9 replies to this topic

#1 blazini

blazini

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:14 AM

(salam)

Does anyone know of a good online source for translations of the Holy Quran in English, or even better some audio recitations? I know there are several Sunni translations and recitations online, however I'm looking for specifically Shia.

#2 Rohani

Rohani

A Scholar is like a candle burning out to give others light.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,289 posts
  • Religion:Ahle Tashayyu
  • Interests:Philosophy, Hawzah, Spending time with my wife :)

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:33 AM

(salam)

Does anyone know of a good online source for translations of the Holy Quran in English, or even better some audio recitations? I know there are several Sunni translations and recitations online, however I'm looking for specifically Shia.

(salam)
there is one here

http://www.maaref-fo...ation/index.htm

but i have not read it yet so i do not know how good it is, i heard a lot of shia use the Shakir translation but i do not know, i find that there is flaw in every translation. my advise take up learning arabic ;) because like somoene once told me "putting arabic into english is like placing the ocean into a pond"

(wasalam)

#3 Basim Ali

Basim Ali

Unity - in all walks of life

• Mods
  • 4,688 posts
  • Interests:Servitude of my Lord and the closest ones to Him

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:06 AM

(salam),
What do you mean Shia English translation? :huh: A translation is a translation, lol. There is so Shia/Sunni translation. Ofcourse, the Tafsir may differ, but the translation doesn't. If you meant translations by Shia translators, the below links are links to Shia sites, but the translators are Sunni.
Like unknownpreacher mentioned, most people here use Shakir as he uses modern English which is easier to understand, plus he was also known to be a Shia - I think.
This link provides translations from Yusuf Ali, Shakir and Pickthall, and also Tafsir by Mahdi Pooya. Multilingual Quran
This link provides a translation by Mohammad Sarwar. The Holy Quran

But I find Shakir to be most accurate, somehow. He translates all the Arabic words exactly, and translates all the words in the same order (usually) as in the Arabic order.

(wasalam)
Basim Ali Jafri

#4 abid92

abid92
  • Basic Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:15 PM

(salam),
What do you mean Shia English translation? :huh: A translation is a translation, lol. There is so Shia/Sunni translation.

There is. For example, most Sunni translations for the 80th chapter say:

"Abbasa watawalla" = "(The Prophet) frowned and turned away" (Yusuf Ali translation)

Which according to our beliefs is not right, because the chapter doesn't concern the Prophet.

#5 baradar_jackson

baradar_jackson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts
  • Religion:220 volts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:45 PM

http://www.dat.ir/?state=quran

#6 Basim Ali

Basim Ali

Unity - in all walks of life

• Mods
  • 4,688 posts
  • Interests:Servitude of my Lord and the closest ones to Him

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:53 AM

There is. For example, most Sunni translations for the 80th chapter say:

"Abbasa watawalla" = "(The Prophet) frowned and turned away" (Yusuf Ali translation)

Which according to our beliefs is not right, because the chapter doesn't concern the Prophet.

(salam),
But you're forgetting that 'the Prophet' is added here, and not in the original verse. Such additions differ, but again, the translation doesn't. 'frowned and turned away' is common to all translations, it is only what is b/w the brackets that is different, which is not part of the Quran, rather part of Tafsir, as it is the translator's view that is expressed on what or who the verse might be referring to.

(wasalam)
Basim Ali Jafri

Edited by Basim Ali, 19 October 2009 - 01:54 AM.

#7 blazini

blazini

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:05 AM

Thank you for the responses.

As far as the translations go, when I said Shia instead of Sunni, I meant it as when you compare the translations from a Sunni translator and a Shia translator - the words aren't exactly the same. When the words aren't the same, than the message could skew from it's origin.

#8 Suleman786

Suleman786

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:38 PM

People Shakir is good Shia translation. This can be seen clearly in Surah 5.55
Shakir specifically points to Imam Ali by saying

Only Allah is your Vali and His Messenger and those who believe, those who keep up prayers and pay the poor-rate while they bow.

The others (majority and all Sunni sources)) translate this as those who pay the poor rate AND bow. Meaning all instead of an individual.

The way I read the Quran is Quran.com. I click on all the
Translations and read all translations including Shakir and Yusuf Ali.

Quran of course is better in Arabic but most don't realize some things.

1. All languages change.
Even if the word stays te same the meaning, or the translation of the word over time changes.
This can clearly be seen when you ask what material Adam was made from. Ask this to anyone who can read the Quran in Arabic and ask them the meaning. 
Some say dirt, others mud, others clay, , others dust, others soil. The word itself hasn't changed but the meaning of the word has been Translated differently.
If you read the Quran my way you understand that the gathering/ category of all the words is Earth. Adam was created from Earth. This way you get a broader feel of each ayat

To prove my point the English language has 250,000 active words and 750,000 dead ones

2. Arabic was around before the prophet and the meaning of words even changed when the prophet was there.

Prime example is the word Allah. This word existed before and many idol worshippers also believed in many Allah.
The prophet made them believe in one Allah. The word after spreading through the middle east- of course withthe right message attached ( the Quran and the oneness of Allah) did people change their perception of the word

So when people say go get the Arabic meaning it's just another translation. Of could it's better but who really knows what translation they are using

A good advice is to also study each individual word and it's meanings. There are only approximate 18000 words in the Quran and to be honest it's much easier than it sounds. 

If you have an iPhone download "Quran Study". It breaks down each individual word and gives you the many translations of each word and where they appear In other Surahs. It also gives you a break down of each individual letter and adjectives of each word.

The best translation however is

YOURSELF

Quran in chronological order starts with Surah 96

Read

This is the key. You read it, not someone else and translate it for yourself. Understand it. 

Here is one example however where the Arabic version has words in it that everyone changes when translating it to another language.

The word is Hadith.

We also all know that the Quran is the most complete book in existence.

"Have they not looked at the dominion of the heavens and the earth, and all the things God has created? Does it ever occur to them that the end of their life may be near? Which HADITH, besides this (Quran) do they believe in?" 7:185

"Among the people, there are those who uphold baseless HADITH, and thus divert others from the path of God without knowledge, and take it in vain. These have incurred a shameful retribution." 31:6

"God has revealed herein the BEST HADITH; a book that is consistent and points out both ways (to heaven and hell). The skins of those who reverence their Lord cringe therefrom, then their skins and their hearts soften up for God's message. Such is God's guidance; he bestows it upon whomever He wills. As for those sent astray by God, nothing can guide them." 39:23

"These are God's revelations (Quran) that we recite to you truthfully. In which HADITH other than God and His revelations do they believe?" 45:6

"Let them produce a HADITH like this (Quran) if they are truthful." 52:34

"Therefore, let Me deal with those who reject this HADITH(Quran); we will lead them on whence they never perceive." 68:44

"Which HADITH other than this do they uphold?" 77:50

Why did God permitted these so called Hadiths ? The answer is in next verse.

"We have permitted the enemies of every prophet - human and jinn devils - to inspire in each other FANCY WORDS , in order to deceive. Had your Lord willed, they would not have done it. You shall disregard them and their FABRICATIONS. This is to let the minds of those who do not believe in the Hereafter listen to such FABRICATIONS, and accept them, and thus expose their real convictions. [6:112-113]

Check it out for yourselves. Search the word hadith

Thr Quran also tells us not to look at any other stories BESIDES the Quran. No hadiths are required. That's what seculates us. The stories are important but they are important not due to the characters in it but how you can adapt it to your lives. I would imagine this is why the Quran only mentions the prophets and Mary by name. 

No one else. Eve is not in there. Imam Ali is not in there, Abu bakr is not.

The only controversial one is Dhul Qarnayn. He was however blessed and did deliver good words from Allah so he could be considered a prophet

I'll tell you all something else. Isn't a coincidence that the year The Mahdi was born so was Bukharis book. The exact same year

The dajjal could possibly be hadiths. A mans version of what Allah said not to do. All the Imams came and never was it allowed for a Hadith to be written. They disappear from guiding us (of course in a physical form and not the loss of knowledge) and we adapt ourselves to baseless hadiths. Even if true Hadiths exist we are reading material that Allah PURPOSELY in the most complete book disregarded their names

If we accept hadiths we must also accept the bible. This is the hadiths of Jesus written by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. The Gospel of Jesus has never been released but the hadiths definitely do. Same with Torah and the Talmud. The Talmud is the hadiths of Moses.

Some say how can you believe in Mahdi without Hadiths?

Quran talks of the Ahlul Bayt alot. Even in El-Fatiah which is said before every pray we say

Guide us in the Straight Path: The Path of those whom Thou hast blessed... (1:6-7)

Other examples include 

It is Allah's wish to remove all blemish from you, O Ahlul-Bayt, and purify you with a perfect purification. (33:33)

Say, I ask no reward from you for it except the love of my kinsfolk. And whosoever does a good deed we add unto it a greater good for him. Lo, Allah is Forgiving, Responsive. (42:23)

And whoever disputes with thee concerning him after the inspired knowledge which has been given unto thee, tell him, "Come, let us call our sons and your sons; our women and your women; and ourselves and yourselves; then let us pray and invoke Allah's curse upon those who lie." (3:61)

Hold fast to the Rope of Allah, all of you together and do not diverge. (3:103)

Be careful of your duty to Allah and be with the Truthful. (9:119)

Lo, this is My Straight Path, so follow it and do not follow other ways or else you will diverge from His way. (6:153)

O you believe, obey Allah and obey His Messenger and those amongst you who are give supreme authority (by Allah). (4:59)

Whoever opposes the Prophet after the guidance has been made manifest unto him and follows any path other than the path of the true believers, We will turn him towards that unto which he himself has turned, and We will expose him to Hell and a bad journey it will be. (4:115)

(O Prophet) Lo! thou art a warner and for every community there is a guide. (13:7)

They are those whom Allah has blessed among the prophets and the verifiers, the martyrs and the righteous. (4:69)

They (i.e., prophets and Imams) do not say anything until He orders, and they act (in all things) by His command. He knows what is before them and what is behind them and they (i.e., those saints) offer no intercession except for anyone whom Allah accepts, and they are in awe and reverence of His (glory). (21:27-28)

Verily your master is only Allah, and His messenger and those among the believers who establish worship and pay the poor due while they are bowing down in prayer. (5:55)

And lo! Verily I am the Most forgiving towards him who repents and believes and does good and then follows the guidance. (20:82)

O you who believe, enter into peace, all of you, and do not follow the footsteps of the Satan. (2:208)

Then, on that day, you will be asked concerning the blessing. (102:8)

O you Messenger, convey what has been revealed unto you by your Lord, for if you do not do so, you will not have conveyed His message at all. And Allah will protect you from the people. Lo! Allah guides not the disbelieving folk (5:67)

This day have We perfected for you your religion and finalized Our blessing upon you, and We are pleased that Islam be your religion. (5:3)

A questioner asked for the inevitable punishment to befall the disbelievers which no one can avert. (70:1-2)

And when your Lord brought forth from the lions of the Children of Adam their seed, and made them bear testimony about their souls (He asked):"Am I not your Lord?" They said: "Yes, we bear witness." (7:172)

Or are they jealous of those men because of that which Allah has bestowed upon them in His bounty? (4:54)

None touches (the depth of meaning of Quran) save the purified ones. (56:79)

No one knows its interpretation except Allah and those who are firmly ground in knowledge. (3:7)

Ask the people of Reminder if you do not know. (21:7, 16:43)

Also Allah knows But

The importance of 12 in Judaism and Christianity can be found in the Bible. The biblical Jacob had 12 sons, who were the progenitors of the Twelve Tribes of Israel, while the New Testament describes twelve apostles of Jesus; when Judas Iscariot was disgraced, a meeting was held (Acts) to add Matthias to complete the number twelve once more. 

In Shi'a Islam, there are twelve Imams, legitimate successors of the prophet Muhammad. These twelve early leaders of Islam are—Ali, Hasan, Husayn, and nine of Husayn's descendants.

I don't believe in the bible but there is some text in there that can be the ahlul bayt

Not saying it is but

This may be a reference to Imam Mahdi :

Revelation 19

The Rider on the White Horse 

11I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and makes war. 12His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. 13He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. 14The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. 15Out of his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. "He will rule them with an iron scepter." [a] He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. 16On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written:
KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS. 
17And I saw an angel standing in the sun, who cried in a loud voice to all the birds flying in midair, "Come, gather together for the great supper of God, 18so that you may eat the flesh of kings, generals, and mighty men, of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all people, free and slave, small and great." 

19Then I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies gathered together to make war against the rider on the horse and his army. 20But the beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who had performed the miraculous signs on his behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped his image. The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur. 21The rest of them were killed with the sword that came out of the mouth of the rider on the horse, and all the birds gorged themselves on their flesh.

This may be a reference to Lady Fatima 

Revelation 12

The Woman and the Dragon 
1A great and wondrous sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head. 2She was pregnant and cried out in pain as she was about to give birth. 3Then another sign appeared in heaven: an enormous red dragon with seven heads and ten horns and seven crowns on his heads. 4His tail swept a third of the stars out of the sky and flung them to the earth. The dragon stood in front of the woman who was about to give birth, so that he might devour her child the moment it was born. 5She gave birth to a son, a male child, who will rule all the nations with an iron scepter. And her child was snatched up to God and to his throne. 6The woman fled into the desert to a place prepared for her by God, where she might be taken care of for 1,260 days. 
7And there was war in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back. 8But he was not strong enough, and they lost their place in heaven. 9The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him. 

10Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: 
"Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God, 
and the authority of his Christ. 
For the accuser of our brothers, 
who accuses them before our God day and night, 
has been hurled down. 
11They overcame him 
by the blood of the Lamb 
and by the word of their testimony; 
they did not love their lives so much 
as to shrink from death. 
12Therefore rejoice, you heavens 
and you who dwell in them! 
But woe to the earth and the sea, 
because the devil has gone down to you! 
He is filled with fury, 
because he knows that his time is short." 

13When the dragon saw that he had been hurled to the earth, he pursued the woman who had given birth to the male child. 14The woman was given the two wings of a great eagle, so that she might fly to the place prepared for her in the desert, where she would be taken care of for a time, times and half a time, out of the serpent's reach. 15Then from his mouth the serpent spewed water like a river, to overtake the woman and sweep her away with the torrent. 16But the earth helped the woman by opening its mouth and swallowing the river that the dragon had spewed out of his mouth. 17Then the dragon was enraged at the woman and went off to make war against the rest of her offspring—those who obey God's commandments and hold to the testimony of Jesus

Who is this coming from Edom, 
from Bozrah, with his garments stained crimson ? 

Who is this, robed in splendor, 
striding forward in the greatness of his strength? 

"It is I, speaking in righteousness, 
mighty to save." 

Why are your garments red, 
like those of one treading the winepress ? 

"I have trodden the winepress alone; 
from the nations no one was with me. 

I trampled them in my anger 
and trod them down in my wrath; 
their blood spattered my garments, 
and I stained all my clothing. 

For the day of vengeance was in my heart, 
and the year of my redemption has come. 

I looked, but there was no one to help, 
I was appalled that no one gave support; 
so my own arm worked salvation for me, 
and my own wrath sustained me. 

I trampled the nations in my anger; 
in my wrath I made them drunk 
and poured their blood on the ground." 

Isaiah 63

note the reference to the Iron scepter in both the accounts of Revelation. 

This can only mean that the child of the Lady is the Rider of the White Horse!!!

Also, notice the reference to the "winepress" in both the new and the old testaments.

Imam Mahdi  in Psalms

And certainly We wrote in the Zaboor after the reminder that (as for) the land, My righteous servants shall inherit it.

Psalm 37 (or Zabur, one of our rightly guided book again that's been changed) mention

37:1 Don’t fret because of evildoers, 
neither be envious against those who work unrighteousness. 
37:2 For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, 
and wither like the green herb. 
37:3 Trust in God, and do good. 
Dwell in the land, and enjoy safe pasture. 
37:4 Also delight yourself in God, 
and he will give you the desires of your heart. 
37:5 Commit your way to God. 
Trust also in him, and he will do this: 
37:6 he will make your righteousness go forth as the light, 
and your justice as the noon day sun. 
37:7 Rest in God, and wait patiently for him. 
Don’t fret because of him who prospers in his way, 
because of the man who makes wicked plots happen. 
37:8 Cease from anger, and forsake wrath. 
Don’t fret, it leads only to evildoing. 
37:9 For evildoers shall be cut off, 
but those who wait for God shall inherit the land. 
37:10 For yet a little while, and the wicked will be no more. 
Yes, though you look for his place, he isn’t there. 
37:11 But the humble shall inherit the land, 
and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace. 
37:12 The wicked plots against the just, 
and gnashes at him with his teeth. 
37:13 The Lord will laugh at him, 
for he sees that his day is coming. 
37:14 The wicked have drawn out the sword, and have bent their bow, 
to cast down the poor and needy, 
to kill those who are upright in the way. 
37:15 Their sword shall enter into their own heart. 
Their bows shall be broken. 
37:16 Better is a little that the righteous has, 
than the abundance of many wicked. 
37:17 For the arms of the wicked shall be broken, 
but God upholds the righteous. 
37:18 God knows the days of the perfect. 
Their inheritance shall be forever. 
37:19 They shall not be disappointed in the time of evil. 
In the days of famine they shall be satisfied. 
37:20 But the wicked shall perish. 
The enemies of God shall be like the beauty of the fields. 
They will vanish— 
vanish like smoke. 
37:21 The wicked borrow, and don’t pay back, 
but the righteous give generously. 
37:22 For such as are blessed by him shall inherit the land. 
Those who are cursed by him shall be cut off. 
37:23 A man’s goings are established by God. 
He delights in his way. 
37:24 Though he stumble, he shall not fall, 
for God holds him up with his hand. 
37:25 I have been young, and now am old, 
yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken, 
nor his children begging for bread. 
37:26 All day long he deals graciously, and lends. 
His seed is blessed. 
37:27 Depart from evil, and do good. 
Live securely forever. 
37:28 For God loves justice, 
and doesn’t forsake his saints. 
They are preserved forever, 
but the children of the wicked shall be cut off. 
37:29 The righteous shall inherit the land, 
and live in it forever. 
37:30 The mouth of the righteous talks of wisdom. 
His tongue speaks justice. 
37:31 The law of his God is in his heart. 
None of his steps shall slide. 
37:32 The wicked watches the righteous, 
and seeks to kill him. 
37:33 God will not leave him in his hand, 
nor condemn him when he is judged. 
37:34 Wait for God, and keep his way, 
and he will exalt you to inherit the land. 
When the wicked are cut off, you shall see it. 
37:35 I have seen the wicked in great power, 
spreading himself like a green tree in its native soil. 
37:36 But he passed away, and behold, he was not. 
Yes, I sought him, but he could not be found. 
37:37 Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, 
for there is a future for the man of peace. 
37:38 As for transgressors, they shall be destroyed together. 
The future of the wicked shall be cut off. 
37:39 But the salvation of the righteous is from God. 
He is their stronghold in the time of trouble. 
37:40 God helps them, and rescues them. 

We all at no time were we left without a guide. This could possibly mean (of course again Allah knows) The Mahdi was on earth but like the Asabl Kaf the cave story, he could sleeping in a safe place. We also know every prophet/imam had an enemy for the Mahdi this could be the Hadith book that Allah tells us to stay away from

#9 Gypsy

Gypsy

Hal Min Nasirin Yansurna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,509 posts
  • Interests:Exposing hypocrisy and double standards.

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:41 PM

http://researchintoo.../label/Al-Quran

#10 Haydar Husayn

Haydar Husayn

• Mods
  • 8,339 posts
  • Religion:Islam

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:56 PM

(salam),
But you're forgetting that 'the Prophet' is added here, and not in the original verse. Such additions differ, but again, the translation doesn't. 'frowned and turned away' is common to all translations, it is only what is b/w the brackets that is different, which is not part of the Quran, rather part of Tafsir, as it is the translator's view that is expressed on what or who the verse might be referring to.

True, but what they put in brackets can be misleading to the unaware, and in some translations they no longer keep the brackets. For example:

Qur'an 5:6
O you who have believed, when you rise to [perform] prayer, wash your faces and your forearms to the elbows and wipe over your heads and wash your feet to the ankles. ... [Sahih International]

compare to

O ye who believe! when ye prepare for prayer, wash your faces, and your hands (and arms) to the elbows; Rub your heads (with water); and (wash) your feet to the ankles. ... [Yusuf Ali]

and finally,

O you who believe! when you rise up to prayer, wash your faces and your hands as far as the elbows, and wipe your heads and your feet to the ankles; ... [Shakir]

Edited by Haider Husayn, 02 May 2011 - 01:56 PM.

• Murtada likes this

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users