#1 tajammul1784

tajammul1784

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Religion:Islam

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:50 PM

(bismillah)
(salam) Can any one tell me is betting halal or haram including all fields like professional betting in sports , individually or and stock exchange type of business which is like betting and any other category ??????? (salam)

#2 Replicant

Replicant

You'll Never Walk Alone

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,781 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:51 PM

(wasalam)
Betting is haraam because it's a form of gambling.

#3 ElderWand

ElderWand

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:my grandad :) he's really cute.

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:21 PM

Salaams, it is haraam because it is gambling. Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì has forbidden gambling because it's a game of chance which can rule out your fate.
hope that helps!

#4 repenter

repenter

Born With A Vengeance

• Admins
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:01 AM

Actually as far as i've understood betting is haram except for 3 situations:

1. Shooting competition(used to be with bow and arrow, but probably with guns now)
2. Riding(used to be with horses, don't know if cars are in the same category)
3. Swimming.

These three are allowed to bet on, however it is only allowed if you compete yourself.

I would recommend a double check of these claims im making, but im 90% sure its accurate.

#5 Replicant

Replicant

You'll Never Walk Alone

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,781 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:16 AM

1. Shooting competition(used to be with bow and arrow, but probably with guns now)
3. Swimming.

These three are allowed to bet on, however it is only allowed if you compete yourself.

I would recommend a double check of these claims im making, but im 90% sure its accurate.

I've also heard that - but the speaker said to also check with your Marja.

#6 Gibrael

Gibrael

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Religion:Submitter to The All Mighty, Unbiased seeker of Truth
  • Interests:Knowledge, Love of Humanity

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:13 AM

3. Swimming.

(salam)

Thats not betting, thats paying to get into a tournament and winning money if you win the tournament.

(salam)

#7 tajammul1784

tajammul1784

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:23 AM

what do u say about stock exchange ????

#8 repenter

repenter

Born With A Vengeance

• Admins
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:59 AM

(salam)

Thats not betting, thats paying to get into a tournament and winning money if you win the tournament.

(salam)

Lets not get technical now. You basically bet and challenge another person that you can swim faster than they do. Hence the word, betting.

#9 Gibrael

Gibrael

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:44 PM

Lets not get technical now. You basically bet and challenge another person that you can swim faster than they do. Hence the word, betting.

(salam)

At the end of the day, you cant lie to Allah swt. So there is no such thing as being "technical". In a tournament, people pay an amount to enter the tournament and test themselves against others. Part of the money is used to organize, advertise, and pay the winners. How this relates to betting someone who can swim faster is beyond me? Open your eyes, dont close them.

(salam)

#10 2Sam

2Sam
  • Basic Members
  • 31 posts
  • Religion:Follower of Ahl al-Bayt

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:04 PM

what do u say about stock exchange ????

Investing in stocks is (at least according to Sistani) halal. However you shouldn't invest in companies that produces alcoholic beverages etc. (Islamic harmful stuff, check with your merjaja for full facts).

However regarding interest-bearing papers, futures and similiar I don't know.

#11 repenter

repenter

Born With A Vengeance

• Admins
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:55 AM

(salam)

At the end of the day, you cant lie to Allah swt. So there is no such thing as being "technical". In a tournament, people pay an amount to enter the tournament and test themselves against others. Part of the money is used to organize, advertise, and pay the winners. How this relates to betting someone who can swim faster is beyond me? Open your eyes, dont close them.

(salam)

Well, i asked my marja, so i dont have a problem with "BETTING" with a friend on who can swim the fastest. You are just being a over analysing prude really.

#12 Gibrael

Gibrael

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:55 AM

Well, i asked my marja, so i dont have a problem with "BETTING" with a friend on who can swim the fastest. You are just being a over analysing prude really.

(salam)

Your marja has no problem with you betting money against someone else as to who can swim the fastest? So if I can start "betting" in 1 on 1 events like swimming, is billiards ok? Darts? Bowling? Chess? These are all also based on your skills.

As for personally attacking me and calling me a prude, my intentions have nothing to do with appearing to be religious or modest. Over analysing? Hamdillah, we cant debate shia - sunnah on this forum without name calling, now we do it to our brothers and sisters.

(salam)

#13 repenter

repenter

Born With A Vengeance

• Admins
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:08 PM

(salam)

Your marja has no problem with you betting money against someone else as to who can swim the fastest? So if I can start "betting" in 1 on 1 events like swimming, is billiards ok? Darts? Bowling? Chess? These are all also based on your skills.

As for personally attacking me and calling me a prude, my intentions have nothing to do with appearing to be religious or modest. Over analysing? Hamdillah, we cant debate shia - sunnah on this forum without name calling, now we do it to our brothers and sisters.

(salam)

Yes, when my marja says its ok to bet one on one on these things then im fine with it. There are hadith about it as well. Now for the amount that is allowed, i don't know it needs to be researched.

And no, you aren't debating, you are making up your own fatwas without even saying where you got it from. I'm telling you my marja says its ok to bet against a friend or others in these three fields. So yes, you were being a prude, im not going to pamper you when you are stubborn. When you say stuff like, "you can't lie to Allah" or "Open your eyes" you are being a prude as well as calling me a liar and have no intention to debate anything. Fix your attitude before entering a debate and you won't be called a prude.

Now for you education, since your eye is so open:

(Al-Wafi)
- “Angles are present when a competition of horse and camel racing or archery is held. Except for these Three, every competition is gambling and (also) Harām.”

(I couldn't find the english version of my marjas fatwa, but here goes Imam Khomeinis fatwa which is the same)
Q. 101: IS BETTING ON HORSES ETC. ALLOWED?

A: You have been given wrong information. The fact is that in Islam competitions of horse- riding and archery are allowed. Also it is permitted to make a condition that the loser will give so much prize to the winner; and /or that a third party will pay a reward/prize to the winner. But (a third party) betting on who will win or lose in strictly forbidden.

#14 Mansour Hosseini

Mansour Hosseini

Çááåã Õá Úáی ãÍãÏ æ Úáی Âáå æ ÕÍÈå ÇáãäÊÌÈیä

• Unregistered
  • Pip
  • 162 posts
  • Religion:Shia Ja'fari, Islam
  • Interests:Interested in becoming a slave of Allah

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:00 AM

Ahsant brother.

#15 Gibrael

Gibrael

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:16 AM

Yes, when my marja says its ok to bet one on one on these things then im fine with it. There are hadith about it as well. Now for the amount that is allowed, i don't know it needs to be researched.

And no, you aren't debating, you are making up your own fatwas without even saying where you got it from. I'm telling you my marja says its ok to bet against a friend or others in these three fields. So yes, you were being a prude, im not going to pamper you when you are stubborn. When you say stuff like, "you can't lie to Allah" or "Open your eyes" you are being a prude as well as calling me a liar and have no intention to debate anything. Fix your attitude before entering a debate and you won't be called a prude.

Now for you education, since your eye is so open:

(Al-Wafi)
- “Angles are present when a competition of horse and camel racing or archery is held. Except for these Three, every competition is gambling and (also) Harām.”

(I couldn't find the english version of my marjas fatwa, but here goes Imam Khomeinis fatwa which is the same)
Q. 101: IS BETTING ON HORSES ETC. ALLOWED?

A: You have been given wrong information. The fact is that in Islam competitions of horse- riding and archery are allowed. Also it is permitted to make a condition that the loser will give so much prize to the winner; and /or that a third party will pay a reward/prize to the winner. But (a third party) betting on who will win or lose in strictly forbidden.

(salam)

This is also a hadith found along with the ones you quoted.

http://www.al-islam....complete/19.htm

Hazrat Jabir (r.a.) narrates from the report of Imam Muhammad al-Baqir (a.s.) who has quoted from the Holy Prophet (S):
“Every competition is gambling where the loser has to pay a certain amount. Even if it consist of a cashew-nut or wager dung.”

In a competition (tournament), you pay to enter and if you win you get a reward. Everytime I read a hadith or fatwa, they said "competition", which along with this quote would lead one to believe that "betting" 1-1 would be haram.

(salam)

#16 ahmadshia

ahmadshia
  • Basic Members
  • 1 posts
  • Religion:islam

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

since its ok to bet in a tourements does that mean its ok to bet in a poker tournement that still, considering the game is a psycological and thinking game

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users