Sign in to follow this  
teenager

1. Contradictions Within The Bible?

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

Dear Son of Placid,

Thank you for trying to provoke a negative response from me, it is well-appreciated, however futile. I intend to teach according to my ability, I intend "Maimonides" to teach according to his ability, and I intend you teach according to your ability. Above all, however, we should all learn more than teach; to stumble a rock into a pond; to end our own placidity. Let us disturb, no, impose it upon ourselves to be progressive in learning in all situations. Eager willingness to learn with few other factors equals promoting knowledge; bias with few other factors equals obstructing knowledge.

My intention, to amass appreciation and knowledge through breaking down the obstacles I find, is same in meaning to my last clause. These obstacles I refer to mean purely difficulties, bias being among them. I am trying my best to put myself in a Christian's place, reading historical criticism of what I contend to be the Word of God, and seeking answers to those questions. If you, or anyone, instead of helping me, aims to hamper, then so be it. If I am wrong and you do intend goodwill on pursuit of understanding, then be certain to state so clearly.

Awww man...Don't go off teaching Maimonides this is a lesson in teenage learning futility.

You suck at promoting knowledge/wisdom.

(salam)

Dr Seuss is a pet peeve of mine. As bad as Dr Spock for taking the reality out of a child's life. Never expected to see the name here in threads, but it's okay if you've never experienced green eggs n ham.

Teenager, You have a very smooth keyboard, and many words flow off it. As peaceful as the surface is, I notice you spend much time defending yourself.

Bringing up the old Contradiction threads are not usually popular anyway, but people do watch the undertones of the text.

Please continue.

(bismillah)

Dear Son of Placid,

Thank you for your compliments and post. I do not dispute that accusations against me do take focus away from the topic at hand, but I consider it better that I clarify lest some may believe the lies that I am diabolical on intending the Bible "false" or making more of the issue than mere questioning. If by "undertones" you mean to say my words are implying something besides the obvious, there may be no compelling need to guess what these are; simply ask me and I will set certain what "undertones" I intend and what "undertones" are as a result of error.

However, I do take your point that I may have to anticipate accusations, in light of the questions I am investigating. To speak of the topic, what is your opinion/research on the issue raised?

Dr Seuss is a pet peeve of mine. As bad as Dr Spock for taking the reality out of a child's life. Never expected to see the name here in threads, but it's okay if you've never experienced green eggs n ham.

Teenager, You have a very smooth keyboard, and many words flow off it. As peaceful as the surface is, I notice you spend much time defending yourself.

Bringing up the old Contradiction threads are not usually popular anyway, but people do watch the undertones of the text.

Please continue.

(salam)

My opinion doesn't go as deep, nor does it carry near as much background scripture. Actually, the majority of scriptures pertaining to the many topics have already been covered. I could have saved myself a whole bunch of time by saving them for future copy/paste, but didn't.

As I've explained before, I had the privilege of observing Lent with a coworker. Not much of a prayer room ,it was actually the cab of a given locomotive. In those days we worked in pairs, so this little fellow with a big name became my mate. He was Muslim, and spoke French. Little French here, but we managed to communicate our beliefs back and forth, and we quickly came to realize we worshipped the same God. There is no doubt in my heart, nor his, even as we worshipped. This little man with the big name...Abdurrachman...(spelling, I dunno) became my biggest influence into knowing Islam was not another religious scam. It was real, God was there with us both in those cabs during those days.

As far as contradictions...One in the Quran that hasn't been mentioned in a while is about inheritance percentages, if I remember correctly. No biggie. There is a site with 101 Quranic contradictions, but it's as twisted as the 101 bible contradictions. I don't think anybody reads them all. They could mix up the last 50 or so, and nobody's notice.

In the beginning....nobody wrote, nobody read, and they were lucky to have a basic language in Genesis.

Hieroglyphics was a creative way to convey ones message in other parts. Much like emoticons nowadays, but they wouldn't have had any good meaning back then, as the background technology was amiss.

The Bible was written by many authors, it was stories memorized until someone could write it down. It was rewritten to preserve it as the parchment, or whatever started to deteriorate. While rewritten in different eras words were changed to convey the latest understanding of the language. It was all with good intentions, and with the guidance of God, but when words don't match from book to book, or same words have taken on different meaning, (as time goes on) there are going to be places where the bible just doesn't seem to be totally uniform.

The New Testament was basically brought about the same way, and so was the Quran...meaning many years of memorized stories until it could be written down. As authentic as everyone wants to say their own interpretation of their favored version of their favorite book is...it's all been touched by human hands, and therefore cannot be totally perfect.

Since that time, many people have studied and proclaimed to have revealed deeper truths, and have then written books, and finding enough people to agree that they become prominent, with or without God's total truth. Fact of the matter, once again, each opinion is human and therefore cannot be perfect, nor complete. Not wanting to offend, but I see Hadiths as little stories meant to confound Muslims, and it works.

I see it this way.

Maimonides has certainly done his studies, and is the most knowledgeable man of Judaism I have had the privilege of learning from. He has most certainly worshipped God in his proper way, and in my opinion will be rewarded for his dedication and faithfulness when he reaches Heaven.

Christians and Muslims will have the same rewards as they follow the guidance God gave them, much the same as God revealed Himself to the Native people of this land many years before us.

God never changes. Times do, people do, technology does, and thus starts the vicious circle again.

God is very personal, he does not cover all people with one blanket, but speaks to each heart in the intelect they can comprehend, in their culture, in their circumstance, etc. This is why God's lessons are not the same for you and I, but we all learn to move in the same direction...closer to God.

In a nutshell,

God is not as much in the written word as He is in the hearts of those who read to earnestly seek Him out.

Whoa, muchus bedtime here.

May the peace that passes all understanding find it's way to our hearts, and may God be Praised.

On 3/27/2007 at 0:33 AM, Maimonides said:

This gets re-posted verbatim on shiachat every few months or so by some new enterprising fellow who has found the exact same web site as the previous teenager, and wants to present it as if it were his own thoughts.

Salam Maimonides,

Yay I found you!!! :) (Don't know if you still come once in awhile to Shiachat, just to read?)

I love the word fellow... my Dad says that word a lot. :)

Let me repeat the warning that anyone who takes a verse of Tanakh out of its context -- that of the surrounding chapter, the book as a whole, the written Torah as a whole, and the written and oral Torah together -- risks doing himself tremendous spiritual damage.

I wish he would come back and elaborate on this: what "tremendous spiritual damage" is he or she risking?When he says "oral Torah" - does he mean the Talmud? Does he believe that Karaite Jews are risking "tremendous spiritual damage" by not believing in the Talmud?

Do Karaites accept the Oral Law/ Talmud?

No.

http://www.karaite-korner.org/karaite_faq.shtml
I

n this case, the supposed "contradiction" is not even a contradiction, just a play on words. The question asks, "How many people did the Prophet David's Chief of Captains kill?" This is like asking, "How many years did the President serve?" Well, which President? George Washington or Abraham Lincoln or FDR or Gerald Ford?

2 Samuel 23:8 refers to "Yoshev Bashevet the Tachmoni," aka "Adino the Etznite," who killed 800 in battle. 1 Chron. 11:11 refers to "Yashavam, son of a Hachmoni." Obviously these are not talking about the same person; indeed, the fact that the first verse talks about the Tachmoni and the second verse talks about the son of a Hachmoni suggests we are talking about father and son, and Rashi confirms that this is so: Yoshev Bashevet the Tachmoni is the father, and Yashavam son of a Hachmoni is the son. (The difference between "Tachmoni" and "Hachmoni" is probably either a dialect difference between northern & southern Israel, or possibly a change in pronunciation over the years between when the Book of Samuel was written and when Ezra wrote the Book of Chronicles.)

Interesting explanations :)

Funny. I have more questions on Maimonides's personal beliefs and how he views beliefs of other Jewish people (the Karaites for example) than questions about his explanations on alleged contradictions in the Tanakh.

Peace and God bless

On 4/28/2017 at 0:50 AM, Christianlady said:

I wish he would come back and elaborate on this: what "tremendous spiritual damage" is he or she risking?When he says "oral Torah" - does he mean the Talmud? Does he believe that Karaite Jews are risking "tremendous spiritual damage" by not believing in the Talmud?

Funny. I have more questions on Maimonides's personal beliefs and how he views beliefs of other Jewish people (the Karaites for example) than questions about his explanations on alleged contradictions in the Tanakh.

Peace and God bless

I wish he would come back too. He was here for about two years, must be ten years ago.

Maimonides and I took on the 101 contradictions way back then. He said he would do the OT if I did the NT. After a week of posting he messaged me, asking if I read his posts. I said of course, I want to learn too. He said, "If you are reading, then you are the only one." "Some prefer the contradictions". That's when he quit.

On 5/1/2017 at 9:27 AM, Son of Placid said:

I wish he would come back too. He was here for about two years, must be ten years ago.

Salam Son of Placid,

I don't remember him, but thanks for mentioning him.

Maimonides and I took on the 101 contradictions way back then. He said he would do the OT if I did the NT. After a week of posting he messaged me, asking if I read his posts. I said of course, I want to learn too. He said, "If you are reading, then you are the only one." "Some prefer the contradictions". That's when he quit.

Ah, that's sad. :(

Actually, there are people who read but don't comment. I read some Muslim threads but I don't comment on all of them. There's not enough time to comment or question on each thread I read.

Peace and God bless you.

1 hour ago, Christianlady said:

Salam Son of Placid,

I don't remember him, but thanks for mentioning him.

Ah, that's sad. :(

Actually, there are people who read but don't comment. I read some Muslim threads but I don't comment on all of them. There's not enough time to comment or question on each thread I read.

Peace and God bless you.

Every time someone views a thread it is recorded, This thread has over 1000 views as you can see in the index. Not sure how many views he was getting for his work, but not enough to encourage him. 

3 minutes ago, Son of Placid said:

Every time someone views a thread it is recorded, This thread has over 1000 views as you can see in the index. Not sure how many views he was getting for his work, but not enough to encourage him. 

Salam Son of Placid,

Well, the good thing is that because of your mentioning him, now more people can read his work. :)

While I don't personally agree with everything he wrote, I do think his point of view is interesting, thought-provoking, and educational.

Peace and God bless you