18 replies to this topic

#1 janali

janali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:52 PM

(bismillah)

Ive read this question a number of times on the forums, but still no answer?

when do our scholars say the folding of hands was introduced, and when do sunni scholars say?

(salam)

#2 stranger in town

stranger in town

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Religion:Islam Sunni

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:31 PM

Assalamualaikum.

Not every Sunni fold their hands in salat. Maliki Sunni (but not all) do not fold their hand in salat.

Sunni fold their hands in salat in three different ways. First, fold hands on belly. Second, fold hands on right side of belly. Third, fold hands on chest.

And why Sunni fold their hands ?. According to Sunni scholars, that's the right way in salat.

#3 janali

janali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:39 PM

I am still looking for an answer with refs?

#4 janali

janali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:29 PM

???????????????????

#5 Nazar_Abbas

Nazar_Abbas

But i can't help falling in love with you !!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:-----

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:04 PM

Any answers ?? :unsure:

#6 janali

janali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:38 PM

come on Shia?

#7 Yousef Shia Man

Yousef Shia Man
  • Basic Members
  • 8 posts
  • Religion:Shia Muslim

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:52 AM

Because the Sunni's would have them in their pockets if they didn't. Honestly I haven't a clue and could care less what the Sunni do they are all brainwashed into killing children.

#8 Faris-Al-Hujjat

Faris-Al-Hujjat

Wannabe a Knight in the Army of The Hujjat (as)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Religion:Usooli
  • Interests:Jafar, Humanity, Relegion, History, Mind Sciences, Following Mohammad Wa Aale Mohammad

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:17 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

http://www.shiachat....iqh-comparison/

Learn , Follow and Spread...

#9 Qa'im

Qa'im

The Hadith Guy

• Mods
  • 4,557 posts
  • Religion:Islam

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:45 PM

(salam)

Here's something I said on another thread:

(salam)

I think it was a Persian Zoroastrian import into Sunni Islam. Abu Hanifa, was from Kufa, and Ahmed ibn Hanbal came from Khurasan, both of which were Persian in origin prior to their fall to the Muslim armies in the time of 'Umar. I remember seeing a multitude of Zoroastrian art, depicting the method of prayer, and it looked much like the Sunni prayer: right hand over left hand placed above the belly button.

What's interesting is that Imam Malik (founder of the Maliki school) was from Medina, and within Malikism there is ikhtilaf on the issue of crossing hands or hands by the sides in prayer. In this video, we find a Maliki instructing to pray with one's hands by his side:

It is reported that Imam Qasim, Imam Malik's foremost student, asked Imam Malik what his position was regarding those that prayed with folded hands. He is reported to have said "I have never seen the inhabitants of Medina pray with their hands folded". I find it interesting that in Medina, the Muslims were praying with the hands by their sides, while in the former Zoroastrian regions, they were praying like Zoroastrians. The Imams (as), of course, prayed the correct way despite their places of abode.

As for Jewish imports into the religion, I doubt this. The Jews didn't have a large presence. They used to have the Bani Qurayza tribe in Medina, but most of them were wiped out after Khandaq, and their remnants fled to Khaybar, where they were wiped out again. We also read in Sahih Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 56, Number 664:

Narrated 'Aisha:
That she used to hate that one should keep his hands on his flanks while praying. She said that the Jew used to do so

So it's likely that the Jews of Medina were actually praying the way we do today. So then comes the question, why do orthodox Jews pray with their hands crossed? Possibly because of the Babylonian exile - many theologians agree that Judaism was like two different religions before and after their exile, because of their adoption of eastern concepts and myths. It would make sense for this ikhtiflaf to be in Judaism as well at the time of A'isha. The other possibility is because they had been living amongst Muslims for many centuries.

What should be noted is that in the Ja'fari school, it seems that women are not supposed to keep their hands at their sides, but place them on their chest "at their breasts." This is on page 335 of al-Kafi:

http://www.alhikmeh....alkafi03/17.htm

I hope this was helpful.

#10 janali

janali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:10 PM

[has anyone asked this question to a marja?

#11 janali

janali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:45 AM

does this mean if i ask a Shia Marja, he will tell me that Sunnis pray with their hands folded because of the zoroastrians!

#12 Faris-Al-Hujjat

Faris-Al-Hujjat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Jafar, Humanity, Relegion, History, Mind Sciences, Following Mohammad Wa Aale Mohammad

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:08 AM

^I think your questions is answered....unless you want to make a fuss about it!

Read the link above

#13 janali

janali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:38 PM

not making a fuss
it's just that when i am asked how did it ceome mustahab and not wajib for the three other schools, do i say zorastrians, or umar or?

#14 Faris-Al-Hujjat

Faris-Al-Hujjat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:17 AM

Again:
http://www.shiachat....iqh-comparison/

read please the above link

ask them instead:

Who authorized their so called caliphs / self proclaimed caliphs?

When they bring you the proof to pray with arms folded, then we will think of providing them proof of unfolding arms during prayers?

the three other schools are made up schools of by the ummayyads and abbasids who tried their all to Diminsh and destroy even the names of Ahl Al BaytPosted Image let alone alterations in the procedures & regulations...

http://www.answering...at/en/chap3.php

if you read you dont need to ask again...

unless you want to post the material here rather than just the website address

#15 Moravid

Moravid
  • Banned
  • 22 posts
  • Religion:Medinese Islam

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:10 AM

What is the proof it was a Zoroastrian import into Islam? beside linking Aba Hanifa peace be upon him with magian religion because he was born there? Ahmed b. Hanbal was actually an Arab born in Khorasan. As I said previously, folding hands is an abrogated practice, like raf' al yadain etc. these two acts were practiced by the Prophet, However, in the last few months the Prophet sough to further differentiate from Ahle Kitab in Prayer so he dropped his hands to his blessed sides and no longer raised his hands before and after ruku.

#16 Qa'im

Qa'im

The Hadith Guy

• Mods
  • 4,557 posts
  • Religion:Islam

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:49 AM

(salam)

What is the proof it was a Zoroastrian import into Islam? beside linking Aba Hanifa peace be upon him with magian religion because he was born there? Ahmed b. Hanbal was actually an Arab born in Khorasan. As I said previously, folding hands is an abrogated practice, like raf' al yadain etc. these two acts were practiced by the Prophet, However, in the last few months the Prophet sough to further differentiate from Ahle Kitab in Prayer so he dropped his hands to his blessed sides and no longer raised his hands before and after ruku.

The place a person lives for most of his life has much to do with their religious practices. In the opinion of Imam ibn Qasim, who was a student of Imam Malik, the people of Medina prayed with their hands by their sides. This was happening at the same time as people in the former Zoroastrian regions were praying the same way Zoroastrians do.

Posted Image

It's likely that the Zoroastrians there who accepted Islam simply carried on this practice, until it was picked up by the scholars from that region. Ahmed ibn Hanbal was born in Khorasan and died in Baghdad, and Abu Hanifa was born in Kufa and died in Baghdad as well. It's not hard line evidence, but it is a likely possibility.

As for Ahl al-Kitab's prayer, if you refer to my earlier post, there is a reference to A'isha's narrations, which says the Jews at the time were praying with their hands on their flanks. I also point out that women in Islam were praying with their hands on their chest as per Ahl al-Bayt's (as) narrations on the issue.

Do you have a reference of the Prophet dropping his hands after having them crossed? I'd like to see it.

#17 caliph

caliph
  • Banned
  • 21 posts
  • Religion:muslim

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:18 PM

maybe you should study the 4 madhabs then youll know why

#18 A true Sunni

A true Sunni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,575 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:26 PM

maybe you should study the 4 madhabs then youll know why

does that mean you dont know the answer lol

#19 Offeror

Offeror
  • Basic Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:52 PM

You guys are asking for references from people who haven't studied hadith, and have no background of this subject.
So if no references are being produced, don't be surprised.

I think the question is a non-issue.
The really important questions are those that relate to the fundamentals of Islam.
You should be focusing on those.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users