#1 Thurston

Thurston

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Religion:Islam (Shia)
  • Interests:Tabarra

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:06 PM

MUZAFFARPUR: On the tenth day of Muharram, the first month of Islamic calendar, Shia Muslims across the world spend the day in mourning to commemorate the 1327-year-old martyrdom of Hazrat Imam Hussain, his family and followers. Here on Sunday, a group of Hindus participated in the Muharram procession with equal veneration.

They claim their lineage to Hussaini Brahmin sect. And, from this year, they have revived their centuries-old tradition of shedding tears in the memory of the martyrs of Karbala -- which their ancestors used to do. Mostly Bhumihars, the group marched barefoot from Bara Imambara in Brahampur locality here beating their chest and chanting "Ya Hussain".

They also carried a banner proclaiming their sentiments towards the Imam and his martyrdom. "Our ancestors also fought in support of Imam Hussain and sacrificed their lives in Karbala and we are equally pained at the historical martyrdom," said Bhumihar Brahmin Mahasabha convenor Arun Kumar Sharma.

References in several books and records confirm that some Hindus did join Imam Hussain, the grandson of Prophet Mohammad, when he was through a bloody battle against Yezid at Karbala (in Iraq) on October 10, 680 AD.

The sect, which was later named Hussaini Brahmin, had settled on the banks of river Euphrates. Subsequently, they returned to India and assumed various titles like Datts, Mohiyals, Tyagis and many others. They also practised an intriguing blend of Islamic and Hindu traditions.

This was the first time in recent memory that the people claiming the lineage joined the Muharram rituals in this part of the country. The late Sunil Dutt, who belonged to Hussaini Brahmin sect, used to attend Muharram processions.

Asked why this practice remained discontinued for decades Sharma, a practising lawyer, said: "We can say this was the fault of our fathers and grandfathers who did not teach us about this aspect of our historical and cultural heritage."

Marching in the procession ahead of the band of young Shia youths injuring their chest and back with blades fixed to chains, small daggers or even razors, Upendra Prasad Shahi said, "The battle of Karbala was a war to save humanity and faith. We are proud that our ancestors, too, sacrificed their lives."

Legend has it that Rahab Sidh Datt had fought on behalf of Imam Hussain in the battle of Karbala, sacrificing his seven sons in the process. Rahab was the leader of a small band of career-soldiers living near Baghdad at the time of the battle of Karbala. In his novel "Karbala", Munshi Prem Chand mentions about Hindus fighting for Imam Hussain and referred to them as descendants of Ashwastthama, son of Dronacharya.

The Hussaini Brahmin sect is today a rapidly vanishing community. The younger generation of the clan are said to be abandoning their ancestral heritage, some seeing it as embarrassingly deviant. "We should, rather, feel proud of this tradition," said Sharma who has painstakingly pursued his caste people to help revive this heritage. "Before the advent of Islam, we had blood relations with the people of the Arab world," Sharma claimed.

http://timesofindia....how/2716459.cms

#2 Asif_Ali

Asif_Ali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:16 PM

(salam)

I have heard of husseini brahmins too, and have also seen a sikh man at some muharrum majalis. I was wondering what evidence there is for the participation of their ancestors, where it is recorded and what the opinion of our ulema is on this?

fee aman Allah

#3 vsg

vsg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:33 PM

I know in Karachi hindus take out their own procession on shab-e-Ashoor

#4 lfatima

lfatima

• Unregistered
  • PipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:Haath jin mein ho junoon kat-te nahi talwaar se<br />Sar jo uth jaate hain, voh jhukte nahi lalkaar se<br />Aur bhadkega jo shola-sa humaare dil mein hai<br />Sarfaroshi ki tamanna ab hamaare dil mein hai<br /><br />Hum to ghar se nikle hi the, baandhkar sar pe kafan<br />Jaan hatheli par liye lo barh chale hain ye qadam<br />Zindagi to apni mehmaan maut ki mehfil mein hai<br />Sarfaroshi ki tamanna ab hamaare dil mein hai<br /><br />Yuun khadaa maqtal mein qaatil kah rahaa hai baar baar<br />Kya tamannaa-e-shahaadat bhi kisee ke dil mein hai<br />Dil mein tuufaanon ki toli aur nason mein inquilaab<br />Hosh dushman ke udaa denge, humein roko na aaj<br />Door reh paaye jo humse, dam kahaan manzil mein hai<br />- Bismil Azimabadi

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:42 PM

quote name='vsg' date='Jan 20 2008, 04:33 PM' post='1572951']
I know in Karachi hindus take out their own procession on shab-e-Ashoor
[/quote]
(salam)
Its very common.
Its part of the culture and tehzeeb. IN Lucnow, the HIndus traidtionally dont have any ocassions during this time..I had a HIndu friend from Amroha whose entire family observed the 10 days of mourning..
you can read the famous writer Rahi masoom Raza's book, Adha Gaon/ The Vilagges of Ganguli to read about the reverence of taziyahs and azadari by HIndus.
I have heard from a HIndu 'pandit' myself: 'Lucknow never had a Hindu Muslim riot till 1992, although it always had Shia sunni clashes during Muhharram'.

Peace
INteresting piece:

The Hindu Devotees of Imam Hussain (A.S.)
By: Yoginder Sikand
http://smma59.wordpr...m-hussain-as-2/
One of the most important events in early Muslim history was the battle of Karbala fought in 680 CE in which Imam Hussain, grandson of the Prophet through his daughter Fatima and her husband Imam Ali, was slaughtered along with a small group of disciples in a bloody battle against Yazid, a tyrant who had usurped the Muslim caliphate. This event occurred in the Islamic month of Muharram, and it is for this reason that this month is observed with great solemnity in many parts of the Muslim world.

What is particularly striking about the observances of the month of Muharram in India is the prominent participation of Hindus in the rituals. This has been a feature of popular religion for centuries in large parts of India, and continues even today, albeit on a smaller scale. In towns and villages all over the country, Hindus join Muslims in lamenting the martyrdom of Hussain, by sponsoring or taking part in lamentation rituals and tazia processions. In Lucknow, seat of the Shia nawabs of Awadh, prominent Hindu noblemen like Raja Tikait Rai and Raja Bilas Rai built Imambaras to house alams, standards representing the Karbala event. The non-Muslim tribal Lambadi community in Andhra Pradesh have their own genre of Muharram lamentation songs in Telugu. Among certain Hindus in Rajasthan, the Karbala battle is recounted by staging plays in which the death of Imam Hussain is enacted, after which the women of the village come out in a procession, crying and cursing Yazid for his cruelty. This custom is known as pitna dalna. In large parts of north India, Hindus believe that if barren women slip under an alam moving in a procession they will be blessed with a child.

Hussaini Brahmin Sect

Perhaps the most intriguing case of Hindu veneration of Imam Hussain is to be found among the small Hussaini Brahmin sect, located mostly in Punjab, also known as Dutts or Mohiyals. Unlike other Brahmin clans, the Hussaini Brahmins have had a long martial tradition, which they trace back to the event of Karbala. They believe that an ancestor named Rahab traveled all the way from Punjab to Arabia and there developed close relations with Imam Hussain. In the battle of Karbala, Rahab fought in the army of the Imam against Yazid. His sons, too, joined him, and most of them were killed. The Imam, seeing Rahab’s love for him, bestowed upon him the title of sultan or king, and told him to go back to India. It is because of this close bond between their ancestor Rahab and Imam Hussain that the Hussaini Brahmins got their name.

After Rahab and those of his sons who survived the battle of Karbala reached India, they settled down in the western Punjab and gradually a community grew around them. This sect, the Hussaini Brahmins, practised an intriguing blend of Islamic and Hindu practices, because of which they were commonly known as ‘half Hindu, half Muslim’. A popular saying about the Hussainis has it thus:

Wah Dutt Sultan,
Hindu ka dharm
Musalman ka iman,
Adha Hindu adha Musalman
(Oh! Dutt the king
With the religion of the Hindu
And the faith of the Muslim
Half Hindu, half Muslim)
Dutt = Hussaini Brahmin

But there is also another version of how the Dutts of Punjab came to be known as Hussaini Brahmins. One of the wives of Imam Hussain, the Persian princess Shahr Banu, was the sister of Chandra Lekha or Mehr Banu, the wife of an Indian king called Chandragupta. When it became clear that Yazid was adamant on wiping out the Imam, the Imam’s son Ali ibn Hussain rushed off a letter to Chandragupta asking him for help against Yazid. When Chandragupta received the letter, he dispatched a large army to Iraq to assist the Imam. By the time they arrived, however, the Imam had been slain. In the town of Kufa, in present-day Iraq, they met with one Mukhtar Saqaffi, a disciple of the Imam, who arranged for them to stay in a special part of the town, which even today is known by the name of Dair-i-Hindiya or ‘the Indian quarter’.

Edited by lfatima, 20 January 2008 - 07:43 PM.

#5 Malek-e-Ashtar

Malek-e-Ashtar

Ya Muhammad (saww)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:13 PM

How interesting

Thanks for sharing lfatima, i wish there were shia sources confirming that.

#6 lfatima

lfatima

• Unregistered
  • PipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:Haath jin mein ho junoon kat-te nahi talwaar se<br />Sar jo uth jaate hain, voh jhukte nahi lalkaar se<br />Aur bhadkega jo shola-sa humaare dil mein hai<br />Sarfaroshi ki tamanna ab hamaare dil mein hai<br /><br />Hum to ghar se nikle hi the, baandhkar sar pe kafan<br />Jaan hatheli par liye lo barh chale hain ye qadam<br />Zindagi to apni mehmaan maut ki mehfil mein hai<br />Sarfaroshi ki tamanna ab hamaare dil mein hai<br /><br />Yuun khadaa maqtal mein qaatil kah rahaa hai baar baar<br />Kya tamannaa-e-shahaadat bhi kisee ke dil mein hai<br />Dil mein tuufaanon ki toli aur nason mein inquilaab<br />Hosh dushman ke udaa denge, humein roko na aaj<br />Door reh paaye jo humse, dam kahaan manzil mein hai<br />- Bismil Azimabadi

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:41 PM

How interesting

Thanks for sharing lfatima, i wish there were shia sources confirming that.

(salam)
Thanks for your views. Well most of the stuff is public knowldge and can be visibly seen.
I guess you are talking of confirming the dar e HIndiya in Kufa..
yes i would be great to find out. I know many Maulanas in the Awadh area have spoekn of this issue.
The Hussiani Federation of India;s annual journal has many marsiyas and article by Hindus poets and even many are on its commiittees. My uncle has been associated with them, and I have seen many issues with this info.

Peace!

#7 MOHIB E AHLAYBAIT

MOHIB E AHLAYBAIT

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,984 posts
  • Interests:Ya Ali, Ya Hussain

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:05 AM

INsaan ko bedar to ho lenay do
Her qom pukaray gi humaray hai Hussain

#8 Kaniz-e-Fatima Shiapower

Kaniz-e-Fatima Shiapower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Interests:Fighting wahabism, one shrunken pyjama at a time.

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:47 AM

A Hindu poet named Mathur said this sher:

Kam jiski ziya'ay hoN woh tanveer nahin hoon
Biddat se jo mitjaye woh tasveer nahin hoon
Gham hai meri fitrat mein to gham karta hoon Mathur
Hindu hoon magar dushman-e-Shabbir nahin hoon

The spirit of grief is universal. And the recognition of injustice is not limited to any creed or nation.
  • 3rd June likes this

#9 lfatima

lfatima

• Unregistered
  • PipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:25 AM

The spirit of grief is universal. And the recognition of injustice is not limited to any creed or nation.

(salam)

Narayee Hyderrri1

Thanks for sharing sister. I was looking for this sher for a long time.. didnt know it was by the great marsiya writer Mathur Lakhnavi sahab..
"GHam meri fitrat to gham karta hoon Mathur"

Jazaye Khair..

#10 Umme_Abeeha

Umme_Abeeha

Yaa Sayedatul Nisaa Al Aalameen.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • Interests:Every statement in which God is not mentioned is a vanity. Every silence in which there is no thought of Him is carelessness. Every reflection in which there is no consideration of Him is an idle pastime. <br /> Imam Ali (a) <br /><br />As for my interest,can't be bothered to type it all!!:P

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:00 AM

True Say!

It feels great to know that even people from other community recognise the greatness of this tragedy.

#11 hadsali

hadsali
  • Basic Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:46 AM

(salam)
are there any hindus that commemorate ashura in the UK

(wasalam)

#12 imranali

imranali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:24 AM

(salam)
are there any hindus that commemorate ashura in the UK

(wasalam)

I am not sure taht either any hindu Pandit's in UK have such program but I am sure if there is any one here, they will diff follow their religion.

#13 imranali

imranali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:58 AM

I havent really seen hindus that commemorate ashuria in the UK. Never seen it in my life. Maybe they do it, Maybe they don;t!

London is multi community area. I am sure, there must be some peoples here.

#14 Abbas

Abbas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:39 AM

Salam Alaikum

Imam Hussain's [a] aim was to rectify the ummah of his grandfather.
The spirit of Azadari is Islam. The spirit of Islam is Azadari.

The grief is the means, the aim is Islam and Iman and Taqwah.

Grief alone will not save any individual if there is no Iman.

Hindus will only grieve for Imam Husain [a] in the same way they grieve when the hero dies at the end of a Bollywood movie.

Tears will only be true to the real spirit of Azadari when the ma'rifat of Islam and La Ilaha Illallah is already there.

Sorry to be harsh, but thats how I see it.

Wassalam

#15 Malek-e-Ashtar

Malek-e-Ashtar

Ya Muhammad (saww)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 04:11 PM

^ shank yu dear for your opinions.

According to my opinion, I don't think anyone in their right mind would be prepared to have themsleves hacked to death or even think about siding with a loosing band of people (if looking with an inordinate eye), unless they belived and had the marifat of the Ahlulbayt (as) and especially Imam Hussain (as).

#16 Abbas

Abbas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:11 AM

Maarifat of Azadari and Imam Hussain = Maarifat of Islam.

If one still is reverting back to idol-worshipping after a round of weeping and matam, I don't think that is the maarifat of Imam Hussain [a].

#17 Malek-e-Ashtar

Malek-e-Ashtar

Ya Muhammad (saww)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:07 AM

^hmm good point.

I was refering to 'Rahab sidh dutt' who was killed in Karbala on the 10th Muharram, according to the articles posted above.

#18 Kaniz-e-Fatima Shiapower

Kaniz-e-Fatima Shiapower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Interests:Fighting wahabism, one shrunken pyjama at a time.

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:59 PM

Maarifat of Azadari and Imam Hussain = Maarifat of Islam.

If one still is reverting back to idol-worshipping after a round of weeping and matam, I don't think that is the maarifat of Imam Hussain [a].

I think that could be taken as an arrogant approach. Whereas the doors to mosques are closed to kaafirs, the unclean, etc the Door to the Ahle-Bayt is closed not no one.

We must also remember that Husayn belongs to all mankind, not just to us (as we usually think).

A person who has shed a tear for Imam Husayn (a.s.) has crossed the first step towards true enlightenment via Tawheed. Many so called muslims believe that they have found true Islam yet their hearts are stone cold when it comes the their Prophet's family, and their minds are closed to the significance of Karbala. In extreme cases, these people are the ones seen causing death and destruction wherever Husayn is mentioned and wept over. Would you say this person represents any kind of marifat?

It is so sad that you may credit these muslims, but have no value for the grief that a person neither associated with us our religion or creed has towards Karbala.

There can be no Husayn without humanity.

#19 al-`Ajal Ya Imaam

al-`Ajal Ya Imaam

al-Kanadee

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Religion:Shi`ah Ithna `Ashari Usooli Muslim
  • Interests:Listening to Maulana Rizvi's Surah Jumu`ah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXJbWV-InKs

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:31 PM

It is a good thing, the message of Karbala was a universal message for every man and jinn to learn from, Muslim or not, if you search the web, you will find many non-Muslims commented on Imam Hussain (as)

#20 Gotham

Gotham

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • Religion:Islam

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:20 PM

just thought id share:
http://www.pbs.org/w...-of-shia-islam/

Naqi Haider, who is pictured on the right and helped organize the program in venues across Manhattan, said half of the attendees this year were Sunni. “In Muharram, we often end up going into our own isolated communities,” he said. “We wanted to make sure this was open to all Muslims, as well non-Muslims.”

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users