10 replies to this topic

#1 baradar_jackson

baradar_jackson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,815 posts
  • Religion:220 volts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:04 PM

I saw these pictures and started thinking: how many Shia are there in Turkey?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I had always been under the impression that Turkey was 99 percent Sunni?

#2 lotfilms

lotfilms

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • Religion:Islam

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:14 PM

(bismillah)
(salam)
wiki says 7-11 million
http://en.wikipedia....Turkey#Religion

was salam

Edited by lotfilms, 10 May 2010 - 02:14 PM.

#3 Ali Zara

Ali Zara

Timurid Al Kashmiri Al Hindi

• Banned
  • 464 posts
  • Religion:Shīatu Alī / Twelver Shi'ism !
  • Interests:Everything that has life ! :)

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:13 AM

I can't trust wiki. But this looks nice

I saw these pictures and started thinking: how many Shia are there in Turkey?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I had always been under the impression that Turkey was 99 percent Sunni?

#4 jettlee1

jettlee1
  • Basic Members
  • 10 posts
  • Religion:islam

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:23 AM

7 million about.

#5 Devout

Devout

Real eyes realize real lies

• Unregistered
  • PipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Religion:Islam
  • Interests:Life

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:32 AM

MashAllah

7 mill sounds great :!!!:

#6 Haji 2003

Haji 2003

Shoekeeper

• Mods
  • 7,003 posts
  • Interests:Apple, Canon, Rohan, Singapore Airlines, LSE

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:47 AM

Careful. Before people start celebrating:

The Alevi (Turkish: Alevi; Zazaki and Kurdish: Elewî) are a religious, sub-ethnic and cultural community, primarily in Turkey, numbering in the tens of millions. Alevis are classified as a branch of Shi'a Islam, though there are substantive variances from certain orthodox Shi'a beliefs, traditions, and rituals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alevi

Note that the Wiki article goes on to say that:

Nonetheless, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini decreed Alevis to be part of the Shi'a fold in the 1970s.

Also the population size for Alevis cited in Wiki is nearly double the number quoted earlier in this thread, so may be there are substantial numbers of orthodox 12er Shias?

Edited by Haji 2003, 12 May 2010 - 07:50 AM.

#7 Nima

Nima

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:44 PM

As a conclusion there are some Shiite Muslims in Turkey. It is really ridiculous people get fooled and think it is 99% Sunni in Turkey. It is approx. 20-25 Shiite Muslims. Although not all of them do not belong to twelve sect.

#8 ShiaBen

ShiaBen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts
  • Religion:The Path of the Dragon
  • Interests:Dragons

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:53 PM

Around 12-18% of the population from what I believe, including both Alevis, Alawis, 12vers, and other kinds of Shiites if there are any. Alevis being the biggest chunk, with 12vers a lot less but more frequent in areas like Igdir, Kars, and Istanbul and Ankara. The Azerbaijanis make a substantial amount of the 12vers in Igdir, Kars, Ankara, and Istanbul.

I can't trust wiki. But this looks nice

That first picture, you sure it's in Turkey?? She has an Azerbaijani flag, so it could be in Baku, or some area in the Republic of Azerbaijan, unless she wanted to make some national point that shes an Azerbaijani living in Turkey, against the hijab ban. Well years back there were some bans in the Republic of Azerbaijan, for higher level universities in some areas, where they banned any other type of uniforms or dress wear including hijabs, but in recent times they lifted the ban, especially after the AKP came to power, it influenced that country's social decisions as well.

#9 Ali Zara

Ali Zara

Timurid Al Kashmiri Al Hindi

• Banned
  • 464 posts
  • Religion:Shīatu Alī / Twelver Shi'ism !
  • Interests:Everything that has life ! :)

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:59 AM

thxs for analyzing!

Around 12-18% of the population from what I believe, including both Alevis, Alawis, 12vers, and other kinds of Shiites if there are any. Alevis being the biggest chunk, with 12vers a lot less but more frequent in areas like Igdir, Kars, and Istanbul and Ankara. The Azerbaijanis make a substantial amount of the 12vers in Igdir, Kars, Ankara, and Istanbul.

That first picture, you sure it's in Turkey?? She has an Azerbaijani flag, so it could be in Baku, or some area in the Republic of Azerbaijan, unless she wanted to make some national point that shes an Azerbaijani living in Turkey, against the hijab ban. Well years back there were some bans in the Republic of Azerbaijan, for higher level universities in some areas, where they banned any other type of uniforms or dress wear including hijabs, but in recent times they lifted the ban, especially after the AKP came to power, it influenced that country's social decisions as well.

#10 imranali

imranali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:55 AM

Nice work done .....

#11 baradar_jackson

baradar_jackson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,815 posts
  • Religion:220 volts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:33 PM

According to Fars News, the rally was held in Istanbul. But it was an anti-Aliyev rally, so they held up Azerbaijani flags and pictures of him.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users