Sign in to follow this  
Shay

Water For Africa

@Shay

To help kick this year off with a great start spiritually, an initiative has begun for building a well in Africa. More information is available here: Click Me!

Water Supply, Hygiene and Sanitation is one of the principles of the WHO/WPRO Charter, which states that the right to water as a human right, and making drinking-water a reality for all. In their words,

"the human right to water is indispensable for leading a life in human dignity. It is a prerequisite for the realization of other human rights."

Some unreal but true facts:

* 2.5 billion people in the world do not have access to adequate sanitation, this is almost two fifths of the world's population. (WHO/UNICEF)

* 1.4 million children die every year from diarrhoea caused by unclean water and poor sanitation - 4,000 child deaths a day or one child every 20 seconds. This equates to 160 infant school classrooms lost every single day to an entirely preventable public health crisis. (WHO/WaterAid)

* Some 1.1 billion people in developing countries have inadequate access to water, and 2.6 billion lack basic sanitation.

* Access to piped water into the household averages about 85% for the wealthiest 20% of the population, compared with 25% for the poorest 20%.

*A mere 12 percent of the world’s population uses 85 percent of its water, and these 12 percent do not live in the Third World.

* Globally, diarrhoea is the leading cause of illness and death, and 88 per cent of diarrhoeal deaths are due to a lack of access to sanitation facilities, together with inadequate availability of water for hygiene and unsafe drinking water.

* Some 1.8 million child deaths each year as a result of diarrhoea

* Close to half of all people in developing countries suffering at any given time from a health problem caused by water and sanitation deficits.

* Millions of women spending several hours a day collecting water

* 400 million children have no access to safe water (1 in 5)

* The weight of water that women in Africa and Asia carry on their heads is commonly 20kg, the same as the average airport luggage allowance.

* The average person in the developing world uses 10 litres of water every day for their drinking, washing and cooking. The average European uses 200 litres of water every day for their drinking, washing and cooking. North Americans use 400 litres.

* To these human costs can be added the massive economic waste associated with the water and sanitation deficit.… The costs associated with health spending, productivity losses and labour diversions … are greatest in some of the poorest countries. Sub-Saharan Africa loses about 5% of GDP, or some $28.4 billion annually, a figure that exceeds total aid flows and debt relief to the region in 2003

Please take the time to truly absorb the meaning of these bits of information.

[2:254] O you who believe, you shall give to charity from the provisions we have given to you, before a day comes where there is no trade, no nepotism, and no intercession.

[2:270] Any charity you give, or a charitable pledge you fulfill, God is fully aware thereof.

[2:272] Any charity you give is for your own good. Any charity you give shall be for the sake of God. Any charity you give will be repaid to you, without the least injustice.

[2:274] Those who give to charity night and day, secretly and publicly, receive their recompense from their Lord; they will have nothing to fear, nor will they grieve.

[3:92] You cannot attain righteousness until you give to charity from the possessions you love. Whatever you give to charity, God is fully aware thereof.

[3:134] who give to charity during the good times, as well as the bad times. They are suppressors of anger, and pardoners of the people. God loves the charitable.

On 2/9/2010 at 2:18 AM, hasten_his_reappearance said:

Can I make a recommendation ?

How about FOOD FOR GAZA ?

or

Money for Orphans in Lebanon ?

Salams,

I'm so sorry, I only saw this now! I havent been on here in ages.

Alhamdulillah the money was raised in March, and Somalia will be getting a well woohoo! The response was overwhelming and I've been asked to do this annually.

Your suggestions are great, but the reason I chose this was 1) Its something thats grossly neglected and that many suffer/die from and 2) Its easily coordinated since there are organisations who simply take your money and directly use it to build a well. With the other two, I personally dont know how to go about doing it. I mean, whats the budget, the organisation etc? It'd be great if someone who knew that sort of stuff would do it :)

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum 

Until this very day, our African sisters still carry water on their heads and hands and Mash'Allah hold their children behind their back.  

Building a well is sadaqa jariyya.

Where will you build this year?  The site is expired.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah