laiba

Why Do We Sunnis Hate Imam Ali?

Rate this topic

(salam)

Why do we sunnis hate imam ali?

Who said we hate Maula Ali (ra)

(bismillah)

(salam)

Maybe hate is too strong a word but certainly, when it comes to praise/recollection of sahaba, the first two caliphs get far more coverage in sunni gatherings than Imam Ali (as).

I guess the reasons are numerous; Shia are explicitly tied to Maula Ali (as) , maybe some 'distance' (mazhaAllah) from the blessed Imam (as) could be to distance from shia? During Hazrat Ali's (as) time as caliph there were numerous civil wars, focusing on the personage would raise too many questions amongst enquiring minds as to the why's and wherefores?

Whatever the reason, it's sad and perverse; imagine if Muslims had given Imam Ali (as) the rightful status and credit? Differences wouldn't have vanished but the bond would have been much stronger.

Allah Hafiz

ALI

Sallam Alliekom

Coming from a Shia "Me", Sunni's Do not Hate Imam Ali (as), they consider him as a pious Brave Companion "Some nickname him as the lion Of Allah" and "One of the 10 promised Paradise"

However Sunni's do have a Strange relationship with Ali (as), for Example as they Praise Him, they also Praise his Enemies who tried to kill him or waged War against him at the same time "Muawiyah" and co.. and they give excuses to those who waged war against him during his Caliphete and having a hard time condeming those who they consider to be "Pious"

the Quran is Clear about the Issue when a Muslim Kills another Muslim, and i sometimes wonder if it Applies on "Companions"

Moreover These Issues within a Sunni Community is hardly mentioned as it'll raise many questions within a rational mind to why a companion we thought to be pious goes and wages war on a "Rightly Guided Caliph" .. it doesnt makes sense..

So in conclusion The Issues of the Caliphet of Imam Ali (as) are to be hidden or to lower down, and Elevate other Sahaba's status to admire "To Over shadow Ali" and keep our minds and attention away from Ali

and if Ali (as) Is mentioned, it would be At the time of the Prophet's Lifetime and his Roles in the Battlefields.. but wouldnt expect much talk about his caliphet and how companions raised swords on him

I think this ^ Shai brother/sister has more knowledge about Sunni belief of Maula Ali (ra) rather then the Sunni bro/sis that started this thread., Most thing that Dead-man wrote I agree with , they sum it up...but I think that some do disrespect him (ra) because of Shia's view on him, Which by the way is completely WRONG...let Shia love Maula Ali (ra) the way they do, but dont degrade his status bcuz of that

Guest Muhamad

ALL MUSLIMS PRAY FOR AHL ALBAYT IN EACH AND EVERY PRAYER DURING THE SHAHADAH ..

be careful laiba!! are you here to cause fitnah???

Sunnis do not hate imam Ali or even the family, they treat Ali with respect, just not above abu bakr and all, and also treat the family with respect, but dont mention them enough or take lessons from them enough

Assalamalaykum.. We(SUNNIS) Have Great Regards & Love Towards Imam Ali(A.S) & Ahl-e-Bayt(A.S) Ofcourse We Take Lessons & Follow Them. Imam Ali(A.S) Is D Commander Of Faithful and Father Of Sufism Of Islam. Moreover Imam Ali(A.S) Is The GREATEST SIGN of our Nabi-Huzoor Rasool(S.A.W) Miraculous Powers.

Ghareebon Da Zamane Vich Sahara Hai ALI(A.S) Maula

MUHAMMAD(S.A.W) Jiss Da Maula Us Da Maula Hai ALI(A.S) Maula

well you guys also say imam hanifa or imam malik.....

well the matter is very simple and straightforward.the op here is caught red-handed pretending to be a sunni while forgetting completely that sunnis never say imam ali and only shias do.u have urself verified this by quoting that we say imam hanifa etc but not imam ali.

now coming to ur invalid objection.we dont say imam ali but imam hanifa fine.but does that really matter?we dont say imam ali just as we dont say imam umar/imam abubakar/imam usman or imam(any other sahabi ra)for tht matter.u could have objected if we had said imam abubakar etc but not imam ali.infact we include ali(ra) in khulfa rashdin which is a high title for us and we praise ali(ra) in this manner.

moreover we say imam hanifa etc just as u say imam khomeni/imam kulaini etc.

i hope i am clear enoug!

However Sunni's do have a Strange relationship with Ali (as), for Example as they Praise Him, they also Praise his Enemies who tried to kill him or waged War against him at the same time "Muawiyah" and co.. and they give excuses to those who waged war against him during his Caliphete and having a hard time condeming those who they consider to be "Pious

resaon for that is that sunnis have the concept that all sahaba are reliable when it comes to hadith now if they discredit one that opens the flood gates for criticism for ALL of them.How can sunnis consider Aisha unreliable when she narrates thousands of ahadith ? issue of muaiwyah is a minor one, his "defence" is more a defence of the concept of sahabi than out of any personal loyalty to mjaiwyah.That being said the rehablitation of ALi as the fourth RAshidun caliph in sunni madhab is a great contribution of sunni Imams which 12ers frequently overlook.Remember for centuries Ali was a Pariah amongst the majoprity of muslims but it was the sahaba and Tabaeen ( the teachers of the sunni Imams) who narrated his merits so much that later generation of sunni scholars were forced to include him as the fourth pious caliph while the ummayyads werre effectively EXCLUDED from the rashidun list despite their propoganda that they ( and not Ali) were the successors of Uthman.Overall sunni compromise position is heavily pro-Alid and luke warm to Ummayyads at best.

resaon for that is that sunnis have the concept that all sahaba are reliable when it comes to hadith now if they discredit one that opens the flood gates for criticism for ALL of them.How can sunnis consider Aisha unreliable when she narrates thousands of ahadith ? issue of muaiwyah is a minor one, his "defence" is more a defence of the concept of sahabi than out of any personal loyalty to mjaiwyah.That being said the rehablitation of ALi as the fourth RAshidun caliph in sunni madhab is a great contribution of sunni Imams which 12ers frequently overlook.Remember for centuries Ali was a Pariah amongst the majoprity of muslims but it was the sahaba and Tabaeen ( the teachers of the sunni Imams) who narrated his merits so much that later generation of sunni scholars were forced to include him as the fourth pious caliph while the ummayyads werre effectively EXCLUDED from the rashidun list despite their propoganda that they ( and not Ali) were the successors of Uthman.Overall sunni compromise position is heavily pro-Alid and luke warm to Ummayyads at best.

Salaam

Ahsant brother! You made a brilliant point in pointing out that this idea of "Fourth rightly guided Caliph" is an idea introduced much later in the sunni school of thought.

Its even evident in Sahih Muslim that Muawiya curses Ali ibn abu Talib(as). This continued for 60 years, every friday prayer, the Khutbas would start with "May Allah Curse Ali ibn abu Talib". The Umayyid's obviously had a very deep hatred for Imam Ali(as) as a result of the victories he brought to the religion of Islam. As RasoolAllah(sawa) says: "Islam did not rise except through Ali's sword and Khadijas wealth".

Furthermore, the hatred harbored towards Ali(as) and his victories are even evident after Imam Hussain(as)'s martyrdom. When in Shaam, just before the Khutba of Bibi Zainab(as), Yazid(LA) states "If only my ancestors at Badr could witness how Khazraj went into panic they would have been very happy after which they would have said "May you never become Paralyzed O Yazid." We have killed the leaders of their Masters, and equaled it to Badr, surely Hashim has played with the kingdom." I dont know how more evident the hatred towards Imam Ali(as) could be that those Umayyids that he defeated in Badr would pass on such hateful feelings of Ameer Al Mu'mineen onto Muawiya and later onto Yazid. Im sure Yazid passed it onto Muawiya the 2nd and so on until the time of Imam Ja'far As-Sadiq. When Bani Umayya was overthrown by the Abbasids. Which, ironically, is also about the time of the emergence of Abu Hanifa and Malik ibn Enes (Students of our 6th imams as mentioned).

Thus one can clearly see, that idea of 4th rightly guided caliph came much later after the martyrdom of Imam Ali(as). Whereas if this were true, there wouldnt have been 3 civil wars during Imam Ali(as)'s reign which later went on to him being cursed for 60 years from the mimbar.

well the matter is very simple and straightforward.the op here is caught red-handed pretending to be a sunni while forgetting completely that sunnis never say imam ali and only shias do.u have urself verified this by quoting that we say imam hanifa etc but not imam ali.

now coming to ur invalid objection.we dont say imam ali but imam hanifa fine.but does that really matter?we dont say imam ali just as we dont say imam umar/imam abubakar/imam usman or imam(any other sahabi ra)for tht matter.u could have objected if we had said imam abubakar etc but not imam ali.infact we include ali(ra) in khulfa rashdin which is a high title for us and we praise ali(ra) in this manner.

moreover we say imam hanifa etc just as u say imam khomeni/imam kulaini etc.

i hope i am clear enoug!

That's not true. Hamz Yusuf even refers to Ali Ibn Abi Talib (as) as Imam Ali...

Anyway, whether you call him an imam or not, according to Ahlus-Sunnah he was still an Imam at one point in his life. When he was rhe 4th Caliph, remember? Then again, I don't know how you can say he was 'Rightly guided'... Obviously, Muawiyah, Aisha, Talha and Zubayr didn't think so. Are you better to judge or these 'holy' personalities?

shi'as look at details and find faults in Sahaba Kiram while ASWJ do all it takes to maintain the "theory" that all Sahaba are just this to enable them to deduce hadith. The Sahabi can only be excluded if his aqida is corrupted all other crimes are tolerable and to a certain degree Tab3 are given almost the same treatment but sunnis do not put up a fierce defence. This is large due to the believe they belong to the best generation (eg Marwan, Walid, Umar Ibn Saad)

My question to the people in this forum how many companions of Ameer ul Mumineen (as) apart from Hz Ammar ibn Yassir (ra) (who narrated very little ahadith for his seniority in companionship) narrated Ahadith of the Prophet (saw) in Sunni sources? (this will hold the key to the million dollar question which sect is closer to Ameer (as))

I came across this instruction from Ameer Muawiya (ra) to Mughaira to prohibit narrating hadith from the Shia of Ali, so i want to see how true this is.

My question to the people in this forum how many companions of Ameer ul Mumineen (as) apart from Hz Ammar ibn Yassir (ra) (who narrated very little ahadith for his seniority in companionship) narrated Ahadith of the Prophet (saw) in Sunni sources? (this will hold the key to the million dollar question which sect is closer to Ameer (as))

Excellent question !

many more than in 12er ithna ashari ahadith.

just look at narrations from jabir b abdullah and abu saeed al khudri who were closer to hashimites in sunni sources alone over a 1000.Even Abu Dharr and Miqdad narrate more than Ammar IMHO

others like abdur rehman b abu layla , abdur rehman b abza, saaeed b jubair, hasan al basri , abu juhaifa , ibn hannifiyah, abu tufayl, jada b hubaira , bara b azib , hasan b ali , zayd b arqam are the well known names in sunni ahadith.

Just because muawiyah may or may not have prohibited mughira it does not mean they could keep a restive population in iraq and medina quiet about their support of ALids.Remeber the incident quoted by Suyuti when the companion Jariya b Qudama comes to muawiyah and their resulting argument.

Thus one can clearly see, that idea of 4th rightly guided caliph came much later after the martyrdom of Imam Ali(as). Whereas if this were true, there wouldnt have been 3 civil wars during Imam Ali(as)'s reign which later went on to him being cursed for 60 years from the mimbar.

Yes but also its true that sunni compromise position has compensated for that over the subsequent centuries by having a heavier tilt towards the Alids esp since the earlier Imams like ABu Hanifa and Malik were political shias ( although not ideological ones as 12ers would like to believe) So please give the sunnis credit for distancing themselves from the tyrants ( atleast theoratically) atleast their earlier Imams

ASWJ of the times of ummayyads is NOT THE SAME beliefs as ASWJ of today I hope the 12er imami friends understand that,the most glaring difference wrt our discussion is a very favorable view of Alids and particulary suportive of all the decisions of ALi in his caliphate althougth they shy away from open criticism of his opponents ( as some of them included very famous sahaba) and generally avoid going in the details.Its a politically correct sunday school version of events.

Edited by Panzerwaffe

Sunnis in general don't hate Imam Ali (as), it's just that they have a weird relation with him. They love both him and his enemies who rebelled against him and injustly accused him of covering the killers of Uthman.