#1 Last Chance

Last Chance

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:43 PM

(salam)

InshAllah you are well.

Unlike most of the sleep-related topics in this forum, my problem is to do with wanting to cut down on sleep. I find that my body is too sensitive to a reduction in the amount of time I spend sleeping. For example, if it is exam period, and I need to stay up later than usual for a few days in a row, I have to suffer the consequences later in the form of a migraine attack. I get about 8-9 hours of sleep every night, which I find, quite often, to be significantly more than others around my age, who seem to cope fine with less sleep.

My question is: how can one accustom their body to fewer hours of sleep without the suffering the horrible short-term effects?

(wasalam)

#2 _jen_

_jen_

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:58 PM

I know exactly how you feel...I get headaches if i sleep for less than 9 hours :blush: .

What i find helps is having a routine in your daily life. Get up the same time every day and go to sleep the same time. Dont allow yourself to sleep in. You will suffer the headaches to begin with but after a few days your body will get used to the reduced amount of sleep.

If you cant have much of a routine coz of student life :dry: ....seriously try a cold shower and couple paracetamol and lucozade... helps me a lot.especially thru exam times.
  • Marbles and Maryaam like this

#3 Last Chance

Last Chance

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:41 PM

A routine is slightly difficult to stick to at the moment, with the varying work loads everyday, but I try. Paracetomals and cold showers- I hope I don't have to resort to them too often. In general, I want my body to permanently adjust and get used to less sleep, not just for exam period or the like. I feel that I could use the time I sleep a lot more productively if there were no side affects.

#4 Basim Ali

Basim Ali

Unity - in all walks of life

• Mods
  • 4,679 posts
  • Interests:Servitude of my Lord and the closest ones to Him

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:31 PM

(salam),
When I have an exam and sleep at 1 in the morning and wake up for Fajr, drinking tea helps me avoid headaches. I generally will have headaches, if I have unusual amount of sleep, either too much or too less. Tea helps in both.
What students, like myself, will usually do, is get up at 6 in the morning during weekdays, but during weekdays, they wake up at 12 pm. Doctors say this is one of the major reasons for inability to maintain, good sleep throughout the week. Try and wake up at the same time during weekends as well.

It might sound absurd, but not keeping an alarm clock close to wake me up, helps wake me up! If the alarm clock is right next to where you're sleeping, you'll just bang the alarm button off and off you go to sleep again! If it is kept far, and the person has to walk up to the clock to switch the alarm off, to keep it from annoying him, he will rather just not go to bed again, now that he has gotten up from his cosy bed, which is the most difficult part...

Also, eating a light dinner will help you avoid very long hours of sleep. Do not drink any form of caffeine before bed, and also do not watch too much TV before bed.

Just my two cents.

(wasalam)
Basim Ali Jafri

#5 leb_cool

leb_cool

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:52 PM

salam to all

damn i just discovered that im not normal on this thread lol

In my normal period (not exam) , i sleep a maximum of 7 hour.

In my exam period i sleep max 5 hour.

i know its not healthy and i will see the physical effect in 20 yr lol

I think we have sleeping trouble in my family bcoz my father is like me.

Maybe you can sleep an hour or two during the day ?

salam

#6 asphyxiated

asphyxiated

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Religion:Muslim - Shi'a of Ali
  • Interests:Islam, Economics, Politics, Physics, Trade, Finance, History, Philosophy, Powerlifting

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:04 PM

One way to absolve this problem is to train yourself to wake up early every morning, irrespective of when you slept the night before. If you feel that this will only make you sleepier earlier on in the evening, then I would recommend that you find a gym to go to when you wake up. Going to the gym in the early morning invigorates your body and gives you a boost of energy that lasts throughout the day. Even if you do get tired, a short nap would help you around midday. Then again, 8-9 hours doesn't seem extreme. You need to give your body enough recovery time or your waking life will be less than effective. Perhaps you can practice time management and get your studying done without having to stay up very late. Still, if you get your body into the proper rhythm, everything will be fine. I wake up every morning around dawn a few minutes before my alarm goes off. This is related to your internal body clock and the light that reaches your eyes every morning around the time you usually wake up. All of this can be accomplished through training.

1) Find yourself a habit and stick to it - this habit should give you 7-8 hours of sleep per night
2) If you want to sleep less, force yourself to wake up early every morning, irrespective of when you slept the night before
3) Diminishing the number of hours you sleep per night will not be a good idea in the long run, unless of course you are sleeping excessively every night (10+ hours)

I think that if you keep some of these in mind, you'll have an easier time. That way you can pop an energy drinking in the late-afternoon or early-evening if you feel that you need to stay up an extra few hours. It should all balance out in the end and you should be back to your normal hours after your intense study sessions. Whatever you do, though, stay away from all-nighters. I can tell you that as an undergrad I never did it save for once, and I pretty much hallucinated the night away. It's very ineffective and quite dangerous as well.
  • Impenetrable_Defence likes this

#7 Mo.

Mo.

Mohammad The Fantastic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:12 PM

Don't cut down on your sleep. It aint good for your health. Even if you have an exam, dont stay up late and study. This isnt how people prepare themselves. Getting a good rest for an exam is better than reading one or two extra pages. So sleep well, even if you have something important the next day. A range of seven to eight hours is good. Anything less and you will jeopardize your own health, so be warned.

Youre getting headaches from lack of sleep because your body is already used to sleeping a good amount of time. Sleeping less overtime will get rid of these headache problems as your body's clock adjusts to it. But like I said, its not worth it, in the long-term.

Be good to yourself.

#8 Guest_Peace_*

Guest_Peace_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:49 PM

salam off topic but lucozade is REALLY BAD for u!! its loaaads of sugar. It was what they used to do glucose tolerance testing to see if a patient has diabetes ie by loading them with sugar. It started off marketing as a health drink. They could not advertise it as that so changed to a sport drink. In reality its awful.

#9 Last Chance

Last Chance

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:07 PM

salam off topic but lucozade is REALLY BAD for u!! its loaaads of sugar. It was what they used to do glucose tolerance testing to see if a patient has diabetes ie by loading them with sugar. It started off marketing as a health drink. They could not advertise it as that so changed to a sport drink. In reality its awful.

Would I be correct to assume that any such energy drink will have some sort of negative affect on one's health?

#10 Simba

Simba

You'll Never Walk Alone!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:42 PM

Ok , no offence but dont listen to people who have actually suggested ways on cutting down sleep.

One important rule: LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! If it needs 8 hours sleep then GIVE it 8 hours sleep. I understand that people especially students often need last few nights to catchup with revising etc but the solution to that is time management rather than cutting down sleep. You have to ensure 8 hours on your schedule is booked for sleep - It would be very wise if 10pm to 2am is a part of those 8 hours as these are the most crucial hours. Want source? :P

#11 Last Chance

Last Chance

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:39 PM

No thank you, Simba. It seems believable enough this time.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users