- - - - -

Seriously Nice Abayas!

14 replies to this topic

#1 Nabeeha

Nabeeha

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Peace, Religion, Art, culture, architecture, family, friends, languages, rock-climbing, mountainbiking, sailing, nature, good food and cooking, sewing, education for my self and for others, womens and childrens, and human rights (I believe in equality for women without having to sacrifice being a woman and feminime), medicine, pottery, and all sorts of things that are good for me and doesn't harm others. <br /><br />I'm not interested in any brothers other than for intelligent discussions with no sexual intentions. If anyone contacts me in that manner I will report you and not speak to you. Please respekt this, However as I said respectful intelligent discussions are ok. Maa salaam/ Nabeeha

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:27 PM

Salaam sisters,
I just found http://www.aabuk.com/ thee have some REALLY nice abayas! I really wish i had enough money to buy one but oh well maybe some day!

I think i am turning into an abaya freak :) (in a good way) in heart atleast, seeing as i only own one. What about you all?

Love and maa salaam

#2 Fasiha Jafri

Fasiha Jafri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:50 PM

Wassalam

I already am an abaya freak... :!!!:

My mom and I are about the same height... and what color do we NOT have?? Purple, white, black, brown, blue, green... and the're not bright or anything... they're very subtle but the design is exquisite.

And I don't even want to start on my hijab collection. B)

She goes to read majlises in L.A, and there's a store called Al-Anwar that has the most stunning abayas and a very good value... :wub:

Edited by Fasiha Jafri, 15 July 2008 - 04:50 PM.

#3 sk00n

sk00n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:12 PM

Im already an abaya freak xD
I own quite a few- but all of them are black which different shiny designs and stuff .
I love abaya's. I like, live in them :wub:

#4 strawberry

strawberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:20 PM

Loll I have four but I'm looking for more....plenty over here- I guess that's the problem- it's hard to choose and I don't like the most of the emarati-styles here- they're abit too flashy

#5 I Believe

I Believe

• Chat Mod
  • 650 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:30 PM

Loll I have four but I'm looking for more....plenty over here- I guess that's the problem- it's hard to choose and I don't like the most of the emarati-styles here- they're abit too flashy

I get my Abayas sent over from Iraq, now that the mail system is working. My aunt sent me some really nice Abayas with pants.. so the abayas come abt 3/4ths, with black pants. They're really nice and practical. I tend to trip in the really long abayas lol.

Edited by Vision, 15 July 2008 - 05:34 PM.

#6 Nabeeha

Nabeeha

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Peace, Religion, Art, culture, architecture, family, friends, languages, rock-climbing, mountainbiking, sailing, nature, good food and cooking, sewing, education for my self and for others, womens and childrens, and human rights (I believe in equality for women without having to sacrifice being a woman and feminime), medicine, pottery, and all sorts of things that are good for me and doesn't harm others. <br /><br />I'm not interested in any brothers other than for intelligent discussions with no sexual intentions. If anyone contacts me in that manner I will report you and not speak to you. Please respekt this, However as I said respectful intelligent discussions are ok. Maa salaam/ Nabeeha

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:23 AM

I get my Abayas sent over from Iraq, now that the mail system is working. My aunt sent me some really nice Abayas with pants.. so the abayas come abt 3/4ths, with black pants. They're really nice and practical. I tend to trip in the really long abayas lol.

I'm so glad you said that sister! I have always been wondering about the tripping thing, if i am the only one doing that haha!
Altough i must admit, living in Sweden as i do, in the autumn and winter...hmm and spring too if it's gooey outside, abayas just don't work that well :( looking all dirty isn't a good representation really... having practical clothing that is still hijab can be tricky!

i'll have to go on holiday somewhere warm so i can use all my (future) abayas :)

Maa salaam girls

#7 ms_moonlight

ms_moonlight

• Unregistered
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:23 AM

I'm so glad you said that sister! I have always been wondering about the tripping thing, if i am the only one doing that haha!
Altough i must admit, living in Sweden as i do, in the autumn and winter...hmm and spring too if it's gooey outside, abayas just don't work that well :( looking all dirty isn't a good representation really... having practical clothing that is still hijab can be tricky!

i'll have to go on holiday somewhere warm so i can use all my (future) abayas :)

Maa salaam girls

Bismi Allah

Actually sister there is a solution to the "tripping thing". I too live in Sweden and not only in Sweden but in the southernmost part of the country, where Winter is rainy and muddy, as well as Fall and Spring....lol And having lived a few years in Egypt, I quickly became an "abaya sister" :)

So what is the solution? Here it is:

When you buy an abaya, most of the time it's too long and you need to go somewhere to get it hemmed up (don't even try that on your own; it will end up uneven and give you that half-baked I-wish-I-knew-how-to-sew look...unless you're a pro).

In the seamstress' shop, make her hem it up so that you're showing about an inch of your jeans (I prefer to wear pants underneath the abaya; maleshhh...). Sort of like what they call a "tunic" in Egypt; you're showing the edge of your pants. THIS way, your abaya won't drag around in the mud (your pants will, hah!) and being Swedish I am sure you're aware of the ever so practical rubber boots even adults seem to wear here. Get a chic pair somewhere and....enjoy the slush and mud :D

This is that abaya-with-pants look, but on a jilbab....: http://www.jelbab.co...p?prdID=3108674

Alternative #2 if you don't want to hem your abayas up that much, is to let her hem them so they're "hovering" about 1-1,5 inches from the floor sort of (depending on the style of shoes you wear). So your tip of your shoes show but that's it. Yes this will drag your clothes around in the mud, but again here I am recommending you wear pants or jeans underneath. Because....when faced with outdoor slush and stuff, you're going to hold your abaya up just a little bit, like the princesses do in the fairy tales :D Sounds silly but that is how to avoid getting muddy outside....

Salaam alaykum,

Ms. Moonlight

#8 ~RuQaYaH~

~RuQaYaH~

Alhamdulilah ala niamat al Islam

• Mods
  • 4,831 posts
  • Interests:Islam, politics, history, soccer, philosophy, law

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:15 AM

(salam)
Yeah I'm an abaya freak too. I really like the grey tweedy rose one, I've been looking for something like that except a little bit lighter in colour:

http://www.aabuk.com...ails.php?id=156

and the white delight abaya is nice too, I've always wanted a white abaya :wub: :

http://www.aabuk.com...p?id=94&picid=1

wasalaam

#9 Nabeeha

Nabeeha

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:59 PM

Bismi Allah

Actually sister there is a solution to the "tripping thing". I too live in Sweden and not only in Sweden but in the southernmost part of the country, where Winter is rainy and muddy, as well as Fall and Spring....lol And having lived a few years in Egypt, I quickly became an "abaya sister" :)

So what is the solution? Here it is:

When you buy an abaya, most of the time it's too long and you need to go somewhere to get it hemmed up (don't even try that on your own; it will end up uneven and give you that half-baked I-wish-I-knew-how-to-sew look...unless you're a pro).

In the seamstress' shop, make her hem it up so that you're showing about an inch of your jeans (I prefer to wear pants underneath the abaya; maleshhh...). Sort of like what they call a "tunic" in Egypt; you're showing the edge of your pants. THIS way, your abaya won't drag around in the mud (your pants will, hah!) and being Swedish I am sure you're aware of the ever so practical rubber boots even adults seem to wear here. Get a chic pair somewhere and....enjoy the slush and mud :D

This is that abaya-with-pants look, but on a jilbab....: http://www.jelbab.co...p?prdID=3108674

Alternative #2 if you don't want to hem your abayas up that much, is to let her hem them so they're "hovering" about 1-1,5 inches from the floor sort of (depending on the style of shoes you wear). So your tip of your shoes show but that's it. Yes this will drag your clothes around in the mud, but again here I am recommending you wear pants or jeans underneath. Because....when faced with outdoor slush and stuff, you're going to hold your abaya up just a little bit, like the princesses do in the fairy tales :D Sounds silly but that is how to avoid getting muddy outside....

Salaam alaykum,

Ms. Moonlight

Wa alaikum as-salaam syster,
I love you solution, especially the gummi rubber boots :) i'v been wanting these for a while http://www.tamarahen...cameltweed.html they also have kinda like rubber ballerina shoes!!

I'll end up being the only one in the stables with a half tunik abaya and funky boots haha!

maa salaam

#10 Nabeeha

Nabeeha

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:04 PM

(salam)
Yeah I'm an abaya freak too. I really like the grey tweedy rose one, I've been looking for something like that except a little bit lighter in colour:

http://www.aabuk.com...ails.php?id=156

and the white delight abaya is nice too, I've always wanted a white abaya :wub: :

http://www.aabuk.com...p?id=94&picid=1

wasalaam

I know i want the tweed one too!! i like that you can take the flower on and off...

maa salaam

#11 Fatimaa

Fatimaa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:05 PM

(bismillah)

Walaikum Assalam,

Woow awesome abayas but i didn't get the meaning of 'Mum to be' abayas ....... sorry for my ignorance :blush:

Wassalam.

#12 Submission

Submission

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:28 PM

I started wearing Abaya to school last year, and since then the need for a variety of abaya's has increased. While in Pakistan, I got some made for me from a tailor, with different colours and materials. I cant seem to find much variety in colour and style here. I've never really ordered any Abaya's online - for those who have, do they usually turn out as expected?

#13 Nabeeha

Nabeeha

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:37 PM

Salaam sister, i'm prettys ure they mean pregnancy wear, i.e: a bit bigger around the tummy :)

Maa salaam

#14 ummleyla

ummleyla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Religion:Islam-shia(alhamdulillah)
  • Interests:Islam and my kids.

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:54 PM

My hubby calls that kind a jelabia.I am not sure if he is right. He says an abaya is what you have over your head like the iranians have the chador.That abaya is the arabic version of it.Hmm,I bought a lot of abayas in Cairo. They were so cheap.7 dollars for the most cheapest in the bazars.But in shops they could cost up to between 10-15 dollars.Only a few were very expencive. I prefered he cheap hehe.

Edited by ummleyla, 18 August 2008 - 10:58 PM.

#15 Ya_Zahra2

Ya_Zahra2
  • Basic Members
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Dabkeh, books (sci-fic, comedy/romance)

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:58 PM

wow... thats interesting.. i never knew u were able to buy 3abayas online .. nice... + they have nice 3abayas

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users