Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baradar_jackson

How Many Shia In Turkey?

11 posts in this topic

I saw these pictures and started thinking: how many Shia are there in Turkey?

5_8902181554_L600.jpg

7_8902181554_L600.jpg

I had always been under the impression that Turkey was 99 percent Sunni?

I can't trust wiki. But this looks nice

I saw these pictures and started thinking: how many Shia are there in Turkey?

5_8902181554_L600.jpg

7_8902181554_L600.jpg

I had always been under the impression that Turkey was 99 percent Sunni?

MashAllah

7 mill sounds great :!!!:

Careful. Before people start celebrating:

The Alevi (Turkish: Alevi; Zazaki and Kurdish: Elewî) are a religious, sub-ethnic and cultural community, primarily in Turkey, numbering in the tens of millions. Alevis are classified as a branch of Shi'a Islam, though there are substantive variances from certain orthodox Shi'a beliefs, traditions, and rituals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alevi

Note that the Wiki article goes on to say that:

Nonetheless, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini decreed Alevis to be part of the Shi'a fold in the 1970s.

Also the population size for Alevis cited in Wiki is nearly double the number quoted earlier in this thread, so may be there are substantial numbers of orthodox 12er Shias?

Edited by Haji 2003

As a conclusion there are some Shiite Muslims in Turkey. It is really ridiculous people get fooled and think it is 99% Sunni in Turkey. It is approx. 20-25 Shiite Muslims. Although not all of them do not belong to twelve sect.

Around 12-18% of the population from what I believe, including both Alevis, Alawis, 12vers, and other kinds of Shiites if there are any. Alevis being the biggest chunk, with 12vers a lot less but more frequent in areas like Igdir, Kars, and Istanbul and Ankara. The Azerbaijanis make a substantial amount of the 12vers in Igdir, Kars, Ankara, and Istanbul.

I can't trust wiki. But this looks nice

That first picture, you sure it's in Turkey?? She has an Azerbaijani flag, so it could be in Baku, or some area in the Republic of Azerbaijan, unless she wanted to make some national point that shes an Azerbaijani living in Turkey, against the hijab ban. Well years back there were some bans in the Republic of Azerbaijan, for higher level universities in some areas, where they banned any other type of uniforms or dress wear including hijabs, but in recent times they lifted the ban, especially after the AKP came to power, it influenced that country's social decisions as well.

thxs for analyzing!

Around 12-18% of the population from what I believe, including both Alevis, Alawis, 12vers, and other kinds of Shiites if there are any. Alevis being the biggest chunk, with 12vers a lot less but more frequent in areas like Igdir, Kars, and Istanbul and Ankara. The Azerbaijanis make a substantial amount of the 12vers in Igdir, Kars, Ankara, and Istanbul.

That first picture, you sure it's in Turkey?? She has an Azerbaijani flag, so it could be in Baku, or some area in the Republic of Azerbaijan, unless she wanted to make some national point that shes an Azerbaijani living in Turkey, against the hijab ban. Well years back there were some bans in the Republic of Azerbaijan, for higher level universities in some areas, where they banned any other type of uniforms or dress wear including hijabs, but in recent times they lifted the ban, especially after the AKP came to power, it influenced that country's social decisions as well.

Nice work done .....

According to Fars News, the rally was held in Istanbul. But it was an anti-Aliyev rally, so they held up Azerbaijani flags and pictures of him.