19 replies to this topic

#1 Haji 2003

Haji 2003

Shoekeeper

• Mods
  • 7,005 posts
  • Interests:Apple, Canon, Rohan, Singapore Airlines, LSE

Posted 09 January 2004 - 05:31 AM

I understand that in my parents' youth it was traditional to listen to Hadith e Kisa on Thursday evenings.

Nowadays people seem to be listening to Dua Kumayl.

Anyone know the reasons for this?

For example, when you go on Hajj on Thursday evenings by the Baqi cemetry you will have Dua Kumayl - same also in Mashhad.

Personally I listen to both.

#2 Haji 2003

Haji 2003

Shoekeeper

• Mods
  • 7,005 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 05:38 AM

ive only heard dua kumayl a few times....

I would recommend reading it - together with commentaries on it.

The dua has a lot of insightful material about the nature of different types of sin, redemption and the relationship of man to God.

#3 -{Zainab}-

-{Zainab}-

sanz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 05:41 AM

salamz
i get to read hadith e kisa once a week in the amal but im not regular in dua e kumayl inshallah i will start

#4 Orion

Orion

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 06:42 AM

I understand that in my parents' youth it was traditional to listen to Hadith e Kisa on Thursday evenings.

For example, when you go on Hajj on Thursday evenings by the Baqi cemetry you will have Dua Kumayl - same also in Mashhad.

(bismillah)

(salam)

As you know that these are recommended things. The more you do the better it is. Some read Dua Kumayl, some Hadith e Kisa and some both.

WS

#5 wilayah

wilayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 06:50 PM

(bismillah) (salam)

This is part of a long hadith just translating what is necessary to answer your question.

".....He (Imam Ali (as)) said to Kumail, "What brings you here Kumail?".
Kumail said, "Dua al-Khidr (another name for Dua Kumail).
The Imam said, "Sit down kumail. O Kumail if you learn this dua, supplicate with it EVERY LAYLAT JUMU'A (Thursday evening), or once a month, or once a year, or atleast once in your lifetime......"

Edited by wilayah, 09 January 2004 - 06:51 PM.

#6 faqir

faqir

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 12:31 PM

(bismillah)

bro its another ploy - Kumail was a servant - and they are trying to undermine Hadis-e-kisa !which is about the purified ones ..

whereever you go - more emphasis is on dua kumail ?

Edited by faqir, 10 January 2004 - 12:31 PM.

#7 Haji 2003

Haji 2003

Shoekeeper

• Mods
  • 7,005 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 03:15 PM

faqir

bro its another ploy - Kumail was a servant - and they are trying to undermine Hadis-e-kisa !which is about the purified ones ..

This was the interpretation that I was given by one person.

Hadith-e-Kisa is clearly asserts the importance of the ahlul-bayt as seen by the Shia and I have seen Sunni web-sites arguing that actually it is with reference to the Prophet's wives pbuh (as if).

Dua Kumayl is much more 'ecumenical'.

#8 Orion

Orion

• Advanced Members
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 07:45 PM

(bismillah)

(salam)

Bro first of all we will be happy to be dust under the feet (khak e paa) of the servants of Ahlul Bait (as) AND second you are mistaken.

One is related to the husband and another to the wife. Both are Masoom.

-Hadith e Kisa is a hadith narrated by Hazrat Bibi Fatima (SA).

-Dua e Kumail is the dua taught by Ameer al-Momeneen Imam Ali (as).

Both of these are the blessings of Allah and a gift of Ahlul Bait (as) to their followers. And Shia read them both, Al-Hamdulillah.

Kumail bin Ziyad was a close Sahabi of Maula Ali (as). Ameer al-Momeneen (as) who taught this dua to him. He was killed at the age of 90 and is burried b/w Najaf and Kufa.

WS

Edited by Orion, 10 January 2004 - 08:05 PM.

#9 Guest_so_solid_shia_*

Guest_so_solid_shia_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2004 - 10:38 PM

salam alaikum..

Hope im not going against anything INSHA Allah. But why do people recite hadith al kisa at weddings? in no way am i doubting the importance of the hadeeth but surely isn't it much more beneficial to recite a dua than to say a hadeeth every thursday night? (JUST ASKING... ALL YOU ONLINE MAULANAS AN MAULANA-ETTES DONT ATTACK) Remembering and acknowledging the hadeeth is one thing, but say for example you repeat the hadeeth every friday morning " I am the city of knowledge and Ali is its gate etc" ....will that benefit u rather than reciting a dua?

:huh: khoda hafez

Oh yeh....wasn't 'Dua Kumayl' Nabi Khidhrs (as) dua that Imam Ali (as) narrated to his companion?

Edited by so_solid_shia, 11 January 2004 - 10:39 PM.

#10 jlainqatar

jlainqatar

Mabrook alaycom as-shahr!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,840 posts
  • Interests:Islam, education, psychology, exercise/sports

Posted 11 January 2004 - 11:47 PM

Selam alaycom,

so so: Look at the end of Hadith e kisa, and you will know why people recite it at weddings or any time when they need blessings.

"Then Ali said to my loving father:

'Tell me! What merit the coming under this cloak has before Allah ?'

The Holy Prophet replied:

`By that Being, Who made me His Prophet and Who, for the salvation of mankind appointed me to prophethood! When any of our Shiites and supporters will assemble in a gathering of the inmates of this earth and narrate this Hadith, Allah will bestow on them His Blessings and Mercy; angels will encircle them and as long as they do not disperse, the angels will pray for the forgiveness of their sins.'

At this, Ali said:

`By Allah! We and our Shiites have now become triumphant.'

Then the Holy Prophet said:

'O Ali! By that Being, Who made me the righteous prophet and appointed me to the prophet-hood for the sake of people's salvation, whenever in the gathering of the inmates of this earth our Shiites and friends will assemble and narrate this Hadith of ours, and if some-one amongst them will be in agony, Allah will remove his trouble; and if someone was sorrowful, Allah will relieve him of his sorrows; will answer his needs.'
Then Ali said:

`By Allah! At this moment we have been crowned with success and Blessings; and by the Lord of Kaabah, in the same way our Shiites too have become triumphant and blessed in this world and the Hereafter.'

To hear a lovely recitation click here: http://www.imam-huss...io-ram/kesa.ram

Peace,
Um Ali

Edited by jlainqatar, 11 January 2004 - 11:50 PM.

#11 Haji 2003

Haji 2003

Shoekeeper

• Mods
  • 7,005 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 04:00 AM

Oh yeh....wasn't 'Dua Kumayl' Nabi Khidhrs  dua that Imam Ali  narrated to his companion?

Yes, from the commentaries that I have read about it.

#12 Abbas

Abbas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 04:19 AM

Salam Alaikum

I have noticed that in Pakistan people have started competing Hadeeth-e-Kisa with Dua-e-Kumail. This is due to ignorance.

As Shokat Raza Shokat said once, Hadeeth-e-Kisa is about Marifat-e-Ahl-e-Bait Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã, and Dua-e-Kumail is about Marifat-e-Rabb. There shouldnt be any comparison, both are good, both have been recited on Thursdays for a long long time, Hadeeth-e-Kisa is shorter and easier to understand (but by no means least important) and in some places recited more than Dua-e-Kumail.

Faqir, lets not go there and compete the words of Hazrat Zahra Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã with Hazrat Ali Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã.
Nobody is undermining the importance of Hadeth-e-Kisa when they recite Dua-e-Kumail, its no ploy against the Shias, so get this conspiracy theory out of your head.

So Solid, if you read the translation of Hadeeth-e-Kisa you'll understand. Dont underestimate the zikr of Ahlul-Bait Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã.

#13 Orion

Orion

• Advanced Members
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 05:47 AM

But why do people recite hadith al kisa at weddings?

(bismillah)

(salam)

Its for the Blessings. :)

WS

#14 Hasnain

Hasnain

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,548 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 10:00 AM

"In Dua-e-Kumail, the Ahlul Bayt tell us what Allah is, and in Hadith-e-Kisa Allah tells us what the Ahlul Bayt are."

Edited by hasnain, 13 January 2004 - 10:01 AM.

#15 khadijah-madina

khadijah-madina

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:54 PM

salam,

i have downloaded a copy of the dua kumail in english but am searching for a trasliterated version... can anyone help? and also, where would i find the Hadith e Kisa? pardon my lack of knowledge on all this but i recently left Sunni Islam and am sort of knee deep in trying to figure out proper Shia practice. inshaAllah, it is coming slowly but surely.

khadijah.

#16 Hajar

Hajar

• Advanced Members
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:24 PM

(salam)

I have it. It's one of those little books on the book shelf, you find it, it's yours. :D

WaSalaam, Hajar

#17 Salaam2u

Salaam2u

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:53 PM

salam,

i have downloaded a copy of the dua kumail in english but am searching for a trasliterated version... can anyone help? and also, where would i find the Hadith e Kisa? pardon my lack of knowledge on all this but i recently left Sunni Islam and am sort of knee deep in trying to figure out proper Shia practice. inshaAllah, it is coming slowly but surely.
khadijah.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(salam)

(bismillah)

Here are the links :

http://www.duas.org/hadis-e-kisa.htm

http://www.duas.org/...transliteration

You can also listen here :

http://www.hussaynia.com/dua.htm

Another useful link to Duas :

http://www.baabeilm....present_dua.asp

All the Best

Salaam2u

:)

#18 Muslim-Sister

Muslim-Sister

Follower of Ahlulbayt Insh'Allâh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:Alhamdulillâh for everything I got.. Thank Allâh every moment! The richest of people is (one) who is satisfied with what Allâh has chosen for him.<br /><br />If we could get arrested for being a Muslim, would the police have enough evidence to bring us in?

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:52 PM

(bismillah)
(salam)

Here are the links:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

JazakAllah for the links.. I was also going to ask for them, but khadijah-madina did it instead ^_^

Ma'Salaam..

#19 khadijah-madina

khadijah-madina

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:22 PM

(salam)

I have it.  It's one of those little books on the book shelf, you find it, it's yours.    :D

WaSalaam, Hajar

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Salam, Hajar,

you are the best! thanks! i will be scouring your bookshelf a.s.a.p...... :D

#20 khadijah-madina

khadijah-madina

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:25 PM

(salam)

(bismillah)

Here are the  links :

Salaam2u
:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ASalamu alaikum,

jazakAllahu khair, Salaam2u, i really appreciate it. i will check these out right away! :D

khadijah.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users