43 replies to this topic

#1 yonus

yonus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

Salam aleikum,

It was said that a man from Rome has seen Imam Ali (as ) and he drawn him on the skin of deer .

Here is the picture in the italian museum . Roma

http://www.ahyaarab....97.imgcache.jpg

#2 Abdaal

Abdaal

• Banned
  • 4,213 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:33 PM

This is the closest portrait to the description of Imam Ali (as). However, we cannot say its exact.

#3 Nazar_Abbas

Nazar_Abbas

But i can't help falling in love with you !!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:-----

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:22 PM

Oh, thank you for sharing !

#4 Lord Botta

Lord Botta

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Religion:Ahlul Sunnah wal Jama'a

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:23 PM

Looks like Kimbo Slice.

#5 ibnhaidarali

ibnhaidarali

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  • Religion:Ahlus Sunnah
  • Interests:Sunni / Shia discourse

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:16 PM

Looks like Kimbo Slice.

LOL

Salam aleikum,

It was said that a man from Rome has seen Imam Ali (as ) and he drawn him on the skin of deer .

Brother is this hadeeth sahih? Which shia hadeeth book can i find it in?

#6 aladdin

aladdin

ÈöÓúãö Çááóøåö ÇáÑóøÍúãóäö ÇáÑóøÍöíãö

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts
  • Religion:Shia

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:39 PM

When the movie, "The Message (1976)" was made with Anthony Quinn a classical actor, all the faces of the sahabas were shown. It included the faces of abu Bakr, Omar, Usman and so forth.

But out of respect to Islam, two faces were never shown.

One of them being the rasool of Allah, nabi Mohammad (pbuh), whose face was never shown.

And, the another one was the greatest sahabi imam Ali (as), whose face was also not shown.

However, one could see the Zulfiqar in forefront and winning all wars for Islam. One can see the Zulfiqar, but one cannot see the hand of the Lion of Allah (as).

This is the respect shown to both rasool Allah Mohammad (pbuh) and imam Ali (as) by non-Muslims.

And, this is the respect, we as Muslims should preserve.

#7 Abdul Qaim

Abdul Qaim

Muhibb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Religion:Rāfiḍī

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:31 PM

Looks like Kimbo Slice.

I had to look up Google to find out who Kimbo Slice is. I chuckled when I saw his photo. That said, how do you know what he looks like. You been spending time out of your rijaal studies to watch a little wrestling (or whatever it that Kimbo does) ? :P

#8 Abdul Qaim

Abdul Qaim

Muhibb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Religion:Rāfiḍī

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:49 PM

Salam aleikum,

Here is the picture in the italian museum . Roma

http://www.ahyaarab....97.imgcache.jpg

Looks like a photo rather than a drawing, so unless it's been enhanced, it's a fake. Anyway, AFAIC, we shouldn't be wasting our time with images of the Prophets or Aimmah. At least that's my 2c worth ...

#9 Glorfindel

Glorfindel
  • Advanced Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:50 PM

When the movie, "The Message (1976)" was made with Anthony Quinn...It included the faces of abu Bakr, Omar, Usman and so forth.
This is the respect shown to both rasool Allah Mohammad (pbuh) and imam Ali (as) by non-Muslims...

Tewfik El-Hakim, A.B. Jawdat El-Sahhar, A.B. Rahman El-Sharkawi, Mohammad Ali Maher wrote the screenplay (along with H.A.L Craig) and Moustapha Akkad was the producer and director of it - as you can see only one of the major contributors was a non-Muslim, the rest were Muslim.

And Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman (raa) are not shown in the film - either the arabic or the english version.

Edited by Glorfindel, 22 March 2010 - 08:52 PM.

#10 14infallibles

14infallibles

ÇáÍãÏ ááå ÑÈ ÇáÚÇáãíä

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • Religion:ÌÚÝÑí ÅãÇãí

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:52 PM

I had to look up Google to find out who Kimbo Slice is. I chuckled when I saw his photo. That said, how do you know what he looks like. You been spending time out of your rijaal studies to watch a little wrestling (or whatever it that Kimbo does) ? :P

Haha :!!!: :!!!:
Same here!!

#11 Qa'im

Qa'im

The Hadith Guy

• Mods
  • 4,581 posts
  • Religion:Islam

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:51 PM

(salam)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I hear that towards the end of the life of Amir al-Mu'mineen (as), his beard was very white, "like cotton". Though one can say this is an early depiction. I'll have to hand it to the artist, it looks pretty accurate and not exaggerated like most depictions. I'm not a fan of images either way, but yeah.

Edited by Qa'im, 22 March 2010 - 09:51 PM.

#12 Ibn al-Hussain

Ibn al-Hussain

[-Talib e Ilm-]

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,488 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:28 PM

(salam)

Who was this Roman and when did he meet Imam Ali (as)? Was it after the Prophet's (pbuh) death or after? If it was before the Prophet's death - wouldn't he rather draw the Prophet (pbuh) who was a more important figure? Even if it was after the Prophet (pbuh), wouldn't he rather draw the rulers of the time or did he come all the way from Rome and only decided to meet and draw Imam Ali (as) from the thousands of individuals that lived in Medina. And if it was after the death of Uthman, then I would assume then that would be defined as "towards the end of the life of Amir al-Mu'mineen (as)" as per the above post of Qa'im, and well then that doesn't really fit the description does it. Did he draw any one else? Any other companions?

Wassalam

Edited by Aal-e-Imran, 22 March 2010 - 10:31 PM.

#13 Abdaal

Abdaal

• Banned
  • 4,213 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:32 PM

MMA is awesome. I think every Muslim male should train under the MMA.

(salam)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I hear that towards the end of the life of Amir al-Mu'mineen (as), his beard was very white, "like cotton". Though one can say this is an early depiction. I'll have to hand it to the artist, it looks pretty accurate and not exaggerated like most depictions. I'm not a fan of images either way, but yeah.

Here is the description.

Hadrat Ali, The Man

Physical appearance

Hadrat Ali was of medium-high height. He had a superb head with a face as noble as the man himself. His nose was straight, and his mouth was beautifully formed. His eyes were most commanding, being full of light and luster. There was an note of music in his voice. There was an aura of spirituality and a strong personal magnetism about him. In his youth he was handsome and full of fiery vigour. When he was older he became corpulent and bulky. His gray hair gave way to baldness. His beard, however, remained thick and luxuriant, and he often dyed it red. He was stout, genial, charitable, meditative, reserved, and he was a man who towered high above the people around him because of his intellectual and spiritual attainments.

http://muslim-canada.org/hadratali.htm

#14 aladdin

aladdin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:49 PM

His nose was straight, and his mouth was beautifully formed.

The picture doesn't show a straight Arab nose, especially from bani Hashim. The nose in the picture is more likely of Kimbo Slice.

As suggest by Lord Botta, it is probably a doctored picture of Kimbo Slice.

This is the first time I agree with Lord Botta on anything. I guess it always the first time!

#15 Frosty

Frosty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Religion:Islam Shi'a Usooli

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:13 PM

That is awesome, I am definately putting that on a shirt. The story is epic to.

#16 bint_ali

bint_ali
  • Basic Members
  • 18 posts
  • Religion:shia islam

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:19 PM

i am really against this type of drawings.

& i really surprised why peoples are so blind!

One person from rome! who the hell was he?

No-body knows. Just blind faith.

In one of the forum i realize one fact: One of the sunni guy presented the physical structure of imam ali from his book (may be of 300-400 AH), then shia starts calling it mockery of imam ali. & now here you shia's believing one man of rome!

Is this not mockery of imam ali?

#17 aladdin

aladdin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:27 PM

Yes, I fully agree it is a mockery of imam Ali (as)!

#18 Basim Ali

Basim Ali

Unity - in all walks of life

• Mods
  • 4,679 posts
  • Interests:Servitude of my Lord and the closest ones to Him

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:49 AM

(salam),

That said, how do you know what he looks like. You been spending time out of your rijaal studies to watch a little wrestling (or whatever it that Kimbo does) ? :P

That's because he has a life. :P

My view about the picture is that it is utter nonsense. :angry: This suits him more:
Posted Image
I could just look at this picture all day long. :wub: :wub:

For anyone who disagrees, here are two illustrations of the Prophet (pbuh). Does that make him look Chinese, and have hair reaching his waist?
Posted Image
Posted Image

wa (salam)

#19 Qa'im

Qa'im

The Hadith Guy

• Mods
  • 4,581 posts
  • Religion:Islam

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:01 AM

(salam)

The depiction in post 18 is just your stereotypical good looking man, and isn't based on any historic descriptions of the Imam (as).

I've heard a number of times that the Imam was darker skinned (in contrast to the Prophet (pbuh)), light mustache and thick white beard (Shi'i fiqh on a beard is that it should be as long as a hand's grasp of it), muscular, a belly and bulky figure, etc.

Let's not paganize the religion though:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Qa'im, 23 March 2010 - 11:02 AM.

#20 macisaac

macisaac

واقفي

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,701 posts
  • Religion:الإسلام
  • Interests:Loving my Queen

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:05 AM

Of course the story just made up and I highly doubt you'll find this picture in some Roman museum. As to why I'm so certain the story isn't true, and why the picture isn't likely more than a hundred or so years old (if that), it's because no one, Roman or otherwise, drew like that back then. Here's artwork from around that time period (I think I've posted this image before):

455px-Meister_der_Demetrius-Kirche_in_Saloniki_002.jpg

See how different it is?

And anyhow, do you really think Amir al-Mu'mineen (as) would have sat down and posed for someone to draw a picture of him??

#21 Abu'l Fadl

Abu'l Fadl

• Banned
  • 261 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:09 PM

(salam),

That's because he has a life. :P

My view about the picture is that it is utter nonsense. :angry: This suits him more:
Posted Image
wa (salam)

Do you actually believe that this picture is even near to the Imâm (ÑÖí Çááå Úäå)? These are typical some sort of Persian drawings like this one;

Posted Image

#22 bint_ali

bint_ali
  • Basic Members
  • 18 posts
  • Religion:shia islam

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:18 PM

very close.

or almost same.

This suits him more:
Posted Image

Really blind faith.

May Allah guide you.

#23 Basim Ali

Basim Ali

Unity - in all walks of life

• Mods
  • 4,679 posts
  • Interests:Servitude of my Lord and the closest ones to Him

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:19 PM

(salam),

Do you actually believe that this picture is even near to the Imâm (ÑÖí Çááå Úäå)? These are typical some sort of Persian drawings like this one;

Posted Image

Nope. I don't believe it is even near to the real appearance of Imam Ali (as). But pay it a thought; if mere imagination of a person can make the Imams look so handsome and beautiful, how handsome must they be in real life. After all, Allah is the 'Best of Creators'. (23:14)

The picture yunus posted, is definitely less accurate than the one I posted. It is a result of poor imagination + poor artistic skill + poor resources + the hand of a man jealous of Imam Ali (as) + a possible inspiration from Kimbo Slice. ;)

wa (salam)

#24 14infallibles

14infallibles

ÇáÍãÏ ááå ÑÈ ÇáÚÇáãíä

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • Religion:ÌÚÝÑí ÅãÇãí

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

Subhanallah !! 23 Posts on this?!

#25 Abdaal

Abdaal

• Banned
  • 4,213 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:28 PM

(salam)

Posted Image

Compare this to the Iraqi version of Guru Nanak.

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users