- - -

Photo
- - - - -

The Daughters Of Imam Husayn Ibn Ali (as)

10 replies to this topic

#1 Mahdiyah

Mahdiyah

Mahdiyah Khanam - ãåÏíÉ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts
  • Religion:Islam

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:10 PM

(bismillah)

Salaam Fellow Br/Sr.

The daughters of Imam Husayn ibn Ali (as):
Sayidah Fatimah Sughra, Sayidah Sakinah, Sayidah Ruqayah, Sayidah Khawlah (as) them all.

Pls can someone confirm how many daughters Imam Husayn ibn Ali (as) had and what were their names. Also who their mother was from the five wives in total of Mawla Husayn (as): Hadrah Shahr-Banu, Qudaiyah, Layla, Um-Is'haq and Rabaab (as) .

I know Imam Husayn ibn Ali (as) had atleast four daughters, one named Ruqayah bint Husayn who was fondly called Sakinah (as) as she gave tranquility to the heart of her father, her fortunate mother was Hadrah Rabaab, Sayidah Ruqayah bint Husayn AKA Sakinah became a Shahid at no more than 5 years of age, in the torments of the prison of Yazid (ln).

There was also Khawlah bint Husayn, Fatimah Sughra bint Husayn and Sakinah bint Husayn (an older sister of Ruqayah - 2 different daughters pls do not be confused as one is named Sakinah and one is nicknamed/called Sakinah). Pls can someone confirm who were their mothers?

The sunni call Fatimah Sughra bint Husayn wrongly as Fatimah Kubra bint Husayn and this is incorrect as Fatimah al-Kubra is infact the grand Sayidah Fatimah Zahra bint Muhammad (as) herself.

Edited by Mahdiyah, 06 March 2007 - 07:24 PM.

#2 Al-Afza

Al-Afza

• Banned
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:48 PM

(bismillah)

Salaam fellow Br/Sr.

Pls can someone tell me how many daughters Imam Husayn ibn Ali (as) had and what were their names. Also who their mother was from Hadrah Shahr-Banu, Qudaiyah, Layla, Um-Is'haq and Rabaab (as) .

I know Mawla Husayn (as) had atleast three daughters, one named Ruqayah bint Husayn who was fondly called Sakinah (as) as she gave tranquility to the heart of her father, her fortunate mother was Hadrah Rabaab, Sayidah Ruqayah bint Husayn AKA Sakinah became a Shahid, no more than 5 years of age, in the torments of the prison of Yazid (ln). There was also Fatimah Sughra bint Husayn and Sakinah bint Husayn (an older sister of Ruqayah - 2 different daughters pls do not be confused as one is named Sakinah and one is nicknamed/called Sakinah) also who were their mothers?

Also I have heard the sunni called Sayidah Fatimah Sughra bint Husayn wrongly as Fatimah Kubra bint Husayn and that it is incorrect as Fatimah al-Kubra is infact the grand Sayidah Fatimah bint Muhammad (as) herself. Is this true?

As-Salamu-Alaykum Sister--

I can understand your confusion regarding this subject. It is indeed confusing. So many hadith(narratives) and contradicting historical chronicles from Sunnite sources and a few complicated ones from Shi'ite sources...

One of the things one has to become aware of right off the mark is that the Caliphates of the Umayyads and 'Abbasids' had their own "historians" on their payroll. The Umayyads were not much interested in recording the history of the Ahlul-bayt for obvious reasons, being their worst enemies.

The Umayyads were so-called overt adversaries of the Hashimites while the 'Abbasids' were both overt and covert adversaries of the Hashimites...

In their trying to INVENT fictitious relations between the Ahlul-bayt and their adversaries, the 'Abbasid' historians were notorious for fabricating and doctoring marital alliances.

Imam Husayn had THREE marriages during his lifetime. That much is authenticated. The spouses were former princess Shehrbanu bint Yazdigard III; Bibi Laila; Bibi Rabab. Bibi Rabab was one of the daughters of the Sultan of Sabah, Yemen.

As for Umme Ishaq, her history is confusing. Umme Ishaq('Mother of Ishaq') was the alleged daughter of Talhah bin Uthman[aka 'Ubaydullah'] bin Kariyz al-Taymi. This is the same Talhah who conspired with Aisha and Zubayr and fought against Hazrat Ali at Ghazwah Al-Basra(aka Al-Jamal). She was supposedly married twice before. From her first husband, she had a son named Ishaq. Her second husband was supposedly IMAM HASAN with whom she allegedly had sons named Husayn al-Athram and 'Talhah' and a daughter named Fatima...

This is 'Abbasid' fiction. Umme Ishaq was never wedded to either Imam al-Husayn ibn Ali nor Imam Hasan. The Fatimid Caliphate records which survived (surviving original copies are at the Al-Azhar University of Cairo, Egypt) have differing records than that of the Nizamiyya Library records of Baghdad(onetime capital of the 'Abbasid' Caliphate).

I could not find anything on Bibi Qudaiya...Unless she was the same person as Shehrbanu with 'Qudaiya' being her Islamicized name; Mehrbanu and Shehrbanu were Zartosht(Parsi) names. Medieval Islamic historians have confused personages of the same person. For example, Hazrat Talib ibn Ali was documented by some 'Abbasid' sources as 'Abu Bakr ibn Ali' while some Safavid sources documented his name as 'Muhammad al-Asghar ibn Ali'. When in fact, this was one and the same person.

Imam Husayn had TWO children with Shehrbanu bint Yazdigard III(d. 39 A.H./659 A.D.)--

1-Ali[aka Zayn al-Abidin]
b. 15th Jamadi-ul-Awwal 36 A.H./Tue 11th Nov 656 A.D.
d. 25th Muharram 95 A.H./Sat 25th Oct 713 A.D.

2-Ruqayya[aka 'Fatima al-Kubra']
b. 38 B.H./658 A.D.
d. 10th Safar (?)

with Bibi Laila bint Abi Murrah(?)--

1-Jafar[aka 'Ali Akbar']
b. 11th Shaban 42 A.H./Tue 2nd Dec 662 A.D.
d. 10th Muharram 61 A.H./Tue 12th Oct 680 A.D.

2-Fatima[aka 'as-Sughra']
b. 45 A.H./665 A.D.
d. 5th Rabi-ul-Awwal (?)

with Bibi Rabab--

1-Sakina[aka 'Sukayna']
b. 20th Rajab 56 A.H./Sun 11th Jun 676 A.D.
d. 20th Muharram 61 A.H./Fri 22nd Oct 680 A.D.

2-Ibrahim[aka 'Abdullah'; aka 'Ali Asghar']
b. 24th Rajab 60 A.H./Mon 3rd May 680 A.D.
d. 10th Muharram 61 A.H./Tue 12th Oct 680 A.D.

Some of the 'Abbasid' sources have the sons of Imam Husayn in a different chronological order...

1-'Ali Akbar'

2-'Ali Awsat'[Imam Zayn al-Abidin]

3-'Ali Asghar'

This is a clear error, however, even though not as widely circulated among some Ahl-ul-Sunnah scholars.

As for Imam Hasan, there has been Shia-Sunni contradictions as to the age of his son Hazrat Qasim. One source has him as his youngest son, while another has him as Imam Hasan's eldest son. The 'Abbasid' sources have Imam Hasan having several marriages and divorces!! And a total of 8 sons and 7 daughters..

Many Shia sources from the Safavid Dynasty of Iran hold Imam Hasan had only THREE marriages during his lifetime..

The Fatimid Caliphate sources record that Imam Hasan ibn Ali had only ONE marriage during his lifetime. They further claim THAT spouse was Mehrbanu bint Yazdigard III, the older sister of Shehrbanu; Both Fatimid and Safavid sources recorded that Imam Ali obtained the freedom of BOTH Sassanian princesses[daughters of Yazdigard III] from Umar b. al-Khattab after they were brought back to Taybah[Madinat-ul-Nabih] as prisoners. Fatimid sources recorded that Imam Ali renamed Mehrbanu as 'Farwa' after his late eldest sister. The father of these two Sassanian Persian princesses, Yazdigard III, was the very last ruler of the
Sassanid Dynasty. His chief general Rustam Farrokhzad lost the decisive Battle of Qadisiyyah to Umar ibn al-Khattab's main general of the Persian invasion, Saad ibn Nufayl Abi Waqqas az-Zuhri in 636 A.D.; Yazdigard III kept fleeing from one Persian province to another as he kept losing them one by one. Among all his possessions he kept losing, he also lost 2 of his daughters, Mehrbanu and Shehrbanu, who were taken captive by Saad's commanders. The 2 princesses' half-brother Prince Piruz fled to China where he took refuge. Their father Yazdigard III was eventually slain at Merv in 651 A.D.

However, the Fatimid and Safavid sources both agree on the number of spouses and children of Imam Husayn.

For Imam Hasan, the Fatimid sources have 5 sons and only ONE daughter. The names in chronological order--

Qasim (b. 37 A.H./658 A.D.)
Husayn[aka 'al-Athram'] (b. 38 A.H./659 A.D.)
Ahmad[aka 'at-Tahir'] (b. 41 A.H./661 A.D.)
Fatima (b. 43 A.H./663 A.D.)
Zayd[aka 'at-Tayyib'] (b. 45 A.H./665 A.D.)
Hasanayn[aka 'Hasan al-Muthanna'] (b. 47 A.H./667 A.D.)

The 'Abbasid' sources of which many Safavid Shia authorities have adopted, have among the names of Imam Hasan's offspring as[alphabetical order]--

Abdullah
Abu Bakr
Ahmad
Fatima
Hasan al-Muthanna
Husayn al-Athram
Qasim
Talhah
Zayd

Also, according to 'Abbasid' historical tradition, Jada bint Ashhath, the niece of Abu Bakr Quhafah bin Uthman, was a spouse of Imam Hasan ibn Ali but bore him no children. All Shias and even Ismailis agree that Jada bint Ashhath poisoned Imam Hasan at the behest of Muawiyah bin Abdul Uzza[aka 'Abu Sufyan']. There is little doubt as to Jada being at least a female Sahabi of Imam Hasan and to her poisoning him. However, it is to be noted if Jada was married to Imam Hasan, she was 20 years his senior!

Another source has additional Imam Hasan's spouses and offspring [however no mention at all of Umme Farwa and Hazrat Qasim]--

Umme Basheer bint Abu Masud bin Uqbah al-Khazraji
-Zayd
-Ummul Hasan
-Ummul Husayn

Qaula al-Fazariya[a former Yahudi]
-Hasan al-Muthanna

According to certain of the Fatimid sources, Hazrat Qasim bin al-Hasan (being the eldest son of Imam Hasan) had a daughter named Farwa from his marriage to his paternal first cousin Bibi Ruqayya bint al-Husayn..Just as 4th Imam Ali as-Sajjad wedded Hazat Qasim's sister Fatima. They further record that this Farwa bint Qasim was the wife of 5th Imam Muhammad al-Baqir and not an alleged 'Farwa bint Qasim bin Muhammad bin Abi Bakr' as the 'Abbasid' sources recorded...Of which the Safavid scribes also adopted.

According to these sources Umme Farwa bint Qasim ibn al-Hasan ibn Ali and Imam Muhammad al-Baqir ibn Ali ibn al-Husayn ibn Ali would be the biological parents of the 6th Imam Jafar as-Sadiq. It is to be noted that almost all sources record that Imam Muhammad al-Baqir had TWO wives with the name of 'Umme Farwa'.

The kunyat(agnomen) of Imam Hasan according to ALL sources has always been the same as that of Rasul Muhammad(PBUH)--'Abul Qasim'. A kunyat for a father or mother always includes the birthname of the firstborn son(eg. Abul Hasan for Imam Ali or Ummul Hasan for Bibi Fatima)..This would confirm that Hazrat Qasim was Imam Hasan's eldest son without a doubt.

Again, I cannot emphasize enough how a student of 'authentic' Islamic history has to take some of the time-honoured documents with a grain of salt. There are documents from 'Abbasid' chroniclers that actually state that Imam Hasan had anywhere from 200 to 300 spouses!!! The reason given was because he was a mirror image of Rasul Muhammad(PBUH) so every sahabi in Arabia wanted him for a son-in-law!! And also that Imam Hasan then DIVORCED almost every single one of them!! Also for instance, the 'Abbasid' Caliphate sources have conflicting number of wives for both Rasulallah(PBUH) and Hazrat Ali(A.S.). As for Hazrat Ali, they have anywhere from 8-13 wives and anywhere from 27-36 children. And at least a couple of slavegirls who bore him 12 daughters(God Forbid!). One of the supposed "wives" of Hazrat Ali is the fictitious DAUGHTER[Umama or Amana] of the equally fictitious "Zaynab bint Muhammad"[Rasul's fictitious "eldest" daughter]...This would mean that (God Forbid), Imam Ali married his wife's biological NIECE! If there ever was one...

I hope this is helpful for you Sister..Even though it may all seem complex or complicated.

Edited by Al-Afza, 18 January 2007 - 09:04 AM.

#3 SayedMurtaza

SayedMurtaza

ÇáÓíÏ ãÑÊÖì ÇáÚÇãáí

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:ÝáÞÏ ÃÓÑÝÊõ æãÇ ÃÓáÝÊõ áäÝÓí ãÇ Ýíå ÃÚÐÑ<br /><br />ÓæÏÊõ ÕÍíÝÉ ÃÚãÇáí ææßáÊõ ÇáÃãÑ Åáì ÍíÏÑ

Posted 24 November 2006 - 06:06 PM

there is Sayeda Khawla salam Allah alayha daughter of Imam Hossien salat wasalam

she died and was buried by Imam Zaynul Abideen in Baalbak, Lebanon.

The Imam planted a tree beside where he had buried her, and this same tree is still standing within the maqam.

see here:

http://www.shiachat....showtopic=90887

#4 Al-Afza

Al-Afza

• Banned
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 06:24 PM

there is Sayeda Khawla salam Allah alayha daughter of Imam Hossien salat wasalam
she died and was buried by Imam Zaynul Abideen in Baalbak, Lebanon.

The Imam planted a tree beside where he had buried her, and this same tree is still standing within the maqam.
see here:

http://www.shiachat....showtopic=90887

As-Salamu-Alaikum--

That is interesting because I had read somewhere in a Jafariyya News article that Bibi Khawlah was 6 months old when she passed away and that she had an elder brother named Janab Muhsin ibn al-Husayn who was 2 yrs old, when he too passed away...

Would you know anything more about this?..And who was their mother? I had read that these TWO siblings could be the possible children of Hazrat Husayn al-Athram ibn al-Hasan. He was born in 38 A.H.(659 A.D.), only a year after Hazrat Qasim and was also married.

Could it be that they might be the children of Hazrat Husayn al-Athram? He was one of the Karbala martyrs..

Edited by Al-Afza, 24 November 2006 - 06:26 PM.

#5 SayedMurtaza

SayedMurtaza

ÇáÓíÏ ãÑÊÖì ÇáÚÇãáí

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:ÝáÞÏ ÃÓÑÝÊõ æãÇ ÃÓáÝÊõ áäÝÓí ãÇ Ýíå ÃÚÐÑ<br /><br />ÓæÏÊõ ÕÍíÝÉ ÃÚãÇáí ææßáÊõ ÇáÃãÑ Åáì ÍíÏÑ

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:35 PM

As-Salamu-Alaikum--

That is interesting because I had read somewhere in a Jafariyya News article that Bibi Khawlah was 6 months old when she passed away and that she had an elder brother named Janab Muhsin ibn al-Husayn who was 2 yrs old, when he too passed away...

Would you know anything more about this?..And who was their mother? I had read that these TWO siblings could be the possible children of Hazrat Husayn al-Athram ibn al-Hasan. He was born in 38 A.H.(659 A.D.), only a year after Hazrat Qasim and was also married.

Could it be that they might be the children of Hazrat Husayn al-Athram? He was one of the Karbala martyrs..

salam wa rahmatollah

Posted Image

according to narrations, Sayeda Khawla was around 3 years old, and was martyred on the way to Syria from Karbala.

she passed away when they reached the Baalbak in Lebanon. here is a map that shows how the cursed army of yazid took the women of Bani Hashim:

Posted Image

you can see how they passed through Baalbek before reaching Damascus.

well im not sure about this. i beleive that Imam Hasan's decendany is through his son al Hasan al Mothanna. As i see all the Hasani Sadaat have trees that go back to Hasan al Mothanna ibn al Imam al Hasan salat wasalam alayh.

#6 Al-Afza

Al-Afza

• Banned
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:27 PM

salam wa rahmatollah
Posted Image
according to narrations, Sayeda Khawla was around 3 years old, and was martyred on the way to Syria from Karbala.

she passed away when they reached the Baalbak in Lebanon. here is a map that shows how the cursed army of yazid took the women of Bani Hashim:

Posted Image
you can see how they passed through Baalbek before reaching Damascus.

well im not sure about this. i beleive that Imam Hasan's decendany is through his son al Hasan al Mothanna. As i see all the Hasani Sadaat have trees that go back to Hasan al Mothanna ibn al Imam al Hasan salat wasalam alayh.

Wa-Alaikum-As-Salam--

No doubt Imam Hasan's progeny survived through Hazrat Hasanayn[aka 'Hasan al-Muthanna'] via his FOUR sons Muhammad, Ibrahim, Idris and Sulayman.

Karbala hero-martyr Hazrat Husayn[aka 'al-Athram'] ibn al-Hasan ibn Ali's TWO possible children were 6 months and 2 yrs old when they passed away...So there was no progeny through them.

Also, it is interesting to note that after both uncle and nephew named 'Husayn' were martyred at Karbala, were there anyone of the subsequent (9) NINE Imams to have any sons with the name 'Husayn'? Or was it too tragic and painful a name for the Hashimite-Ahlul Bayt family...?

#7 Mahdiyah

Mahdiyah

Mahdiyah Khanam - ãåÏíÉ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 02:07 PM

wa Alaykum as-Salaam.
Jazaakallah Khayr for your replies all. Sayid Muhsin ibn Husayn (as) was the stillborn son of Mawla Husayn (as) and Hadrah Rabaab. Hadrah Rabaab was expecting Sayid Muhsin before they departed from Madinah al-Munawarah and she carried/hamal him during the entire tragedy of Karbala and severe hardships in Balad Sham, however it was at the point when the Kaafilah of the women of Ahl al-Bayt (as) reached Halab that Hadrah Rabaab gave birth and no sooner was Sayid Muhsin born he passed away. Sayidah Rabaab delivered him at six months of preganancy - unlike the normal nine months. I went to his sacred maqaam in Halab there is has a beautiful pomegranate tree and women visit his maqaam for giving their respects and also in hope for themselves to concieve a child. Hadrah Rabaab had in total three children; Ruqayah bint Husayn also called fondly as Sakinah (shahid in Sham), Abdullah ibn Husayn also called Ali-Asghar (shahid in Karbala), and Muhsin ibn Husayn (as) (stillborn in Halab at 6 months).

What I really am searching for is who was the mother of the older daughters of Imam Husayn named Sakinah, Fatimah Sughra, and Khawlah - was their mother Hadrah Layla or Hadrah Um-Ishaq? As far as I am aware Hadrah Shahr-Banu had only one child which was Imam Ali Sajaad Zayn al-Aabidin ibn Husayn (as) and she passed away when our Imam was ten days old. Thus Imam Sajaad (as) was mainly raised by his aunt Sayidah Zaynab bint Ali (as). Also Hadrah Qudaiyah had only one son who passed away in infancy. However if I am wrong then pls do correct me as I wish to know the truth.

Edited by Mahdiyah, 25 November 2006 - 02:14 PM.

#8 SayedMurtaza

SayedMurtaza

ÇáÓíÏ ãÑÊÖì ÇáÚÇãáí

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 02:12 PM

Thank you for the information Mahdiyah Khanam. i wish i could know who was the mother of Sayeda Khawla salat wasalam alyha

Edited by SayedMurtaza, 25 November 2006 - 02:13 PM.

#9 Mahdiyah

Mahdiyah

Mahdiyah Khanam - ãåÏíÉ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:15 PM

Salaam.

Hadrah Shahr-Banu, Qudaiyah, Um-Layla, Um-Is'haaq and Rabaab were the total five wives of Mawla Husayn ibn Ali (as).

Hadrah Shahr-Banu (the first wife of Imam Husayn ibn Ali) bore only Imam Ali Sajaad Zayn al-Aabidin (as) and she passed away just ten days after his birth. She did not and could not have had any other child as Imam Ali Sajaad (as) was her firstborn. Also Shahr-Banu and Qudaiyah were both Persians but cannot be the same woman, Qudaiyah had one son that died in infancy then she too passed away shorty after childless.

#10 Mahdiyah

Mahdiyah

Mahdiyah Khanam - ãåÏíÉ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:16 PM

The four daughters of Mawla Husayn ibn Ali (as):

1. Sayidah Fatimah Sughra - in Madinah al-Mukarramah. Her mother was Hadrah Um-Layla.
2. Sayidah Ruqayah (called Sakinah by South Asians) - in Dimishq Sham. Her mother was Hadrah Rabaab.
3. Sayidah Sakinah or Sukainah - in Baab as-Saghir Sham. Her mother was Hadrah Um-Ishaaq.
4. Sayidah Khawlah - in Baelbak Sham, present day Lubnan.

(as) on them all.

Pls can someone confirm who was the blessed mother of Sayidah Khawlah bint Husayn (as).

#11 Salman Raheel

Salman Raheel
  • Basic Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Reading books

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:26 AM

Hazrat imam Husain(AS) had five wives...and why daughter of talha cant be wife of imam?? Imam Ali Raza(as) and Imam Mohammad Taqi(as) married daughters of mamun, Prophet Mohammad(SAWW) married daughters of abubakr, umar, abu sufyan...

Umme Ishaq binte talha was wife of Imam Hasan(as)...she had Husain athram, talha and fatima from him..after his martyrdom, she came into nikah of imam husain(as) and had a daughter fatima from him..

Sheikh mufeed wrote in this way:

ALi(Imam Zainul abideen(as)) from hazrat shehr bano

Ali Asghar from Hazrat laila

Fatima from Ume ishaq

Jafar from Qudaiya

Sakina and Abdullah from Hazrat Rubab 

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users