Sign in to follow this  
molaayi_from_lahore

An Interesting Question

Rate this topic

Salaam

I have come to know that when you have put oil on your head(messaged hair with oil) and do wuzu for namaaz, 'masa' of your head is nt valid because water does not touch your hair and head skin so ultimately the wuzu is invalid.

And I also know that putting hair on your head i.e messaging your head/hair with oil is 'sunna' of prophet Muhammad (sa) and we should message our head with oil on weekly basis for good hair health.

Thought provoking point is that prophet Muhammad(sa) was a regular prayer rather he used to pray salaat a lot lot lot compared to normal people, then how can he put oil on head if he could not wuzu correctly.

Salaam

I have come to know that when you have put oil on your head(messaged hair with oil) and do wuzu for namaaz, 'masa' of your head is nt valid because water does not touch your hair and head skin so ultimately the wuzu is invalid.

And I also know that putting hair on your head i.e messaging your head/hair with oil is 'sunna' of prophet Muhammad (sa) and we should message our head with oil on weekly basis for good hair health.

Thought provoking point is that prophet Muhammad(sa) was a regular prayer rather he used to pray salaat a lot lot lot compared to normal people, then how can he put oil on head if he could not wuzu correctly.

salaamunUlaykum wr wb...from what i understand many parts of the human body secretes oils naturally for example if u rub your face on a window u will see the oils transfer from face to window and also if u rub your head with your hand u will feel it is oily, so i guess just make sure the water can provide some wetness to the head...what i do personally i use olive oil for my very near-bald head so i use very little oil and when i do wuzu i just make sure even the oil i used is a trivial amount so that the water is "adding" to the wetness of the head. inshaUllah this helps.

salaamunUlaykum wr wb...from what i understand many parts of the human body secretes oils naturally for example if u rub your face on a window u will see the oils transfer from face to window and also if u rub your head with your hand u will feel it is oily, so i guess just make sure the water can provide some wetness to the head...what i do personally i use olive oil for my very near-bald head so i use very little oil and when i do wuzu i just make sure even the oil i used is a trivial amount so that the water is "adding" to the wetness of the head. inshaUllah this helps.

umm..... more clarifications needed....

Edited by molaayi_from_lahore

I thought natural oil i.e on face is okay but if you put an oil on the hair, then how does the water go through the oil even if it be little. The same with hair gel. So many people ask this question and get the answer that says somin like:

its ok aslong as u dont put it on the part where ur doing the masah (pls refer to ur own 'rule book'). But what i dont get is that the water for wudhoo must be purely water (not mixed with anything) and so if ur doing masah and ur hand touches any gelled hair (very likely cos ur hands pretty big and most boys put gel on most of the head), the doesnt the water get mixed with gel and then ur gonna use this same water for masah of the feet? Also be careful with the ingredients on oil and check its not najis.

Can someone please answer the issues relating to the 'mixing' that occurs on an oiled/ gelled head.

I thought natural oil i.e on face is okay but if you put an oil on the hair, then how does the water go through the oil even if it be little. The same with hair gel. So many people ask this question and get the answer that says somin like:

its ok aslong as u dont put it on the part where ur doing the masah (pls refer to ur own 'rule book'). But what i dont get is that the water for wudhoo must be purely water (not mixed with anything) and so if ur doing masah and ur hand touches any gelled hair (very likely cos ur hands pretty big and most boys put gel on most of the head), the doesnt the water get mixed with gel and then ur gonna use this same water for masah of the feet? Also be careful with the ingredients on oil and check its not najis.

Can someone please answer the issues relating to the 'mixing' that occurs on an oiled/ gelled head.

also u want to make sure the ingredients arent najis.

Edited by gogiison2

i was wondering about this too. someone told me once u can't do wudhu/ghusl if u have oil in ur hair. however, it seems like the oil would absorb into the scalp over time so it wouldn't be a problem. does anyone know?

i was wondering about this too. someone told me once u can't do wudhu/ghusl if u have oil in ur hair. however, it seems like the oil would absorb into the scalp over time so it wouldn't be a problem. does anyone know?

I have also emailed this question to Sistani's QA team. Let us see what answer I get.

http://www.shirazi.ir/estefta/s-shirazi/taharat/letter1.htm

Question:

ÓÄÇá: Žá ãæ æÖæ ÑÇ ÈÇØá ãì ßäÏ¿

Does hair gel make wudhu void?

Answer:

æÇÑ ÇÒ ÑÓíÏä ÂÈ Èå ãæ íÇ æÓÊ ÓÑ ÌáæíÑì äãì ßäÏ æÖæ æÛÓá ÕÍíÍ ÇÓÊ Çä ÔÇÁÇááå ÊÚÇáì

If it does not stop water from reaching the hair and the skin of the head, wudhu and ghusl is valid, inshAllah (swt)

http://www.shirazi.ir/estefta/s-shirazi/taharat/letter1.htm

Question:

Does hair gel make wudhu void?

Answer:

If it does not stop water from reaching the hair and the skin of the head, wudhu and ghusl is valid, inshAllah (swt)

ummm....

Hair gel, oil and such other items make wuzu void because they cover human hair and skin and water can not reach them..

BUT question becomes interesting when yu combine both parts of my question... messaging oil in hair is prophet's sunnat and with hair on head you can not do wuzu... isn't it confusing

Our prophet used to do a lot of salaat, not even a single salaat missed. so when did he use to put oil in hair?

Salaam

The following was the answer given to me by Maulana Sadiq Hassan,

"If you think that oil is blocking water from reaching skin, then you have to remove oil from the portion where you do Masah, the same goes with petroleum jelly".

This matter is of "urf".

In Pakistan, people rub petroleum jelly on their skin during winter times, but usually it gets blend inside the skin, and if you wear shirt etc then the sleeves will vipe off a little more. In that case, Maulana Sadiq Hassan does not see a problem. But if one feels that there is too much petroleum jelly on the skin and it will surely block the water, then jelly has to be removed before wudu. In my opinion, and Ma. Sadiq Hassan concured, a reasonable amount of regular hair oil does not block water.

I take care more about point pen ink, which is actually more non-pourus kind of material. Other materials which make me nervous are grease, hair gel etc

ummm....

Hair gel, oil and such other items make wuzu void because they cover human hair and skin and water can not reach them..

BUT question becomes interesting when yu combine both parts of my question... messaging oil in hair is prophet's sunnat and with hair on head you can not do wuzu... isn't it confusing

Our prophet used to do a lot of salaat, not even a single salaat missed. so when did he use to put oil in hair?

It does not void unless you are sure.