- - - -

Photo
- - - - -

How Tall Is Imam Ali (as) And Prophet (saw)

12 replies to this topic

#1 new-shia-naqvi

new-shia-naqvi

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Religion:shia

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

i heard there was an event where the prophet (saw) held up imam Ali(as) on his (saw) shoulders to destroy idols ontop of the kaba

now i looked at the size of the kaba, it would take a good 15 people to reach the top of the kaba, so was this a mirracle or the actual height of the prophet (saw) and Ali (as)?

#2 Replicant

Replicant

You'll Never Walk Alone

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,781 posts
  • Religion:Islam

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

The Ka'ba may not have been the same height as it is now.

#3 Abbas0

Abbas0

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Religion:Muslim Shia

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:56 PM

(salam)
Rasoolallah (as) and Imam Ali (as) weren't really taller then normal human beings ( I believe)
But back in the day, the prophets used to be extremely tall (like giants) which is why some of their graves are sooooo long.

I dont believe the Kaaba was any smaller back when the prophet was alive, but I could be wrong.
Maybe someone else could shed more light on this topic, sorry I couldnt be of more help.

(salam)

#4 xstatik2

xstatik2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

Zulfiqar (Imam Ali's Sword) was as tall as him (as). I think there are narrations about battles where his sword plus him would be around 12 - 14 feet in height (when raised) So you can estimate Imam Ali's height from this.

The Prophet (pbuh) must have been really strong to uphold the weight of Amirul Momineen on his shoulders when they were destroying the idols.

#5 .IceMan.

.IceMan.

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Religion:Shia Islam.
  • Interests:Mostly Prophet Muhammad (S) and Prophet David (AS) but also the rest of the Prophets (AS).

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

Zulfiqar (Imam Ali's Sword) was as tall as him (as). I think there are narrations about battles where his sword plus him would be around 12 - 14 feet in height (when raised) So you can estimate Imam Ali's height from this.

The Prophet (pbuh) must have been really strong to uphold the weight of Amirul Momineen on his shoulders when they were destroying the idols.

Wowowowow What the hell did you say?!??! Zulfiqar long as a human? WOW.

#6 macisaac

macisaac

واقفي

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,701 posts
  • Religion:الإسلام
  • Interests:Loving my Queen

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

Wowowowow What the hell did you say?!??! Zulfiqar long as a human? WOW.

I don't know about Dhul Fiqar, however a sword being as long as a human is not unheard of. See the Zweihänder:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zweihänder

#7 new-shia-naqvi

new-shia-naqvi

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:49 PM

what was the size of the kaba at that time? and when were the changes or newly rebuilt structural changes made and by how much? would anyone know?

thanks

#8 LebnaniWBess

LebnaniWBess
  • Basic Members
  • 11 posts
  • Religion:Muslim - Sunni

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:07 PM

Are you sure it was on TOP of the ka'bah or just inside?

#9 new-shia-naqvi

new-shia-naqvi

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:33 PM

yes its i believe a very wel known tradition

#10 Abbas0

Abbas0

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Religion:Muslim Shia

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:46 PM

thats what I was thinking too, but I've been told otherwise as well :unsure:

#11 siraatoaliyinhaqqun

siraatoaliyinhaqqun

Abd Ali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Religion:12 Aimma masomeen a.s
  • Interests:Loving Mohammad wa Aale Mohammad

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:08 AM

Imam Ali asws was asked: who according to you is the bravest (warrior). He asws said: it is rasool Allah saww.

Ya Ali Madad

#12 Purged

Purged

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:50 AM

AOA,

Ghadeer is a great example of Prophet Muhammad (SAWW) strength when he raised Imam Ali (as) with His (SAWW) arms.

WS

Edited by Purged, 27 January 2011 - 06:51 AM.

#13 Athar Shah

Athar Shah
  • Advanced Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:59 PM

According to genealogists our ancestors were all taller than us (averagely speaking). The interesting Question would be exactly how tall was the first Man on earth (Prophet Adam a.s). As time ensues, man produces himself in larger quantities but smaller in height. So in layman terms, the greater the population the smaller the height....

I have been to Israel, Syria and Egypt and after seeing some of the burial sites of past Prophets or relations, I was surprised that some of the lengths of these graves were almost 16-20 feet long. But who knows....maybe they are just made that way.

About Imam Alis (as) sword being as big as him....this is not actually true and if it is, I haven't come across any tradition to support this view. Some traditions do inform that Imam Ali (as) was not the tallest of his circles of companions but was broad and strong boned....and that the edge of his double edged sword was long enough to be seen hanging down to his feet. These traditions dictated the idea that during the desert expeditions one of the ways to identify the Imam amongst his companions was the visualization of the Sword and hence sometimes when people give lectures about his Mightiness at war this tradition comes to light and often is portrayed as if the Sword was as big as him.

Other traditions which are actually more metaphorically applied than literally is the often mentioning of the Imams sword breaking during clashes with the enemies. The traditions report that when the Sword broke the size of the remaining blade in one occasion was as small as the imams own hand and hence when the Dhul-Fiqar became available is poetically suggested that the sword not only did not break but in the battles was as tall as the imam....an expression which means "It stood out from the crowd"....I personally believe this is relation to the style of the Imam's fighting technique and the unique style of the double edged sword itself rather than the sword being as big as the Imam.

I could be wrong!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users