30 replies to this topic

#1 Maisam Haider

Maisam Haider

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:01 AM

Salam,

A British man went to a resturant in USA and ordered a cup of tea. He was utterly surprised when he was handed a glass of cold drink with cubes of ice in it !!

What is the reason that Americans very rarely (almost never) drink tea?...not Iced Tea, the actual tea.

Americans don't even know how a cup of tea is prepared and for them "tea" is only a drink with ice in it. The British would laugh at this concept.

So how did this divide start? Was it the Boston Tea Party of 1773?
http://en.wikipedia....oston_Tea_Party
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Wiki

The British are the second largest per capita tea consumers in the world, with each person consuming on average 2.1 kg per year.[9] The popularity of tea dates back to the 19th century when India was part of the British Empire, and British interests controlled tea production in the subcontinent. It was, however, first introduced in Britain by the Portuguese Catherine of Braganza, queen consort of Charles II of England in the 1660s and 1670s. As tea spread throughout the United Kingdom people started to have tea gardens and tea dances. These would include watching fireworks or a dinner party and dance, concluding with a nice evening tea. The tea gardens lost value after World War II but tea dances are still held today in the United Kingdom.[citation needed]

Tea is usually black tea served with milk (never cream) and sometimes with sugar. Strong tea served with lots of milk and often two teaspoons of sugar, usually in a mug, is commonly referred to as builder's tea. Much of the time in the United Kingdom, tea drinking is not the delicate, refined cultural expression that the rest of the world imagines—a cup (or commonly a mug) of tea is something drunk often, with some people drinking as many as 15-20 cups of tea a day, although the average is around 5. This is not to say that the British do not have a more formal tea ceremony, but for the working class of the United Kingdom, tea breaks are an essential part of any day. Employers generally allow breaks for tea and sometimes biscuits to be served.

The British concept of a 'tea break' during working hours is a term used almost uniformly across the working environment, regardless of whether any tea is actually consumed. The term is often simply shortened to 'tea', essentially indicating a break. This term was also exported to the game of cricket and consequently to most other countries of the former British Empire.

Edited by Maisam Haider, 27 November 2010 - 05:16 AM.

#2 Photi

Photi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts
  • Religion:Shia

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:31 AM

because coffee rules that's why.

#3 PokerFace

PokerFace

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Religion:Shia

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:32 AM

Coffee is just better : ) I started drinking coffee at work... and now i drink it even on the weekends!

#4 Gypsy

Gypsy

Hal Min Nasirin Yansurna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,509 posts
  • Interests:Exposing hypocrisy and double standards.

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:26 AM

(salam)
What a coincidence! I am making tea while responding to this topic.

I always felt coffee taste better, but I quit drinking a long time ago. I only drink tea now. And yes, I drink both hot and cold cup of tea. Not at the same time of course.

The map here shows coffee consumptions in the world
Posted Image

and now for the tea
http://en.wikipedia....tion_per_capita

#5 ~RuQaYaH~

~RuQaYaH~

Alhamdulilah ala niamat al Islam

• Mods
  • 4,831 posts
  • Interests:Islam, politics, history, soccer, philosophy, law

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:32 AM

mmmm coffee.....mmmm tea.

They're both really good. I don't think one is better than the other, each is beautiful in it's own way. :wub:

#6 doobybrother

doobybrother

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Religion:Islam, muhib

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:01 AM

nothing beats doodh pati Posted Image

#7 Gypsy

Gypsy

Hal Min Nasirin Yansurna

• Advanced Members
  • 23,509 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:51 AM

nothing beats doodh pati Posted Image

What is that?

#8 Ali_Hussain

Ali_Hussain

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,743 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:54 AM

mint tea all the way

#9 -Enlightened

-Enlightened

Alif Lam Meem❤

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,875 posts
  • Religion:Peace

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:11 AM

what does it have to do with the sister's forum ?
hehe anyways..

Coffee was invented by arabs ,in the late 13 th century . A man gave to his animal a kind of fruit that he boiled , in the middle east and noticed that his animal didn't sleep at all, (it was night ) . so this man used this boiled fruit to pray salat-ul layl and gave some to his friends . This fruit was brown ,so they called it '' Qahwa '' (which means brown in arabic) .Turkish came to take some too.. so the name turned to '' Kahvé '' and went to france,that they named '' Café '' , to England ''Coffee'' ... and to America after that ''Christophe colomb '' discovered North America,from France :)

#10 kadhim

kadhim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,574 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:24 AM

hehe anyways..

Coffee was invented by arabs ,in the late 13 th century . A man gave to his animal a kind of fruit that he boiled , in the middle east and noticed that his animal didn't sleep at all, (it was night ) . so this man used this boiled fruit to pray salat-ul layl and gave some to his friends . This fruit was brown ,so they called it '' Qahwa '' (which means brown in arabic) .Turkish came to take some too.. so the name turned to '' Kahvé '' and went to france,that they named '' Café '' , to England ''Coffee'' ... and to America after that ''Christophe colomb '' discovered North America,from France :)

Aye, and preceded tea drinking amongst Arabs by several centuries. If memory is correct, Arabs only started with the tea on influence from the Europeans.

And Americans are familiar enough with hot tea.

#11 doobybrother

doobybrother

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Religion:Islam, muhib

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:51 AM

What is that?

Its almost like regular tea, only you don't add water. You let the milk boil and then add loose tea and sugar to it.
Let it boil for a minute with the lid on. You can add sugar afterwards as well. Remove the pot, strain and enjoy!
Some people like to add cardamom while its cooking but I don't like its taste.

#12 Maisam Haider

Maisam Haider

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:34 PM

Nothing.
I opened the thread in the Off-topic forum, but someone moved it to the cooking forum.

#13 lover of imam(a.t.f.s)

lover of imam(a.t.f.s)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 718 posts
  • Religion:SHIA- lover of ahlulbayt (a.s)

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:35 PM

They can ask us the same question " why do we drink tea instead of coffee" hehehe

i like both.. i love cappuccino n french vanilla ... n omgosh many more.. but no black coffee Posted Image

#14 Gypsy

Gypsy

Hal Min Nasirin Yansurna

• Advanced Members
  • 23,509 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:09 AM

Aye, and preceded tea drinking amongst Arabs by several centuries. If memory is correct, Arabs only started with the tea on influence from the Europeans.

I've actually heard about coffee being drunk by the Arabs and then introduced everywhere else in the world. As for tea, I believe Chinese were the first tea drinkers in the world. I always wondered where do black tea originate from since the Chinese tea is quite mild from the black Indian tea.

Do you know that Indians did not drink tea until the British introduce it in the 18th century? Now, India is ranked among the top tea drinking countries.

Nothing.
I opened the thread in the Off-topic forum, but someone moved it to the cooking forum.

I am that someone. This fits right in our cooking forum, don't you think? :)

Come on folks, we eat at least 3 times a day, I am sure we can speak more about food, cooking, recipe ..etc.

#15 esposabella

esposabella

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Interests:God: Who is everywhere and in everyone<br />Reading: Just about everything<br />Traveling: Just about anywhere<br />Walking: Best way to discover your city<br />

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:42 AM

i come from the land of coffee--Colombia but i cant find a taste for it, never have. I dont even like coffee ice cream/cake/candies. But i do love tea. specially Chai tea

#16 Maisam Haider

Maisam Haider

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:18 AM

I am that someone. This fits right in our cooking forum, don't you think?

Okay ! :)

Personally, I like Coffee as well as Tea. I'm not fond of doodh patti - the Sub-continent tea with no water and lots of milk.

Does anyone here enjoy Pink Tea?

For those who like coffee...what is your fav. brand? I like Folgers.

Edited by Maisam Haider, 29 November 2010 - 11:19 AM.

#17 DoubleAgent4

DoubleAgent4

Ya Bab-ul-Hawaij

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts
  • Religion:Shi'i 12er
  • Interests:Iranian politics/history,cooking,reading, intellectual people, sleep, eating :)

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:28 PM

Coffee is bitter, I don't know how anyone can like it, though the smell of it is nice lol...I prefer tea any day!

#18 Hamzi

Hamzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:34 PM

People drink coffee to wake up, coffee is nice but tea is better

#19 ShiaBen

ShiaBen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts
  • Religion:The Path of the Dragon
  • Interests:Dragons

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:50 PM

It is more of a cultural preference I guess.

Most Americans work in the mornings or go to school in the mornings, so because of this situation, a lot of them want to have energy throughout the day, so they drink a lot of coffee.

Tea is like for relaxing indoors, but I think it's just a cultural preference. But by the time many Americans come home, the men will have a bud, while the women, no idea what they usually drink.

#20 ~RuQaYaH~

~RuQaYaH~

• Mods
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:40 PM

I am dying to try Tim Hortons.

#21 Hamzi

Hamzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:43 PM

what r u waiting for

#22 ~RuQaYaH~

~RuQaYaH~

• Mods
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:53 PM

I don't live in Canada and afaik it's not available in Australia.

#23 suus

suus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:09 AM

MMMMMMMMM coffeeeeee LOOL

I love Chai Lattes.... Sooooo yummy.. spiced teas... turkish coffee, american coffee, brazilian columbian, etc...

Been there, DONE that!! :P I kinddd of prefer second cup, but I would go broke since I'm always at uni, so usually Timmy's is the best and cheapest solution. It does taste good, too! WHEN I want to treat myself I get specialty drinks... Gingerbread lattes are in season now!! LOL

I'm a bit of a caffeine addict.. even as I write this I'm thinking of which type of drink I should make lool,

fyi that's one of the reasons I love ramadan, it reminds me of how strong I am to quit the things I love so much for Allah <3

#24 hzsafvi

hzsafvi

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Religion:islam

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:13 AM

Does anyone here enjoy Pink Tea?

If you are talking about the Kashmiri pink salty tea, then I do........

#25 _JuGNii

_JuGNii

... Jhinga La La Hurr Hurr ...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Interests:... Banda Laa Laye Chittar.. Maare Sau [100] , Teh Ginne Ik [1] ...

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:39 PM

i hate the smell of coffee so forget drinkin it..

and agreed wiv the doodh-patti guy.. :!!!: if i ever HAVE to drink it i wud out of all drink doodh-patti.. or umm hot chocolate wiv cream n marshmallows :P

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users