vze4fd2s

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • Religion:Shia

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:51 PM

(bismillah)
(salam)

Does anyone know of any Shia Mosques in or relatively near the Boston area? I'm going to be attending college in Boston and I'd like to join one. ^_^

I found this link from zabihah.com :

http://www.salatomat...n...mosques&r=5

but it only lists an Ismaili mosque, and I am of the Jafari denomination.

Thank you in advance :P

#2 Cypress

Cypress

Taqwacore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Interests:music, punk rock, taqwacore, saz, zombies, Ismaili, Druze, Alevi, Kizilbash, feminism, LGBT, aql, cem, films, spaghetti westerns, trans rights

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

There aren't any in Boston, and the Ismaili space is a jamatkhane, not a mosque - a peculiarly Nizari Ismaili Sufi-style round prayer hall.

Sorry to tell you that. Yeah, Boston is a freaking wasteland, and even the Sunnis are sort of short-handed here: the masaajid (there are two) are really Salafist, owned and operated by a group of crazy fundy Saudis and Egyptians who don't even live in the US.

#3 vze4fd2s

vze4fd2s

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:37 PM

(bismillah)
(salam)

Haha okay, are there any other Shia mosques in the Northeast? The closest one I could find was in West Hartford, CT, which is approx. 2 hours away :squeez:

Edited by vze4fd2s, 29 April 2009 - 07:38 PM.

#4 ash-shaheed

ash-shaheed

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:30 PM

(bismillah)
(salam)

Haha okay, are there any other Shia mosques in the Northeast? The closest one I could find was in West Hartford, CT, which is approx. 2 hours away :squeez:

(salam)

Check this out: http://www.imfne.org/

Looks like the center is located in Hopkington, which is around 30 mins outside of Boston. From what I've heard, this center is not always open, so it may be best to try to locate some other Shias in the area and inquire about the center before showing up at the masjid one day.

I also went to college in an area with no Shia (or Sunni masajid), but alhamdullilah we were able to form a small Shia group within the university and get together regularly in Muharram and Ramadan. Being in Boston, with so many universities around, insha'Allah I'm confident you'll be able to find Shia students at your school and other schools and do similarly.

#5 Cypress

Cypress

Taqwacore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Interests:music, punk rock, taqwacore, saz, zombies, Ismaili, Druze, Alevi, Kizilbash, feminism, LGBT, aql, cem, films, spaghetti westerns, trans rights

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:32 AM

It's more like 45 minutes, and that's assuming no traffic, which given the route you have to take to get to there is laughable. It could take a very long time to drive there, and there is no public transit to that area.

Still, I should have underlined the presence of school prayer areas. I know Harvard has a large, integrated jumu3ah on Fridays, for example, and the other universities certainly do as well.

It is well-attended at Harvard, that's for sure, and Harvard also has a musallah for non-jumu3ah times.

#6 ash-shaheed

ash-shaheed

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:16 AM

It's more like 45 minutes, and that's assuming no traffic, which given the route you have to take to get to there is laughable. It could take a very long time to drive there, and there is no public transit to that area.

Still, I should have underlined the presence of school prayer areas. I know Harvard has a large, integrated jumu3ah on Fridays, for example, and the other universities certainly do as well.

It is well-attended at Harvard, that's for sure, and Harvard also has a musallah for non-jumu3ah times.

Bro Cypress, is Maulana Rizwan Rizvi a new addition to the community there? I hadn't seen him on their website a couple months back, and for some reason I remember him being based out of NJ. If indeed he is the new resident aalim of the center there then masha'Allah that's wonderful news for the community. Insha'Allah I hope he's able to bring some life and energy back into the greater Boston Shia community.

#7 Cypress

Cypress

Taqwacore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:36 AM

Bro Cypress, is Maulana Rizwan Rizvi a new addition to the community there? I hadn't seen him on their website a couple months back, and for some reason I remember him being based out of NJ. If indeed he is the new resident aalim of the center there then masha'Allah that's wonderful news for the community. Insha'Allah I hope he's able to bring some life and energy back into the greater Boston Shia community.

Well, it's sister, not brother, and I don't know - I go to Harvard jumu3ah because it's about a five minute walk and I have no car. Also because I'm an Ismaili.

#8 ash-shaheed

ash-shaheed

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:15 AM

Well, it's sister, not brother, and I don't know - I go to Harvard jumu3ah because it's about a five minute walk and I have no car. Also because I'm an Ismaili.

Sorry about that, sister.

Insha'Allah check out Maulana Rizwan if you get a chance to go out to the center, people have had some very good things to say about him. His credentials as listed on the masjid's page are also quite impressive.

#9 loveahlulbayt4ever

loveahlulbayt4ever

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:23 PM

I am currently studying in Boston myself and the closest shia masjid is the one in Hopkinton its actually really nice not bad.... Getting there can be an issue at times since there is no public transport but, the ppl there know it can be difficult for students to get there they try to carpool or pick u up.... I have a cousin that lives here so i just get a ride with her or a friend whom i commute with at times :) which uni are you planning on going to?

Edited by loveahlulbayt4ever, 30 April 2009 - 05:24 PM.

#10 vze4fd2s

vze4fd2s

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:42 PM

(bismillah)
(salam)

Sorry for the late response. I'm going to be studying at Boston University. BU, Harvard, and MIT all have prayer rooms/Islamic societies :) so I'm going to see what's going on at each (they're relatively close to each other). Hopkinton looks like best one then, thanks :P

#11 loveahlulbayt4ever

loveahlulbayt4ever

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:17 PM

Cool! you will like it there its really nice! I went to an event by the MIT muslim association they had Ammar Naskhawani a few months ago it was really nice. If you need further help feel free to ask me.

#12 Cypress

Cypress

Taqwacore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:38 PM

Harvard has a lot of Shi'i Muslims, at least judging by their prayers - hands at the side. Either that, or the roughly 15% of Malikis in the world all go to Harvard. :-) Seriously, I think maybe 50% of the people at jumu3ah prayers are Shi'i, although I've never asked anyone.

#13 ash-shaheed

ash-shaheed

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:01 PM

Harvard has a lot of Shi'i Muslims, at least judging by their prayers - hands at the side. Either that, or the roughly 15% of Malikis in the world all go to Harvard. :-) Seriously, I think maybe 50% of the people at jumu3ah prayers are Shi'i, although I've never asked anyone.

LOL! Don't underestimate the amount of Malikis there are...

Anyhow, sister, out of curiosity, as a person who is a part of the MSA, and who (seemingly) considers herself a part of the Ja'fari Shia community (judging by your earlier post), do you still maintain your Ismaili beliefs? If so, do you disclose to others that you are Ismaili, and if so, have you faced discrimination because of this? Have you ever considered becoming an orthodox (either Shia or Sunni) Muslim?

Feel free to respond to any of those questions, just something I'm curious to learn about.

#14 loveahlulbayt4ever

loveahlulbayt4ever

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:44 AM

Really Cypress I never knew that! I only know one person that goes there and she is a shia :P

#15 albarak

albarak
  • Basic Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:14 PM

Salam,

There is a Jaffari Center located in Quicy, Ma. It is accessible by public transportation. Visit: http://imanislamiccenter.org/ to get the address.

Good Luck.

#16 albarak

albarak
  • Basic Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:31 PM

Cool! you will like it there its really nice! I went to an event by the MIT muslim association they had Ammar Naskhawani a few months ago it was really nice. If you need further help feel free to ask me.

Salam Brother,

Thank you for the vote of confidence ...!? I am a Jaaffari Ithna Ashari Shia from Lebanon -- I've prayed at the Sunni Mosque on Prospect st in Cambridge, Ma; and at the MIT and Harvard Prayer rooms. Educated Muslims don't ask what sect you belong to! But most of them if you are willing to pray in their Jamaah prayers or individually at the prayer room assume that you are a Maliki (Maliki's are the closest to the shia's) -- but even if they find out that you are a Shia they don't bother because the Muslim community in Boston is well integrated and does indeed reflect the true spirit of islam. Some Shia muslims contributed financially to the Sunni Mosques and schools; and the Sunni "Islamic Association of New England" contributed to the shia effort in one way or another ( I recall a Sunni brother from Syria helped in the fund raising for the Shia Center in Quincy, MA. Here in Boston, We agree not to disagree! Just be careful with some Iraqi's who are difficult to deal with --they tend to take a negative position against our sunni brothers; and of course, some Sunni brothers who are influenced by Wahabi or radical islam tend to shy away from the shia. If you avoid critical religious discourse and stick the recitation of Quran and Duaa' - you will be fine!

Cheers

Edited by albarak, 20 May 2009 - 12:33 PM.

#17 mohamad10

mohamad10
  • Basic Members
  • 2 posts
  • Religion:Islam

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:03 PM

Try Iman near Boston
http://www.maskindesign.com/iman/

#18 aimoosh

aimoosh
  • Basic Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:43 PM

Do you know of any Shia place in Hartford, CT?

Edited by aimoosh, 17 September 2010 - 09:44 PM.

#19 azim

azim
  • Basic Members
  • 2 posts
  • Religion:Muslim

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:39 PM

Salam Brother,

Thank you for the vote of confidence ...!? I am a Jaaffari Ithna Ashari Shia from Lebanon -- I've prayed at the Sunni Mosque on Prospect st in Cambridge, Ma; and at the MIT and Harvard Prayer rooms. Educated Muslims don't ask what sect you belong to! But most of them if you are willing to pray in their Jamaah prayers or individually at the prayer room assume that you are a Maliki (Maliki's are the closest to the shia's) -- but even if they find out that you are a Shia they don't bother because the Muslim community in Boston is well integrated and does indeed reflect the true spirit of islam. Some Shia muslims contributed financially to the Sunni Mosques and schools; and the Sunni "Islamic Association of New England" contributed to the shia effort in one way or another ( I recall a Sunni brother from Syria helped in the fund raising for the Shia Center in Quincy, MA. Here in Boston, We agree not to disagree! Just be careful with some Iraqi's who are difficult to deal with --they tend to take a negative position against our sunni brothers; and of course, some Sunni brothers who are influenced by Wahabi or radical islam tend to shy away from the shia. If you avoid critical religious discourse and stick the recitation of Quran and Duaa' - you will be fine!

Cheers

Salaams

I am visiting Beirut next week and would like to know what are the Shia mosques in the vicinity. Specifically, I will be there during the celebration of the event of Mubahillah and was wondering if there are any specific programmes that will be held at the local mosque?

Finally, given that there is a sig non muslim population in Beirut should I assume that restaurants are not halal unless specifically stated?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Azim

#20 Dhulfiqar

Dhulfiqar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,972 posts
  • Interests:Interest? Isn't that haram? =)

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:28 AM

I lived in Boston for a few years (during the early days of Hopkinton center). My suggestion for college students, I was in the same position as many of you. I ended up being "adopted" by family in Boston who regularly attended Hopkinton. It's really the only way unless you can carpool with someone.

Wa Salaam,
Dhulfiqar

#21 raak_racie

raak_racie
  • Basic Members
  • 1 posts
  • Religion:Shia Muslim

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

Salaam Brothers and Sisters

There is not enough enough Shia centers and events in Boston area, and I am sure there many Shia Muslims here. So we should come together and start some events; like Group Praying (at least on Fridays, Ramadan, or Moharram events)

So please search Boston Shia Club on Facebook and "like" it. So we can have community and put our thoughts together.

God bless you all, see you there.

#22 IraqiAmerican777

IraqiAmerican777
  • Basic Members
  • 42 posts
  • Religion:Ithna Ashari

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:27 PM

thats discouraging...was gonna apply to a univ in boston...

#23 vze4fd2s

vze4fd2s

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:03 AM

Salaam Brothers and Sisters

There is not enough enough Shia centers and events in Boston area, and I am sure there many Shia Muslims here. So we should come together and start some events; like Group Praying (at least on Fridays, Ramadan, or Moharram events)

So please search Boston Shia Club on Facebook and "like" it. So we can have community and put our thoughts together.

God bless you all, see you there.

(bismillah)
(salam)

Raak-racie, can you post the Facebook link here?

#24 bostonbrother

bostonbrother
  • Basic Members
  • 9 posts
  • Religion:Muslim - Shia

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

There are a number of events in the cambridge area..Dua Komail and also a Quran Study Group for brothers. There is a formal center in Hopkinton where Maulana Rizvi was..this weekend was his last day and he is returning to NJ. If you are Farsi speaking there is a Farsi speaking group that also meets in Hopkinton on Saturdays. I believe there is an Arabic speaking center in Quincy? not sure as I have not made it out that way.

#25 Zahra1

Zahra1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Interests:Reading books

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:28 AM

(bismillah)
(salam)

Raak-racie, can you post the Facebook link here?

Wa alikum alsalam,

Here is the link:

http://www.facebook....131856643549864

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users