Abbas.

Phone Scam

Subject: Phone Scam - Pass it on to your mates

I got a call last night from an individual identifying himself as an AT&T Service technician who was conducting a test on our telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine(9),zero ( 0), hash (#) and then hang up.

Luckily, I was suspicious and refused. Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#, you give the requesting individual full access to your telephone line, which allows them to place long distance telephone calls billed to your home phone number. I was further informed that this scam has been originating from many of the local gaols/prisons.

DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE. PLEASE pass this on to your friends. If you have mailing lists and/or newsletters from organisations you are connected with, I encourage you to pass this on.

Stephen Cooper

Detective Senior Constable 29748

Victoria Police State Crime Squads

Level 12, 412 St. Kilda Road , Melbourne

(03) 9865 2663 or 0414644499

stephen.cooper@police.vic.gov.au <

mailto:stephen.cooper@police.vic.gov.au >

Another phone scam is the One Ring call. They hang up after only one ring and you have a 'missed call' on your phone. If you call back, the person says something like "This is the operator, please hold" and while you are waiting you will be charged an “international call fee” for accessing that phone number in another country and then charged the standard rate for that country for every minute you are waiting. Don't call. If you do make a mistake and call the scammer back, then hang up right away and call your service provider. You might be able to convince them to reverse the “international call fee” that was added to your phone billing.