Sign in to follow this  
Yusuf Ibn Adam

Shia Communities In Turkey?

Rate this topic

As- Salaam Alaikum,

Can someone shed some light on Ithna Ashari communities in Turkey? I have heard that there are roughly 4 million Shias in Turkey, but I'm not sure if this number includes the Alevis or not?

Are there any major Shia communities in Istanbul?

There are about 3-4 million Twelver Shias in Turkey, most of whom (if not all) are of Azeri Turkish origin. This number does not include the Alevis, who number anywhere from 15-25 million, but some Alevis are turning towards Jafari Twelver Shiism thanks to the spread of Shia religious materials and knowledge.

From what I've heard, certain neighborhoods in Istanbul are entirely Shia, but I'm not sure of exactly which ones they are. On Youtube, however, you can find videos of Ashura processions from İstanbul. Corum, Kars, Iğdır, and Ağrı supposedly also have Shia populations.

As for the voice of the Twelvers in the country, Turkey's Shia leader is an Azeri named Selahattin Ozgunduz.

Edited by bkt900

The 4 million that you heard of do not include Alevis, since they are not Shi'a - they are a Sufi order that leans towards Shi'a ideology (most Sufi orders follow a Sunni madhab). If you ever hear that Turkey has 20 million Shi'is, know that it is an inaccurate representation because this figure would also include the Alevis.

If you mean Bektashi alevi shias, or simply alevis, they are definitely NOT sunni, they are twelvers.

I agree. They are not "orthodox" shia but make no mistake they are twelvers.

On 8/14/2008 at 10:54 PM, bkt900 said:

There are about 3-4 million Twelver Shias in Turkey, most of whom (if not all) are of Azeri Turkish origin. This number does not include the Alevis, who number anywhere from 15-25 million, but some Alevis are turning towards Jafari Twelver Shiism thanks to the spread of Shia religious materials and knowledge.

From what I've heard, certain neighborhoods in Istanbul are entirely Shia, but I'm not sure of exactly which ones they are. On Youtube, however, you can find videos of Ashura processions from İstanbul. Corum, Kars, Iğdır, and Ağrı supposedly also have Shia populations.

As for the voice of the Twelvers in the country, Turkey's Shia leader is an Azeri named Selahattin Ozgunduz.

My god, you guys have no shame. Shiites of all denominations constitute just 10 percent of the population