8 replies to this topic

#1 Redrum

Redrum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:37 AM

salaam

I'm trying to do a little research on the differences in the pronounciation of shahada between the shias and the sunnis - the background of the addition of the phrase about 'Ali (as), the phrase 'haya ala khayril amal' (proofs that it has been censored by Uthman) and lack of 'prayer is better than sleep' (proofs that it has been added by Uthman), the first time shia shahada has been recorded (as many claim that it was only introduced by the Safavids in Iran), etc.
Please post any relevant info - websites, articles, ahadith, opinions of scholars, past discussions on shiachat or anything else that you may have.

#2 SpIzo

SpIzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,419 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:29 AM

salaam

I'm trying to do a little research on the differences in the pronounciation of shahada between the shias and the sunnis - the background of the addition of the phrase about 'Ali (as), the phrase 'haya ala khayril amal' (proofs that it has been censored by Uthman) and lack of 'prayer is better than sleep' (proofs that it has been added by Uthman), the first time shia shahada has been recorded (as many claim that it was only introduced by the Safavids in Iran), etc.
Please post any relevant info - websites, articles, ahadith, opinions of scholars, past discussions on shiachat or anything else that you may have.

Are you researching the Shi'a Shahadah in Adhan or as in becoming a Mu'min?

Here's a tradition from Imam Sadeq [as] in which he made a Syrian recite the Shahada testifying to the wilayat of the descendents of Prophet Muhammad [s]:

The Syrian who was carefully listening to the detailed accounts given by the Imam [a] said to the Imam [a] at the end of the speech: "Whatever have you said is correct, and now I also have become a Muslim."

The Imam [a] said: "Say I have confessed to the faith. Before you were also Muslim but you followed only the mere and apparent rules and regulations of Islam regarding marriage and inheritance etc. It is now necessary to acquaint yourself with our holy family, as the reward and remuneration of God and the recompense in the other world is obtained only by following us and by accepting our leadership. And until this moment you were deprived of this blessing."

As the Syrian accepted the Imam's [a] speech and instructions he said: "I witness that only God is to be worshipped and Prophet Muhammad [s] is the Prophet sent by God. Verily you are the guardian of the Prophet [s] and his other rightful descendants."[33]

http://al-islam.org/hesham/16.htm

#3 Redrum

Redrum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:42 AM

salaam,

I'm thinking more of reciting the Shahada in Adhan but I am interested in other aspects as well. Your hadith is very interesting, thank you.

#4 Isa Abdullah

Isa Abdullah

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:46 PM

Assalamu Alaikum,

I used to be a part of Ahlus Sunnah wal Jamaah(Sunni) and it is in the Sunni books that Umar ibn al-Khattab(not Uthman) added "Asalatu kayrun mina nawm"(prayer is better than sleep). I think ti is even in Sahih Bukhari, but Im not certain.
But it's true.

#5 Redrum

Redrum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:50 AM

Yes it's true but it's not in Bukhari or Muslim, it's in Muwatta Imam Malik.

The biggest problem I face in my research is the origin of the addition of the kalima about Wilayat of Imam Ali (as) - we usually hear that this started being added as a reaction to the cursing of Imam Ali by the Umayyads, however I cannot find any references of this kalima being pronounced so early, all the books I have seen so far claim that the first occurence of this practice was under the Safavids of Iran.

#6 SpIzo

SpIzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,419 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:50 PM

^Maybe you will find this helpful:

http://www.shiachat....h...916262&st=0

#7 BaajiBehen

BaajiBehen

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:50 PM

Are you researching the Shi'a Shahadah in Adhan or as in becoming a Mu'min?

Here's a tradition from Imam Sadeq [as] in which he made a Syrian recite the Shahada testifying to the wilayat of the descendents of Prophet Muhammad [s]:

The Syrian who was carefully listening to the detailed accounts given by the Imam [a] said to the Imam [a] at the end of the speech: "Whatever have you said is correct, and now I also have become a Muslim."

The Imam [a] said: "Say I have confessed to the faith. Before you were also Muslim but you followed only the mere and apparent rules and regulations of Islam regarding marriage and inheritance etc. It is now necessary to acquaint yourself with our holy family, as the reward and remuneration of God and the recompense in the other world is obtained only by following us and by accepting our leadership. And until this moment you were deprived of this blessing."

As the Syrian accepted the Imam's [a] speech and instructions he said: "I witness that only God is to be worshipped and Prophet Muhammad [s] is the Prophet sent by God. Verily you are the guardian of the Prophet [s] and his other rightful descendants."[33]

http://al-islam.org/hesham/16.htm

Thanks for sharing

#8 Jondab_Azdi

Jondab_Azdi

ÌÚÝÑí

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts
  • Religion:Islam (Imami Shi'a)
  • Interests:ÇáãÞÇæãÉ

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:18 PM

salaam

Phrases about Ali (ie Ash'hadu anna Ali-an Waliyallah . . . ) are not the part of Adhan.

Our Adhan consists of the following 18 sentences:

Allahu Akbar ............................................................................ four times

(Allah is greater than any description)

Ash hadu an la ilaha illal lah .................................................... two times

(I testify that there is no god but Allah)

Ash hadu anna Muhammadan Rasu lul lah/ ............................. two times

(I testify that Muhammad is Allah's Messenger)

Hayya'alas Salah ..................................................................... two times

(Hasten to prayers)

Hayya'alal Falah ...................................................................... two times

(Hasten to deliverance)

Hayya'ala Khayril 'Amal ........................................................... two times

(Hasten to the best act)

Allahu Akbar ............................................................................ two times

(Allah is greater than any description)

La ilaha illal lah ........................................................................ two times

(There is no god but Allah)

(salam)

Edited by Murabit, 21 January 2007 - 05:19 PM.

#9 Jnoub Libnan

Jnoub Libnan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:23 PM

(salam)

There is no shia shahada. There is the shahadatayn for sunnis and shias. When you say it with the witnesses you become a muslim.

Ashhadu an la illaha ilallah wa ashhadu ana muhammadan rasool Allah

This is sufficient to become a muslim. A sunni who becomes a shia doesnt need to say anything, he only changes the beliefs in his heart, one of which is aliyun wali Allah. It is not necessary to say aliyun wali Allah in front of any witnesses.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users