Praytime.info

5 replies to this topic

#1 sheikhspear

sheikhspear

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:33 PM

I'm in Birmingham right now and I wanted to check my prayer times. I went to http://praytime.info/ first and then to the website of the local Khoja jamaat: http://www.ksmnet.org/ which displays daily prayer times. I found significant differences, particularly in beginning of Fajr and Maghrib. How can it be? Do we have different methods of calculating prayer times in Shia fiqh that result in such differences? Or does one of these sites simply have it wrong?

Below is a comparison of the times on both websites for today:

praytime.info Fajr: 01:08 Khoja Jamaat Fajr: 2:40

praytime.info Sunrise 4:45 Khoja Jamaat Sunrise: 4:44

praytime.info Dhuhr: 13:08 Khoja Jamaat Dhuhr: 13:13

praytime.info Sunset: 21:31 Khoja jamaat doesnt give Sunset time

praytime.info Maghrib: 22:00 Khoja Jamaat Maghrib: 21:41

Khoja Jamaat doesnt give Asr and Isha times to compare with praytime.info

I just checked the Sunni site islamicfinder.org and the Sunni times for Birmingham today are as follows:

Fajr: 2:31

Sunrise: 4:44

Dhuhr: 1:08

Asr: 5:33

Maghrib: 9:31

Isha: 11:32

So Sunni Fajr time is close to Fajr on the Khoja website, Sunni Dhuhr is identical to praytime.info, Sunni Asr is identical to praytime.info, Sunni Maghrib is understandably identical to Sunset on praytime.info and Sunni Isha is over and hour and a half before Isha on praytime.info

I don't get it.

#2 a believer

a believer

*burp*

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Religion:Islam - Shiite
  • Interests:cricket, gaming, sleeping and islam

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:40 AM

(salam)

I reckon you should follow the Khoja Jamaat one because it seems to be closer, and perhaps let the team at praytime.info know about the bug.

#3 sheikhspear

sheikhspear

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:36 AM

Yes, I'm going to follow the Khoja one during my stay here but my practical problem aside, I'm just really interested in what can be the reason for those differences, do we have different calculation methods that are all acceptable within Shia fiqh?

#4 Chipkali

Chipkali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Interests:Islam

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:16 PM

Strange, it's pretty opposite for me in the States. I live in the east coast and I praytime.info gives me more accurate timings than our local website yahusain.com which seems wayy off. Maybe it's just a glitch?

#5 Liggel

Liggel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Religion:Islam - Shia

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:43 AM

Yes, there is a huge difference in UK from mosque to mosque regarding Fajr times...this difference as big as more than 2 hours.

See here:

UK fajr prayer time

#6 sheikhspear

sheikhspear

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:55 AM

but how can it be? whats the reason for this difference, a sunrise is a sunrise after all

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users