Jihaad

Any Shia Center In Buffalo, Ny?

(salam) ,

I am wondering if there is a Shia masjid or imambargah in the vicinity of Buffalo, NY, or at the very least a Shia community that gets together there every so often for the major events. If you have any information on this please fill me in, jazaak Allah khair.

(salam) ,

I am wondering if there is a Shia masjid or imambargah in the vicinity of Buffalo, NY, or at the very least a Shia community that gets together there every so often for the major events. If you have any information on this please fill me in, jazaak Allah khair.

There is, in Medina (414 West Ave). Yes, Medina is actually the name of the village :-)

There used to be a full time howza there (I attended for a while.). Folks still meet at the center however. Shaykh Ali Rasheed is the `alim there.

There is, in Medina (414 West Ave). Yes, Medina is actually the name of the village :-)

There used to be a full time howza there (I attended for a while.). Folks still meet at the center however. Shaykh Ali Rasheed is the `alim there.

(salam)

Thank you for the reply brother. How far exactly is Medina from downtown Buffalo by car? And does the Islamic center have a name or any website I can visit? Is there a listserv I can be put on for the programs being held there?

(salam)

Thank you for the reply brother. How far exactly is Medina from downtown Buffalo by car? And does the Islamic center have a name or any website I can visit? Is there a listserv I can be put on for the programs being held there?

about an hour or so.

send me an email, macisaac @ andrew.cmu.edu and in sha Allah I'll get you the info. Looks like they're planning a program for this Saturday.

Medina... Howza Wal Illmiyah is basically a ghost town now. The Shia communities have now moved to Buffalo and during Muharram the center in Medina is locked and programs are done at SUNY Buffalo campus. The last I heard they are in the process of constructing a new center in Buffalo.

Pick up the white pages and lookup Sadat names and start calling. That's what I've done before.

Wa Salam,

Dhulfiqar

Medina... Howza Wal Illmiyah is basically a ghost town now. The Shia communities have now moved to Buffalo and during Muharram the center in Medina is locked and programs are done at SUNY Buffalo campus. The last I heard they are in the process of constructing a new center in Buffalo.

Pick up the white pages and lookup Sadat names and start calling. That's what I've done before.

Wa Salam,

Dhulfiqar

Salam,

Excuse me brother but if you don't mind my asking, what exactly is a 'Sadat' name?

Thank you.

Salam,

Excuse me brother but if you don't mind my asking, what exactly is a 'Sadat' name?

Thank you.

all names ending with Naqvi, Rizvi, Zaidi, Kazmi etc..Most of them are either Pakistani or Indian Shias..

Disclaimer: Even some Sunnis keep this name..

Edited by Abbas_Zaidi

Wa Salam,

Dhulfiqar

The Howza's been closed for a while, I know that. I've heard about (plans for?) a new center in Buffalo, but I'm not sure how far along that is. But I did get an email for a program in Medina itself for this Saturday.

Edited by macisaac

The Howza's been closed for a while, I know that. I've heard about (plans for?) a new center in Buffalo, but I'm not sure how far along that is. But I did get an email for a program in Medina itself for this Saturday.

I was a bit disappointed to hear the center in medina being closed for Muharram with a message directing people to go SUNY Buffalo.

Brother Abbas's definition of Sadat is exactly what I meant.

Wa Salaam,

Dhulfiqar

Salam,

I'm from the Buffalo area if you ever want to get in touch with me. It seems I'm not able to message you, but the brothers around here often get together, so if you'd like to join us, please message me for my email or phone number.

Edited by Asad Ali

Salam,

I'm from the Buffalo area if you ever want to get in touch with me. It seems I'm not able to message you, but the brothers around here often get together, so if you'd like to join us, please message me for my email or phone number.

ASAK Brother Asad

I am in Buffalo and have been here for a while now.As for the Medina Immambargah, i was there during previous Muharram. Few people attended; 100 at the most.

They have posted this property for sale, although they still carry on with their programms on sunday during the month of Ramazan.

They are in the process of acquiring land on Transit for the masjid and Immambargah. Hopefully they will succeed this time.

Wasalam

ASAK Brother Asad

I am in Buffalo and have been here for a while now.As for the Medina Immambargah, i was there during previous Muharram. Few people attended; 100 at the most.

They have posted this property for sale, although they still carry on with their programms on sunday during the month of Ramazan.

They are in the process of acquiring land on Transit for the masjid and Immambargah. Hopefully they will succeed this time.

Wasalam

Can you tell me about the property? How large is it... etc. It would be a shame to sell a Masjid.

Wa Salaam,

Dhulfiqar

Can you tell me about the property? How large is it... etc. It would be a shame to sell a Masjid.

Wa Salaam,

Dhulfiqar

The center in Medina wasn't a masjid, it was a converted Masonic temple (and governor's mansion (I think)).

Wa Salaam,

Dhulfiqar

Salaam Dhulfiqar,

It is a piece of land on Transit road. It has been cleared by the civil engineering department for construction. They are having hard time raising the money, that is why the property at Medina has been put up for sale. The problem is that nobody is interested in buying it as it is located in economically dead location.

Earlier they were planning to build a masjid on Millerspot, but the land turned out to be wet after inspection. They have bought 2 condo's on ?Sweethome drive for temporary purposes but the renovation costs are huge so they decided against. Hopefully they are successful this time.

Wasalam.

Salam,

Oh well, I hope to see you at the Eid program this weekend! It will begin at 10am, insha'Allah, and on Friday or Saturday. If you need any info, contact me at lionrizvi at gmail.com.

In sha Allah, actually I'm planning on coming down this weekend with the family myself. Is it going to be held in Medina or Buffalo? Is Shaykh `Ali leading the prayers?

(salam) ,

Salaam Alaikum,

Even this post is old I felt it would be good to update everyone. The shia community in Medina has relocated to Buffalo (Amherst specifically).

The community is still very active and hold programs on a weekly basis. They have recently posted in their events section on their website their upcoming programs for Muharram this year. You can find out more about their upcoming programs including times and locations by visiting their website at www.jaffarya.org

The community is also in the progress of building a new center. They are currently using a temporarily location while the new center is constructed. Construction has already begun on the new center and is approximately 50% completed.

Please visit their website for more information.

wa `alaykum as-salaam,

What have they done with the building in Medina?

The building in Medina is still owned by the Jaffarya Center currently and used periodically but it has been put on sale. The proceeds of the sale will go towards the new center.

Please, can someone tell me

where the new center is..or if there is one there right now??

i need to know ASAP

The temporary center is located at 586 North French Rd, Suite 1, Amherst, NY 14228. If you need something immediately you can call (716) 200-4326. If you want to know about upcoming programs visit their website at www.jaffarya.org for a list of events they have coming up.