WHAT IS THE CONCEPT OF TAQLEED?

10 replies to this topic

#1 alisyed1214

alisyed1214
  • Basic Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:55 PM

Dear momineen,

i have a question, that what is the concept of taqleed? is taqleed wajib? give solid reference from books from shia point of view?

regards,

#2 postmaster1923

postmaster1923

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,387 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:40 PM

Read through these discussions first:
Taqlid - Evidance based on Religion
Is Taqleed Wajib?

You will find that the word itself means different things to different people, but generally means following reputed scholars in religious rulings. Clearly, we are ordered in the Quran to follow those who are most knowledgeable. The difference of opinion revolves around determining who is most knowledgeable, and also about degree of individual responsibility versus blind adherence to fatwas.

Edited by smiley, 04 December 2009 - 02:43 PM.

#3 alisyed1214

alisyed1214
  • Basic Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:03 AM

Read through these discussions first:
Taqlid - Evidance based on Religion
Is Taqleed Wajib?

You will find that the word itself means different things to different people, but generally means following reputed scholars in religious rulings. Clearly, we are ordered in the Quran to follow those who are most knowledgeable. The difference of opinion revolves around determining who is most knowledgeable, and also about degree of individual responsibility versus blind adherence to fatwas.

brother, u said that we are ordered in the Quran to follow those who are most knowledgeable. but u didn't give any reference from Quran about Taqleed? pls give me the reference from Holy Quran about Taqleed?

regards,

#4 postmaster1923

postmaster1923

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,387 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:38 AM

Quran says follow those who are knowledgeable. It is up to you to determine degree of following and who is most knowledgeable.

Read those two discussions I linked. I don't really have anything else to add to what was discussed there.

#5 alisyed1214

alisyed1214
  • Basic Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:30 PM

Quran says follow those who are knowledgeable. It is up to you to determine degree of following and who is most knowledgeable.

Read those two discussions I linked. I don't really have anything else to add to what was discussed there.

brother, u quote ayat, but in this ayat where is mention the word taqleed or marjah? give me a solid reference bro....

#6 khuram

khuram

13 rajab 2010 . Mashad

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts
  • Religion:Hussainiyat (shia islam) Usoli (follow a scholar because i m not a scholar)
  • Interests:Allah and ebadullahs

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:18 PM

#7 Orion

Orion

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:33 PM

brother, u quote ayat, but in this ayat where is mention the word taqleed or marjah? give me a solid reference bro....

(bismillah)

(salam)

First of all, are you someone who hates scholars and is here to disrespect them and cause fitna?
Or are you someone who is really in search of knowledge and willing to engage in a fruitful discussion?

If you belong to the second group, we can have a discussion, InshaAllah.

You wont find the name of Imam Ali (as) in Quran, yet his wilayat is in Quran.
The word "opium" is not in quran, yet quran makes it haram to use opium.

Words are less important and their meanings are more important.
Quran and hadith of Masoomeen (as) give us "principals" and these principals guides us towards Allah's commands. This is how the system works.

Taqleed means "following" and Marja is a "qualified scholar". So Taqleed is basically following a qualified scholar.

If you agree with what I have said so far please indicate, if not you may ask for clarification.
After that you can ask questions.

WS
  • 570 likes this

#8 alisyed1214

alisyed1214
  • Basic Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:29 PM

bro, first i hv some doubts abt taqleed in my mind that is why im here to discuss with momineen so that i can clear myself...
u define the word taqleed n marja very nicely n hope u'll define me more in the same way,

regards,

#9 Orion

Orion

• Advanced Members
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:17 PM

(bismillah)

(salam)

OK, lets begin.

Whatever ACTS we do (like Waduh, Salat, Fasting, Hajj etc) has some RULES. These rules must be followed in order for these acts to be VALID. For example you have to wash your face and hands in a certain way for your Waduh to be valid and so on. These rules are written in Quran and books of hadith. Qualified scholars (called Mujtahids or Marjas) search through these books to extract rules.

Similarly we are faced with new problems, questions and issues every day. E.g. is human cloning haram or halal, are perfumes with alcohol najis or pak....and so on.

Also these rules are of two types:
1-Those that are "agreed upon" by all scholars.
2-Those in which scholars have "differing opinions".

Most of the time scholars after research come to the same answer. In such agreed upon issues you can follow any scholar as all have the same verdict (fatwa).

But in some matters they differ. Naturally you cant follow all scholars in such matters. You have to follow one Marja and his opinion. This is called TAQLID.

So TAQLID is following the verdict of a qualified scholar (Marja) in matters that scholars differ in.

Are you with me so far?

WS

#10 alisyed1214

alisyed1214
  • Basic Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:08 AM

brother, u said very rightly so far, thnx

#11 Orion

Orion

• Advanced Members