Twelvers shia are divided to two main sections , the Shias and the Alawis .

The main difference is that the Alawis believe in "Babiyyat" as an extension of Imamat . The "Bab" is a person believed to be a "door" for Imam Mahdi (pbuh) , and have similar role to his four deputes (qas) . The shia believe that the special deputyship ended with the fourth of them .

Among the Alawis , there is a sect who followed Abu Shu'ayb Muhammad bin Nasyr al Numayri and viewed him as a "Bab" , they are called Nusayris .

Majority of shias believe that al Numayri was cursed by the Imam (pbuh) , and had pervert believes . While other Shias and Alawis suppose that the curses were by Taqiyya and/or false hadith by the Abbassids , and the pervert believes were alleged on him .

The Alawis lived in seclusion due to political vexations , which created a suitable environment for the spread of ignorance and the rise of jugglers . Combined with Alawism's second main aspect , which is the spread of sufi tariqas (methods) , devious and corrupt believes like Hulul (incarnation) , Ittihad (mystical union) and Ibahiyyat (regarding everything as permissible) found their ways to the Alawis factions .

Salaam

They believe that Imam Ali (as) is an incarnate of God and they have many strange practices and beliefs so I think it is safe to say they are not muslims. The only real interaction i have had with them is when one Nusayri came to me and asked me if I am shia and told me he was to, but then during Ramadhan he didn't fast and when we went to the mosque he said it was haraam because thats where Imam Ali (as) died.

(salam)

May I just say, that most of what is written here is erroneous.

The Alawites or Nusayris are Arab Shi'ites who live in Syria, Turkey (mostly in the region of Iskandariyya/Iskenderun) and Lebanon.

You need to be careful to mix them up with Alevis, a kafir branch of Sufis located in Turkey. I know some Alawites, they pray and worship just like us, and 95% of their beliefs are in accordance with ours, they practise taqiyyah and do not commemorate 3ashoura', why I don't know. But the people who claim the Alawites to worship Imâm 3ali (as) and hold him as a deity are clearly wrong and do not know enough about the Alawis. The Alawites are just passionate lovers of the Imâm (as) -- who, learn to memorize the Nahjul Balâghah alongside the Qur'ân.

Wassalâm.

salaam

basically nusayris believe that Imam Ali is a human form of Allah.. But dont get fooled!... Imam Ali isnt Allah however he is the one who Allah gave him all the attributes he would have if he was a person... Thats why some people may get mistaken... Imam Ali was made from the same noor as Allah but his an Imam not a God.

(salam)

Please brothers and sisters, keep away from prejudice.

The Alawites do not believe that Imâm 3ali (as) is an incarnation of God or anything, na3oudhu billah.

Instead of stating what you have heard they believe, and it is just rumours trust me, many people have some kind of hatred towards them and try and make their love for Amîr al-Mu'minîn (as) into shirk, just like the Wahhabis do to us! Go and ask the Alawites themselves. Don't be like the Wahhabis judging them and turning their love for Ahlul Bayt (as) into shirk, which it is not.

Wassalâm.

Please brothers and sisters, keep away from prejudice.

The Alawites do not believe that Imâm 3ali is an incarnation of God or anything, na3oudhu billah.

Instead of stating what you have heard they believe, and it is just rumours trust me, many people have some kind of hatred towards them and try and make their love for Amîr al-Mu'minîn into shirk, just like the Wahhabis do to us! Go and ask the Alawites themselves. Don't be like the Wahhabis judging them and turning their love for Ahlul Bayt into shirk, which it is not.

They are mushrikeen beyond any doubt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alawis

Guest Power Of 786
Excuse me the nusayris are not now, nor were they ever, a sect of Shiaism. My understand is that they are not even considered Muslim.

And i also heard that they consider Imam Ali as thier God coz of which they are not considered Muslims.

And Imam Ali has said that 2 kind of poeple will go to hell, one who loves me crazily and the one who hates me crazily. So in that case, hes probably pointing on the ones who love him as thier God godforbid.

Can anyone tell me their basic beliefs? I think my Dad said they respect Ali (as) like Allah (s.w.t.)?

Alawis are definitely not Nusayris. Nusayris believed that Ali(a.s.) is Allah the Creator. Even I am intersted in learning where they are now. I've asked few Alims too but have not got a satisfactory answer yet.

(salam)

The Supreme Islamic Shia Council under Imam Musa al Sadr ruled that the Alawiyi or Nusayri as their sometimes known are indeed from the Twelver Shia's. They are thus recoginsed as Shia Muslims.

Do not believe everything you read on the net. Would anyone here honestly believe that the SISC or a man such as Imam Musa al Sadr would make such a statement and associate themselves with such a people if indeed all these slanderous statements were true?

What would that be saying about the Supreme Islamic Shia Council?

(salam)

My only contact with Nusayri's was after the death of Ayatollah Khomeini when they came to pay their respects. They were received with courtesy and the position of more learned people than me was that one day they, and other lovers of Ali, a.s., would be re-united with the ithna-'ashariyya.

Nusairis ? The group of people which was killed by Imam Ali a.s himself

the one who support the belives of Nusairis is like the one who support the enemies of Imam ALi a.s

I knew an Alawi brother & he told me that Alawis can drink alcohol but not to the point of intoxication. They have a great respect for Christians too, and they have a strong devotion for Mary & Jesus (as). They preform the salaah & respect the Quran but I don't think they regularly attend masjids. My impression of them is that they are Muslims, but they have certain difference with the Ithna-Ashari.

But who are the Alevis? I heard about them before, but does anyone know anything more about them?

Edited by Nazireh7

But who are the Alevis? I heard about them before, but does anyone know anything more about them?

(salam)

The Alevis are those who actually do believe in the divinity of Amir al Mu'minin (as), and that is not just an evil rumour, they admit to it themselves.

They reject the pillars and obligations of Islam, and have their own practises. They do not pray, nor fast, nor do their women wear 7ijab.

So according to the ruling of Islam, they are disbelievers.

As I see, This forum is almost full of misinformation.

One thing, that most people are confusing themselves with is that there are two sects knowns as, Alawi and Alevi. They both sound very much the same however they are different, and exist in different regions.

1. Alevis

=======

They live mostly in Turkey. They dont claim themselves to be Shi'a twelver Muslims, as they are very different. As much different that it becomes hard to accept them muslims. They have imported beliefs from other faiths like sufism did. They do believe in twelve imams and Imam Mahdi's occultation, however its hard to say if they follow their tradition.

Hence it is safe to say that they are a different sect, who have heavily altered the faith (they used the Shi'ite template), and as of now, they are just as different as non-muslims are different from Shi'as.

one example is that it is haram to divorce one's wife in Alevi religion. there is no concept of zakat. there place of worships are called Cem not Masajid. they don't have a modest dress code for women or men.

There beliefs about Imam Ali and Prophet Muhammad are mixed, they don't have a strong foundation to adhere to. Hence some of them may have concept like that of christians' trinity, where they think that Prophet Muhammad and Imam Ali make up one God and that's trinity. Some don't, however they are considered 'Ghullat'.

In other words, they are close to give status of gods to imams, and give status of prophets to their sheikhs.

however, few scholars have counted them in fold of shi'a branch, because of their faith in Allah, Prophet and twelve imams (regardless of how deviated they are now).

2. Alawis or Nusayris

=================

Now these are the real nusayris who are famous of taking Imam Ali as god. They are on a similar pattern like Alevis, who took the Shi'a template and made heavy alterations. In fact they call Imam Ali as the real god, and believe that Imam Ali created Prophet Muhammad and Prophet Muhammad created Salman Farsi and all three of them gods. Nauzubillah. Historically they had no connection to Islam because of their Shirk. However after several centuries have passed, they 've accustomed themselves with some Islamic rituals. And there are some reports that there was a mass conversion of Alawis/Nusayris in Shi'a Twelver. That's one reason Musa al-Sadr counted them as Shi'as. These people resided in Syria. However, it is hard to say that all of these Alawis/nusayris have reverted to Islam or not.

3. The Historical Nusayris

====================

people who have considered Imam Ali as god and have ignored the teachings of Prophet and his vicegerents (from Imam Ali to Imam al-Mahdi) are those who are abhorred by AhlulBait and are considered as enemies of Allah. It is advisable to all Shi'as not to mention them in a merit as we've notice it a habit of poets to mention Nusayris as some meritorious beings.

Hate Nusayris (Mushrikeen and enemies of Prophet of Allah), and stay away from their haraam acts. This is what Tabarra is. And this is what Amar bil Maruf and nahi al munkar is about.

Salaam

They believe that Imam Ali (as) is an incarnate of God and they have many strange practices and beliefs so I think it is safe to say they are not muslims. The only real interaction i have had with them is when one Nusayri came to me and asked me if I am shia and told me he was to, but then during Ramadhan he didn't fast and when we went to the mosque he said it was haraam because thats where Imam Ali (as) died.

Anybody who believes in a God "incarnate" has apostated from the religion of Islam. This is not true, Alawites do not believe that Ali (as) is Allah nor do they believe that Allah (AWJ) is incaranate in any other being. This falls way outside of the Islamic concept of Tauheed & cannot be believed at all. Alawites hold firm to the religion of Allah (SWT) & his Messnger (PBUH&F) & his Family (PBUT).

I know many people from all the schools in Islam & believe me brother if you heard what some of them say you would fall off your chair. Do not take what the people of ignorance have to say, look to their scholars & imams before you judge them.

Wa Salam

And i also heard that they consider Imam Ali as thier God coz of which they are not considered Muslims.

And Imam Ali has said that 2 kind of poeple will go to hell, one who loves me crazily and the one who hates me crazily. So in that case, hes probably pointing on the ones who love him as thier God godforbid.

And the Wahhabi/Salafi sects of our brothers believe that the Shia are all Innovators & apostators is that also true? Is it true that all Shia are kuffar?

Brothers & Sisters please do not fall for their lies. The enemies of Ahl al Bayt (as) will slander them in anyway possible. Stand united against falsehood & follow the truth.

I knew an Alawi brother & he told me that Alawis can drink alcohol but not to the point of intoxication. They have a great respect for Christians too, and they have a strong devotion for Mary & Jesus (as). They preform the salaah & respect the Quran but I don't think they regularly attend masjids. My impression of them is that they are Muslims, but they have certain difference with the Ithna-Ashari.

I am a Alawy brother & i am telling you that drinking is Haram. There is no question about it. There are three verses relating to alcohol in the Quran; At first, it was forbidden for Muslims to attend to prayers while intoxicated (4:43). Then a later verse was revealed which said that alcohol contains some good and some evil, but the evil is greater than the good (2:219). This was the next step in turning people away from consumption of it. Finally, "intoxicants and games of chance" were called "abominations of Satan's handiwork," intended to turn people away from God and forget about prayer, and Muslims were ordered to abstain (5:90-91)

There is no doubt in the Quran & it's explicit condemnation of Alcohol. Any body who drinks & calls himself a muslim is of the "ignorant" ones.

As for respect for christians yes that is true. Alawites respect all of Allah's creations no matter who they are or what they believe. We follow the example of our Prohet (PBUH&F) & our Imams (as) on this issue. Remember our Imam (as) taught us in his letter to Malik Al-Ashtar, "O Malik develop in your heart the feeling of love for your people and let it be the source of kindliness and blessing to them. Do not behave with them like a barbarian, and do not appropriate to yourself that which belongs to them. Remember that the citizens of the state are of two categories. They are either your brethren in religion or your brethren in mankind."

Issa (as) & Mariam (as) are indeed worthy of all muslims honour & devoution. As are all of our Prophets & Messengers (as) and those who Allah has given a high status too. However the highest honour & blessings should go to Muhammad (PBUH&F) & Ahl Muhammad (as). For they are the ultimate guidance unto mankind. Muhammad (PBUH&F) is the seal of the Prophets & Ali (as) is the seal of the wassiya (Successors).

I am a Alawy brother & i am telling you that drinking is Haram. There is no question about it. There are three verses relating to alcohol in the Quran; At first, it was forbidden for Muslims to attend to prayers while intoxicated (4:43). Then a later verse was revealed which said that alcohol contains some good and some evil, but the evil is greater than the good (2:219). This was the next step in turning people away from consumption of it. Finally, "intoxicants and games of chance" were called "abominations of Satan's handiwork," intended to turn people away from God and forget about prayer, and Muslims were ordered to abstain (5:90-91)

There is no doubt in the Quran & it's explicit condemnation of Alcohol. Any body who drinks & calls himself a muslim is of the "ignorant" ones.

As for respect for christians yes that is true. Alawites respect all of Allah's creations no matter who they are or what they believe. We follow the example of our Prohet (PBUH&F) & our Imams (as) on this issue. Remember our Imam (as) taught us in his letter to Malik Al-Ashtar, "O Malik develop in your heart the feeling of love for your people and let it be the source of kindliness and blessing to them. Do not behave with them like a barbarian, and do not appropriate to yourself that which belongs to them. Remember that the citizens of the state are of two categories. They are either your brethren in religion or your brethren in mankind."

Issa (as) & Mariam (as) are indeed worthy of all muslims honour & devoution. As are all of our Prophets & Messengers (as) and those who Allah has given a high status too. However the highest honour & blessings should go to Muhammad (PBUH&F) & Ahl Muhammad (as). For they are the ultimate guidance unto mankind. Muhammad (PBUH&F) is the seal of the Prophets & Ali (as) is the seal of the wassiya (Successors).

Good that you alawis take alcohol an intoxicant and ulawful.

Talking about what Imam Ali âs¸ told Malik Ashtar. Please refer to Bashr Al Assad in todays world in syria, almost one year after your post. Many lessons could be learned from it and many arguments could be set forward. His atrocities and injustice is better unexplained. He is an Alawi for your information, to whom people pray, and after they worship Bashar they worship Allah. So called "Muslim" sector.

You said

"However the highest honour & blessings should go to Muhammad (PBUH&F) & Ahl Muhammad (as). For they are the ultimate guidance unto mankind. Muhammad (PBUH&F) is the seal of the Prophets & Ali (as) is the seal of the wassiya (Successors)."

And in your signature you've written

"I pray that when Imam al Mehdi (A.S) returns i am here to witness the Truth and see the torment on the faces of the non-believers and enemy's of Ahlul Bayt, there's is the fire.

Please be careful of your words, OR, Dont jump into debates of pages thinking you're a well of scholar. Learn to be cautious of your words brother, and seek guidance.

emember Imam Ali [as] also said Detraction and Exaggeration are both dangerous. Seek guidance my friend.s