Sign in to follow this  
BabyBeaverIsAKit

Good English Translation Of The Quran

Rate this topic

To be honest all of the English translations of the Quran I have tried to read are horrible. I can never understand what it is trying to say. They need to get somebody who actually knows English to translate the Quran.

Anyway... for me its Farsi translation FTW so I don't have any suggestions (other than to tell him to not get a Saudi translation because they are known to mistranslate a lot of ayahs for their personal agenda).

Don't recommend old translations. They are usually done in obsolete English vernaculars, sometimes literally translated, and hard to understand. Such as Pickthall, Yousaf Ali et al.

Of relatively newer translations, I have seen Abdul Haleem and Shakir Ali. I don't know their sectarian affiliations and how much it affects their translating efforts, but I would recommend Shakir Ali.

Abdul Haleem is in print. I doubt if Shakir Ali is.

Edited by Marbles

A Catholic Christian guy has asked me for recommendations for a good English translation of the Quran. Can I get some suggestions on what to recommend?

Thank you.

any with the tafsir, since he most likely will get confused without it. pooya/ali is a good translation, although online i think only the commentary is available and not their translations of each verse. the hardback version of the pooya/ali translation is better and has more information than the commentary al-islam offers online. or the light of the quran from maaref-foundation.com should do. i don't remember the thread, but i think Spizo posted about english qurans and which ones were good, i think she mentioned 4 of them. maybe try the search, but i doubt it works.

Not perfect, but I've found Arthur J. Arberry's to be one of the all around best for combining accuracy and eloquence. Palmer's (the translation, not the notes) is surprisingly useful for my purposes, but I wouldn't recommend it for this.

I own about 6 different translations in print, plus the two iPod versions I have share 8 or 9 between them. I like Shakir, but honestly the easiest to read is Tarif Khalidi's translation currently in print out of Penguin's house. Its great for getting an accurate read without having to wade through awkward verbage that can crop up when translators try to mimic an Arabic-specific grammatical construction in English. However, I do go to the iPod versions when studying something in particular because of the ease of flipping between translations. One of them has about 30 total translations into different languages along with a great transliteration - something that is crucial for memorization while still learning to decipher Arabic script!

The one by Ali Quli Qarai is by far the best one I have come across in terms of the translations. It is available at ICAS in London.

What is ICAS, brother ? Where can I get a copy of Ali Quli Qarai's translation ?

The easiest to read is Tarif Khalidi's translation currently in print out of Penguin's house.

Where can I get it, brother ?

Apart from the fact that his English is very weak, Shakir distorts the sense by being too literal.

I definitely think it should taken off the shelf.

Not to mention it's largely just a plagiary of Mohammed Ali Lahore's Ahmadi translation.

Ive been reading The Qu'ran text, translation and commentary by Abdullah Yuauf Ali, Ive really been enjoying it and the notes that Abdullah puts are helpful. I got it on amazon.com after reading the comments. I would recomend it. Hope this helpful.

Why do people always seem to criticize Yusuf Ali's translation, the guys gets no love anywhere. I've got his transaltion at home and i think he did a good job.

Shakir is good too but sometime he gets confusing, so does Yusuf Ali.

I'd recommend M.H. Shakir (around $5) for dawah purposes since it'll be cheaper than paying around $40 for the Ali/Pooya translation. Ahmed Ali's translation is decent, but it may be more expensive than Shakir's; plus, I think Shakir's may be better and more widely available than Ahmed Ali's.

An alternative for dawah purposes: you can get any translation, whatever is cheapest, since many stores sell in bulk.

Edited by gogiison2