- - - - -

Qatif...

5 replies to this topic

#1 nayefo

nayefo
  • Basic Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:34 PM

Can anyone fill us in about the current suffering the people of Qatif have faced in the past and what they face today? Turns out wikipedia doesn't have everything after all...

#2 Ibn al-Hussain

Ibn al-Hussain

[-Talib e Ilm-]

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,575 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:55 PM

I don't know about the sufferings, but it was a pretty nice place to be. They have a huge masjid there where adhan is given on loud speakers and namaz is lead complete Shia way and you are surrounded by majority all Shias. As far as I know they have even taken out Muharram processions and have done matam in public.

#3 nayefo

nayefo
  • Basic Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:23 PM

I don't know about the sufferings, but it was a pretty nice place to be. They have a huge masjid there where adhan is given on loud speakers and namaz is lead complete Shia way and you are surrounded by majority all Shias. As far as I know they have even taken out Muharram processions and have done matam in public.

I'm not saying that Qatifis can't worship freely but they have human-right issues with the government and prejudice and I like to know details about that if possible. In Muharram of 1980 there was the infamous "Intifadat Muharram " incident but I don't have much knowledge about it, only from people who lived that things but they don't give sufficient detail. And of course searching the net online in Arabia is as much torture as getting your ears pulled, so to speak.

#4 nayefo

nayefo
  • Basic Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:33 PM

I'm not saying that Qatifis can't worship freely but they have human-right issues with the government and prejudice and I like to know details about that if possible. In Muharram of 1980 there was the infamous "Intifadat Muharram " incident but I don't have much knowledge about it, only from people who lived that things but they don't give sufficient detail. And of course searching the net online in Arabia is as much torture as getting your ears pulled, so to speak.

Anyone willing to help at all? :unsure:

#5 Ibn al-Hussain

Ibn al-Hussain

[-Talib e Ilm-]

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,575 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:38 AM

Well I don't know about the Intifadat Muharram, I was only saying what I saw, late 90s. I don't think you'll get many replies regarding Qatif on this forum, not many people have been there or are from Saudi Arabia on this forum to say anything from experience.

I found this:

The Qatif region is the largest center of Shia Islam in Saudi Arabia. Although forbidden by Saudi government law, the community celebrates Ashura and other Shia days of remembrance in open, lively seasons. Consequently, the community has lived in somewhat precarious relations with the Sunni government, and has many times suffered from discrimination

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatif

Members of the Shia minority are the subjects of officially sanctioned political and economic discrimination. The authorities permit the celebration of the Shia holiday of Ashura in the eastern province city of Qatif, provided that the celebrants do not undertake large, public marches or engage in self-flagellation (a traditional Shia practice). The celebrations are monitored by the police. In 2002 observance of Ashura took place without incident in Qatif. No other Ashura celebrations are permitted in the country, and many Shia travel to Qatif or to Bahrain to participate in Ashura celebrations. The Government continued to enforce other restrictions on the Shia community, such as banning Shia books.

Shia have declined government offers to build state-supported mosques because they fear the Government would prohibit the incorporation and display of Shia motifs in any such mosques. The Government seldom permits private construction of Shia mosques. In March 2001, religious police reportedly closed a Shia mosque in Hofuf because it had been built without government permission.

Members of the Shia minority are discriminated against in government employment, especially with respect to positions that relate to national security, such as in the military or in the Ministry of the Interior. The Government restricts employment of Shia in the oil and petrochemical industries. The Government also discriminates against Shia in higher education through unofficial restrictions on the number of Shia admitted to universities.

Legal sources report that testimony by Shia is often ignored in courts of law or is deemed to have less weight than testimony by Sunnis. For example, in May 2001, a judge in the eastern province ruled that the testimony of two Shi'a witnesses to an automobile accident was inadmissible.

http://en.wikipedia....in_Saudi_Arabia

This kind of discrimination is held through out the country where the Saudi Shias are. There are a lot of Shias in Medina as well. The biggest problem is probably the jobs, they don't always get good jobs.

Edited by Ali_Imran, 30 July 2007 - 02:51 AM.

#6 nayefo

nayefo
  • Basic Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:37 AM

Thanks for the info mate, but I was trying to look for specific clashes like "Intifadat Muharram", you see one of my uncles died in it so the familty doesn't particularly savor on the mention of it.
I already know the rest of the info that you gave me, especially about jobs and what not. I know 5 people from my same high school graduating class who rejected by SABIC even though they were all on the Top 10 of Saudi students when it came to the 12th grade percentage. Although other students from Qatif were accepted, they were forced to pick majors they weren't fit for. A friend of mine was pressured into choosing SABIC even though he wanted Chemical Engineering and they gave him Accounting =S He chose SABIC because he was "afraid" that Aramco wouldn't accept him, but they accepted everybody! They would've gladly given him Chemical Engineering for God's sake!

Edited by nayefo, 30 July 2007 - 07:38 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users