lotfilms

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • Religion:Islam

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:28 PM

(bismillah)
(salam)
I got a turban (I mostly use it for prayer, etc. since it's sunnah and recommended). How would I go about tying it the Shia way?

As we can see, there is a very specialized and unique style of tying the turban that the Shia use:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Can anyone show me a step-by-step guide or a video on how to tie it in this beautiful fashion?

wa salam

Edited by lotfilms, 14 August 2009 - 07:29 PM.

#2 Jafarr

Jafarr

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:28 PM

I believe these are pre-wrapped turbans.

I tie a turban all the time and I don't believe it is possible to tie it like this through conventional means. It has to be done (and probably sewed together) by a skilled fashioner, and it certainly is not done on someone's head.

#3 Darth Vader

Darth Vader

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts
  • Interests:Tutbir and Nihari

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:06 PM

The turban is a piece of cloth which is invaluable where being in the sun without it is not only intolerable but also injurious to health so its a necessity for people living in such areas. It may also serve other purposes. The tying of a turban on the head in a particular manner is not the sole form of this sunnah, the piece of cloth is also simply kept over the head during winter or tied around the head so its ends cover the neck and the shoulders, depending on the circumstances. When heading out in the sand one of its loose ends are spread across the face or to protect the eyes during sandstorms. When wearing the turban, the loose end is wrapped around the neck, cuddling the throat, and not left hanging carelessly because that is impractical especially when you have to mount, dismount, or it can get stuck somewhere. IIRC I've read in a hadith book that the sunnah method of tying a turban is to keep both its ends visible and not one (unlike the wanabe followers of sunnah). One is very short and stays up there hanging from the turban and the other is long. Wrapping it over a cap is not sunnah either. During war it was wrapped over a armored helmet because direct sunlight makes the metal unbearably hot.

By the way, the pictures merely show the modern day "uniform" worn by scholars (black turban for syed scholar, white for non syed, and that black overall/gown) so people may recognize them.

#4 lotfilms

lotfilms

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:47 AM

(bismillah)
(salam)

I believe these are pre-wrapped turbans.

I tie a turban all the time and I don't believe it is possible to tie it like this through conventional means. It has to be done (and probably sewed together) by a skilled fashioner, and it certainly is not done on someone's head.

They're not; many times we see them untying a part of it and making a tail out of it:
4-7.jpg

And since it is not sewed together, we realize that it requires a very special technique to be able to tie it

#5 lotfilms

lotfilms

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:55 AM

By the way, the pictures merely show the modern day "uniform" worn by scholars (black turban for syed scholar, white for non syed, and that black overall/gown) so people may recognize them.

It's not a modern-day uniform. Go look at old drawings of Sunni and Shia scholars and you'll find them to be wearing the same thing that modern Shia scholars wear (except that their clothing tended to be more intricate back then (ie with designs etc) and the Shia ones tend to wear more black).

Heck, even look at old drawings/depictions of the Prophet (pbuh) done by the Ottomans and you'll find that the turban was tied in a similar fashion (reflection the then style of turban tying that the Shia still use)

The only diff. is that the Sunni scholars have (for the most part) abandoned the turban

#6 rajput iqbal

rajput iqbal

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:21 PM

lol i fougth the sunni and shia turban were the same

#7 Basim Ali

Basim Ali

Unity - in all walks of life

• Mods
  • 4,679 posts
  • Interests:Servitude of my Lord and the closest ones to Him

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:53 PM

(salam),
Well these are some videos I could find, see if they help.

They're all the Sunni ways however. I hope you find what you're looking for.
(PS I think the last one's in Urdu. I'm in a hurry, I didn't check)

(wasalam)
Basim Ali Jafri

#8 Jafarr

Jafarr

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:55 PM

(bismillah)
(salam)

They're not; many times we see them untying a part of it and making a tail out of it:
4-7.jpg

And since it is not sewed together, we realize that it requires a very special technique to be able to tie it

The turban in your picture is a lot more different than in the pictures lotfilms gave. His turbans are waaaay more fancy, this one in your picture is a messy "Sunni" type of style you'll even see the Taliban wearing. The only difference is that the Taliban wear a shiny type of black material 99% of the time.

I wrap my turban all the time like the one in your picture.

I still have to maintain that it is impossible to tie a turban like in the original pics through conventional means. There's just no way it could be done. It even looks as if perhaps that material is wrapped around some kind of inner hat/tube. To have wrapped it around the head like a normal turban is wrapped, and for the bottom to bend inwards to your skull like that defies the laws oh physics.

I could be wrong, but that's doubtful unless somebody else can tell us how it's done.

Edited by Jafarr, 15 August 2009 - 07:58 PM.

#9 Orion

Orion

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:12 PM

4-7.jpg

Scholars untie a part during salat (prayers),

#10 lotfilms

lotfilms

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:03 PM

(bismillah)
(salam

I could be wrong, but that's doubtful unless somebody else can tell us how it's done.

I used to see my sheikh untie a bit of his turban to make a tail for prayers (but my sheikh isn't around anymore so I can't ask him)

#11 Frosty

Frosty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Religion:Islam Shi'a Usooli

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:26 PM

My turban is pre-wrapped and I find it extremely convienant however I would also be interested in learning to my turban in the 'Shi'a' way. Also can anyone give me any sources that would elaborate on the turban in relation to sunnah? Also, nice pic of Imam Khomeini lotfilms!

Edited by Frosty, 15 August 2009 - 11:28 PM.

#12 Qum2Najaf

Qum2Najaf
  • Basic Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:57 PM

Salaam

I have seen my Uncles tie their Imamah, and believe me they are not pre made! The cloth is usually 8 Yards long and is streched out with one person at each end holding the corners, then they begin to turn the cloth( the only way I can describe it ) so it becomes firm and compact. My oldest Uncle ties it on his knee after the cloth is rolled up into a firm package. He places a part under his left Knee and then begings to wind it around his knee, put here's the cute bit he makes a fold with each turn. This gives the spiral pattern. My other Uncles tie it on their head, which I understand is the Sunnah way! Again they are made from scratch, some are better than others at it,, I know that a few scholars bring theirs to my youngest Uncles and he makes about 6 or 8 at any given time. It is something to see.

Toi make a good Imamah takes about 20 or 30 minutes, there is the Qummi style and the Najafi styles, one of the best Imamahs I have seen apart from my eldest Uncles is Sayyid Milani, his is the Najafi style. The best Qummi style I have seen is actually by a Pakistani scholar sayyid Ali Raza Rizvi. I have not found any vidoes on the Shi'a way of making the Imamah, maybe I will ask one of my Uncles to do one and post it on Youtube,lol......

#13 Qum2Najaf

Qum2Najaf
  • Basic Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:02 PM

Salaam

I have seen my Uncles tie their Imamah, and believe me they are not pre made! The cloth is usually 8 Yards long and is streched out with one person at each end holding the corners, then they begin to turn the cloth( the only way I can describe it ) so it becomes firm and compact. My oldest Uncle ties it on his knee after the cloth is rolled up into a firm package. He places a part under his left Knee and then begings to wind it around his knee, put here's the cute bit he makes a fold with each turn. This gives the spiral pattern. My other Uncles tie it on their head, which I understand is the Sunnah way! Again they are made from scratch, some are better than others at it,, I know that a few scholars bring theirs to my youngest Uncles and he makes about 6 or 8 at any given time. It is something to see.

Toi make a good Imamah takes about 20 or 30 minutes, there is the Qummi style and the Najafi styles, one of the best Imamahs I have seen apart from my eldest Uncles is Sayyid Milani, his is the Najafi style. The best Qummi style I have seen is actually by a Pakistani scholar sayyid Ali Raza Rizvi. I have not found any vidoes on the Shi'a way of making the Imamah, maybe I will ask one of my Uncles to do one and post it on Youtube,lol......

#14 Bahadur Ali

Bahadur Ali

Bahadur Ali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • Interests:Mystical Shi'ism, classical Persian and Hindustani music, meeting of Islam and India, calligraphy, literature

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:41 AM

The turban worn by our clerics is actually tied around the bended knee of one leg. The picture shown in the first post is done that way. The spiral effect is produced by alternating the spaces when the layer of the turban goes up. With your left hand hold on to the material (normally mousline) and guide the material around the knee with your right hand so that it goes from down up starting from the back of the knee and then down again. When it goes down leave a space of 2 or 3 cm from the place you first started. The end layers should be horizontal and the end tucked under the last horizontal layer. That's how I have seen it done but I know there are other techniques. Make sure you stretch the turban and flod it lengthwise before starting. If it is too stiff sprinkle some water. I hope this helps. Training makes perfect don't expect to get a perfect result straight away. Turban tying is an art in and of itself.

#15 Redrum

Redrum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:29 PM

maybe I will ask one of my Uncles to do one and post it on Youtube,lol......

PLEASE do, that would be awesome lol. Or maybe some other hawza student here could do that.

#16 Qum2Najaf

Qum2Najaf
  • Basic Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:44 PM

PLEASE do, that would be awesome lol. Or maybe some other hawza student here could do that.

Salaam

Just to let you know, that making a tail and placing it under the chin is a sunnah, it is called Tahta ul hanuk. my uncles said he will do it, I also asked anoter Shaykh who ties it really good to record someting also, but as it is Muharram and many are away reciting Majlish it will have to be done after that.

Salaam

#17 Qum2Najaf

Qum2Najaf
  • Basic Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:52 PM

The turban worn by our clerics is actually tied around the bended knee of one leg. The picture shown in the first post is done that way. The spiral effect is produced by alternating the spaces when the layer of the turban goes up. With your left hand hold on to the material (normally mousline) and guide the material around the knee with your right hand so that it goes from down up starting from the back of the knee and then down again. When it goes down leave a space of 2 or 3 cm from the place you first started. The end layers should be horizontal and the end tucked under the last horizontal layer. That's how I have seen it done but I know there are other techniques. Make sure you stretch the turban and flod it lengthwise before starting. If it is too stiff sprinkle some water. I hope this helps. Training makes perfect don't expect to get a perfect result straight away. Turban tying is an art in and of itself.

Salaam

Mousline is too heavy for some, the material my uncles and many of the Ulema I know prefer is called Voil( usually brought here from India). Some of the better material shops sell it, I have known some to sell it at 5 pounds a yard, keep in mind that a good length is 7 to 8 yards. So around 35 to 40 pounds can be spent. My eldest uncle still has his graduation Imamah, it is still wrapped from when it was placed on his head, he keeps it in a box, lol...... There are also some grades of cotton which some of the Ulema choose to use, usually they pick it up for anything ranging from 1 pound to 2 pounds fifty a yard.

You are right it is an art, and there are some really bad Imamh makers out there, I know in Qum some brothers do teach others however some will not bother to learn the art and rely on others to make them, also the Lebanese have taken the art to a good level some of their scholars are excellent at the craft, I personally think their style although it is taken from the Najafi style is more pleasing to the eye.

May Allah bless all those who wear it with good adab and benefical knoweldge, as you can wear an Imamah and have neither.

Edited by Qum2Najaf, 23 December 2009 - 05:59 PM.

#18 Qum2Najaf

Qum2Najaf
  • Basic Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:01 PM

Salaam

Mousline is too heavy for some, the material my uncles and many of the Ulema I know prefer is called Voil( usually brought here from India). Some of the better material shops sell it, I have known some to sell it at 5 pounds a yard, keep in mind that a good length is 7 to 8 yards. So around 35 to 40 pounds can be spent. My eldest uncle still has his graduation Imamah, it is still wrapped from when it was placed on his head, he keeps it in a box, lol...... There are also some grades of cotton which some of the Ulema choose to use, usually they pick it up for anything ranging from 1 pound to 2 pounds fifty a yard.

You are right it is an art, and there are some really bad Imamah makers out there, I know in Qum some brothers do teach others how to make them, however some will not bother to learn the art and rely on others to make them, also the Lebanese have taken the art to a good level some of their scholars are excellent at the craft, I personally think their style although it is taken from the Najafi style is more pleasing to the eye.

May Allah bless all those who wear the Imamah with good behaviour and benefical knoweldge, as you can wear an Imamah and have neither.

#19 Rohani

Rohani

A Scholar is like a candle burning out to give others light.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,289 posts
  • Religion:Ahle Tashayyu
  • Interests:Philosophy, Hawzah, Spending time with my wife :)

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:20 PM

(salam)
could some one perhaps make a video and youtube it or knows of one and can post a link on how to tie turban, insha Allah i will be getting one soon in the coming month and want to make sure i know how?

(wasalam)

#20 89jghur32

89jghur32

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • Religion:ÇáÅÓáÇã
  • Interests:Implementing the Amman Message

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:52 PM

I believe Sunni scholars in the Sufi tradition and in Syria and Lebanon still tie their turbans this way.

#21 yonus

yonus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:01 AM

Off topic ,see Sudani and Saudi wearing Imamah and Shmaagh .Posted Image

#22 Redrum

Redrum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:35 AM

Is there anywhere one could buy a "shia-style" Bisht/Aba - there are many places that sell the Saudi-style one but I dont like the look of those golden threads on it:

http://www.desertdress.com/Bisht.html

www.bisht.com

#23 Rohani

Rohani

A Scholar is like a candle burning out to give others light.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,289 posts
  • Religion:Ahle Tashayyu
  • Interests:Philosophy, Hawzah, Spending time with my wife :)

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:02 AM

(salam)
Brother's i will be ordering a turban shortly, is there a web page or anywhere or someone who can explain how to tie this the shia way? i seen three ways but i do not want to tie it the way of people other then the shia. any help i would appreciate jazaka Allah

(wasalam)

#24 jafar313

jafar313
  • Basic Members
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in learning and teaching about the Ahli-Bayt (AS).

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:17 AM

Salaam

I have found a site that shows a student wrappin g his turban but it's not complete. Press TV-Iran-Seminary Studentsin Qum-01-10-2010. Where can you the material and what of kind of material is used. http://www.youtube.c...?v=JwTi2yKq1WY. This the link that show the student wrapping his turban. I tried but mind does not come out like it should.

#25 Qum2Najaf

Qum2Najaf
  • Basic Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:21 AM

http://

Salaam. I have pictures and a video of how to make a Turban, I asked Shaykh Zakaria an African scholar based in London to do it for me, his is Amamah making is very good. But I don't know how to upload them, can someone help?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users