Rate this topic

IT'S WAY TOO RISKY!!

dont put any address, not your yahoo/msn/hotmail or whatsoever on your profile. it's also applied to the married sisters. believe me it's very dangerous!!
you should be extra careful, if there is someone ask u for your personal information even if he (sometimes "SHE" :dry: ) ask it with some long pathetic prelude, it's better for you for being suspicious in the first place to avoid being manipulated later.
just dont give it away. internet can be a very risky place to have a friend. there are actually some pervert wrapped in "piety outlook". so be extra careful sister. i've already done my personal research on this.

Please view these videos

I think sisters should me more wary of some OTHER SISTERS, or perv-ETTES as they may also be referred to. I know that is going to be met with a load of abuse by the usual suspects :sick: (you know who you haters are), but I don't care. Most intelligent girls will have a finely tuned 6th sense when it comes to pervy men. We all know when a man is trying it on, and we know (hopefully) to stay the heck away.

The pervert radar does not always detect pervs of the same sex, if a girl is being kind and claiming to be helping you, you might not think anything of it. It's messed up. A boy being a perv is something you might expect, when a girl does is it, it is unexpected and leaves a deep psychological impression. It is horrible to think about but it happens.

The original post might have about that weird perv who managed to defy science and get pregnant only to kill off his husband all in the name of getting some msns. But the fact is we aren't safe from anyone-male or female.

Edited by Hanieh

So true, the internet is a lot more dangerous than it seems, there's heaps of predators out there!

(wasalam)

I used to put a lot of things out there on the internet, my picture, email, msn, etc...and as of yet I have had no problems. I generally don't accept friends requests from men and people who do not have a picture. I trust my instincts. I have only come across one "sister" who was actually a guy online, but I didn't fall for it.

oopsie! I just posted asking for some shia sisters in this area. I sure don't want to give my information any one claiming to be a sister and living in this area. What was I thinking? Getting to know through internet is never safe. Thanks for the reminder. I will delete my post. :)

man this is scary. but i had a lot net friends and they all hit on me so i blocked and deleted them all.  they talk properly at first and then start getting all "fresh".

(bismillah)

(salam)

Mods have received complaints about individuals who seek out personal details of members like phone numbers, places of work and residence etc. Then seek to use that information to embarrass or otherwise harass people.

This is a VERY SERIOUS issue and could lead to disruptions in daily routines or even to PHYSICAL HARM. This is not an issue solely at ShiaChat.com but applies to ALL online activities. FEMALE MEMBERS are specifically at risk from these individuals.

We urge members not to disclose their personal information in public, even if it is in a form of a question asked on a thread. There are a few general guidelines you can follow for your own safety:
  • Do not use your real name
  • Do not use your primary e-mail address
  • Do not disclose any contact telephone numbers
  • Do not disclose the location of your school, work, residence etc.
  • Take any other precaution for your safety that you feel is necessary
Choose your online friends wisely and always maintain modesty especially when conversing with the opposite gender. If you don't have a reason to converse, then there is no need to converse considering the person is a total stranger. Seeing as this is an Islamic site, the expectation is that members must maintain a level of modesty at all times. Many times stalkers will talk to people you know to gather bit and pieces of information that you have never disclosed to them directly. Anyone can save a chatlog, even a friend who means no harm can unknowingly disclose such information to individuals, who would abuse such information. Unless you know the person in real life and meet them in person, there is NO GOOD reason to disclose such details to them.

And last but not least I'd like to add that if someone is harassing you on ShiaChat.com: Contact the Mod team and disclose as much detail of what has happened as you can. If someone does start harassing you remember that cyberstalking is a criminal offence in many areas. NEVER delete any communication from a stalker. Save all emails/chat logs/IMs/PMs or telephone messages. EDUCATE yourself on the need for online privacy and the disruptive effects it can have on your life if you choose to trust the wrong people.

Remember if such a person is abusing your information, he will not hesitate to abuse others. You could be helping to prevent such an incident.

Please view these videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZHq4CQekTY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTvufchSYMs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5WEnqnq1Hk
Thank You
Wassalam.

Source: Online Privacy!

(salam)

ShiaChat Member Advisory

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

We would like to take the time to remind everyone of ONLINE SAFETY TIPS and SHIACHAT POLICIES designed to promote a safe online experience.

1) NEVER give out PERSONAL INFORMATION, such as your NAME, PHONE #, or EMAIL ADDRESS to someone you meet online. Many people "seem nice" behind the computer screen but then take advantage of this information. We advise sisters in particular to be cautious. Don't be naive and trust someone just because they say they are Muslim or Muslim and Shi’a and practicing. Be cautious!

If you have given out your email address, telephone number, or home address and feel like you are in an unsafe situation, never hesitate to contact local law enforcement. It is their responsibility to take care of these matters.

2) DO NOT post on behalf of banned members. Banned members are banned for a reason. It has come to our attention that there has been an increasing issue with banned members requesting others to post for them. You do NOT have to post on behalf of a banned member just because he or she asks you to.

3) Use your good intuition when dealing with people online. If something sounds inappropriate, it probably is!

4) Please report online abuses (such as harassment, stalking, inappropriate comments, inappropriate PM's) to the administration.

5) Please note that identity theft is a legal crime and punishable in many areas, including the United States. This includes but is not limited to sending out an email using someone else's email address (email masking software). The administrators here can and will track all abuses committed through this site.

6) Please note that any inappropriate quoting of ShiaChat posts on other online forums will be reported to the administrators of those forums. While posts on ShiaChat are public, many members discuss sensitive/private issues, and those posts need to be treated with respect and not taken out of context.

(Note: In general, quoting of ShiaChat posts on other forums is fine. Many members here say valuable things. By "inappropriate quoting", we mean quoting of posts in a way that distorts the original meaning and brings disrespect on the author or on ShiaChat as a whole. Examples: quoting a request for marital or fiqh advice to produce a sexually explicit out of context post on another forum)

The ShiaChat administration will do everything it can to respond to complaints about harassment or misuse of the site. In the unfortunate event of illegal action, we will do whatever we can to involve the appropriate law enforcement agencies. However, we would also like to remind you that YOU are ultimately responsible for your online safety.

Take care and best wishes for a safe and happy online experience!

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/234949287-member-advisory/?p=1716925

There are allot of stuff we should be aware off, honestly.

I don't trust internet, & sometimes the people on it as well, & sometimes no matter how much you think you know someone to share your info with, they'd turn out to be some creep.

I remember a guy messaging me on some site, i shared a little information about me, he decided to message me & not leg go, i begged him to leave me alone, he kept on messaging, i blocked him, he made different accounts to message me on again, he was asking who i was, & my background, my dads name & last name & he assumed that he knew me, he was telling me that if i don't tell him he's gonna do something, i didn't, & i'm pretty sure i don't know the guy ( in real life) he had soo much pictures & he was a very old member, so i have never seen him before!

Next morning, he sent me a picture of my house, literally he came like at 5 am & took a picture, our car was there & everything, he sent it to me & told me that he found out where i live & he came over just to take a picture, & i honestly don't know how, internet is scary. I'm now scared to be home alone, he could just come at anytime.

he tells me if i don't tell him stuff, he can just come over & do something threaten me since he knows where i live, but Alhamdulilah, he's gone now....

On 7/17/2015 at 3:54 PM, laithAlIRAQI said:

Watch out ....

as far as i know, he's gone, i said something to him, he never showed up again, never messaged, but the last thing he said to me is, i could come over your house, but i'm not bad so i don't do bad things, so don't worry i'm not like that, I just heard it from one ear  & got it out from the other, like seriously, basically an internet stalker tries to find out where you live & comes in front of your house, he's not  bad & wants nothing? well I hope so, But yea as long as Allah is here, i shall be safe insha'Allah 

as far as i know, he's gone, i said something to him, he never showed up again, never messaged, but the last thing he said to me is, i could come over your house, but i'm not bad so i don't do bad things, so don't worry i'm not like that, I just heard it from one ear & got it out from the other, like seriously, basically an internet stalker tries to find out where you live & comes in front of your house, he's not bad & wants nothing? well I hope so, But yea as long as Allah is here, i shall be safe insha'Allah

what a creep

It's shocking what people can find about you if they try. Someone once got into my personal chat conversations and attempted to terrorize me by quoting stuff I'd only shared with family and one or two close friends. That's why I don't online chat anymore, or barely do.

Assalamu alaikum sisters, 

Please help me. 

In here there was post that someone has created a watsapp group and I posted my contact number in her profile and now some random person texted me.  I want my post to be removed.  Any suggestions please sisters. :(

Alhamdulila anything bad has happened to me when I chat online, except that some people is rude to me, and sometimes threaten me. Most of them never talk again, I don't know for what people go to chats if is not for chatting.

Salam All (especially sisters)

1. Please understand that all members of staff working for the companies whose apps you use - such as instagram, snapchat, facebook, whatsapp etc all have access to all of your details, including hijabless pictures you might send to friends. I cannot stress this enough that it is NOT ok to share hijabless pictures of yourself via apps even if its just between your girlfriends. the kuffar are crazy about seeing "whats under the hijab" and stalk hijabi accounts to catch these sorts of pics. 

2. any guy that approaches you online is more than likely going to hit on you at some point. keep it formal, keep it distant. don't make friends with the opposite gender. you might say "lol" to a guy and he will instantly start thinking of names for your future children. 

3. oh my god why do I need to say this - never. EVER. give any personal identifiable information about yourself online. not your real name, not your phone number, email or anything. all a stalker has to do is type your name here to find your home address. you can search for people via their email addresses on all main social media websites too. its very easy to find people online these days apart from those who have gone dark

4. be like hidden pearls, not like the one riding a camel into battle. you don't need to live your life on social media. if nothing else it will stop giving people chance to give you the evil eye

5. anything that almost any male ever says to you is a lie. there are always a few exceptions of course but assume a guy is guilty until he gives you reason to prove his trustworthyness

On 12/14/2016 at 5:38 AM, DigitalUmmah said:

Salam All (especially sisters)

2. any guy that approaches you online is more than likely going to hit on you at some point. keep it formal, keep it distant. don't make friends with the opposite gender. you might say "lol" to a guy and he will instantly start thinking of names for your future children. 

I cannot stress this thing enough to the sistas