Sign in to follow this  
SinfulSoul

Stomach Ulcers

Salaam Alaykum,

I heard there is an Islamic doctor in this chat forum....

I would like to ask him, that I know someone who has a Stomach ulcer and he is unfortunately on pills every single day to help him digest his food otherwise the food rises back up the tube... thus making him wanna throw up or choke....

Unfortunately he has to take a pill everyday after eating so the food can Digest...

Is there any cure for this Islamically??

Plz could you let me know,

Looking forward to your reply....

And also this is open to the rest of the brothers and Sisters

Wasalaam @)

Edited by Hajar

Unfortunately he has to take a pill everyday after eating so the food can Digest...

(bismillah)

(salam)

I believe he is taking a pill to reduce acidity and heal the ulcer (and not to digest the food).

Taking a pill every day to heal the ulcer is no big deal. Once the ulcer is healed (few weeks) he may be able to stop the pill. However if acidity (reflux) continues he may have to keep taking the pill.

WS

Edited by Orion

Salam o elikum,

Ulcer and acid reflux are two different conditions but they can have similar symptoms (the most common of which is heartburn). Reflux is when the food in the stomach regurgitates back into the food pipe (esophagus) usually because the lower part of the pipe fails to remain tightly closed. The acid that the stomach wall produces to digest the food cannot damage the stomach itself, but it can damage the food pipe. This is what happens in patients with reflux disease. The treatment for reflux esophagitis is medication (antacids and some stronger medications if its severe). Also, patients should keep the head end of their beds raised. Infact the learn to do this themselves (keep extra pillows - this prevents refulx). Some pts. may have reflux because of a condition called hiatus hernia. This can be cured by surgey.

Ulcer is a condition in which the stomach or duodenal wall is damaged. The acid produced by the stomach now starts damaging the stomach or duodenum itself. Treatment for this condition depends on how severe it is. Many patients only need medications for a period of time after which the ulcer heals. But a healed ulcer doesnt mean that the person is completely cured, because there are chances that he might get new ulcers later on. Ulcers can also cause emergency situations in which the ulcer ruptures and there is lot of bleeding (which comes out with vomiting or feces). This is a dangerous condition and the patient must be operated upon to save his life. And if the ulcer has been there for many months or years, it can cause a number of other complications. Usually in these patients, surgery is done and the part of the stomach which has the ulcer is removed.

All pts. which reflux and ulcers should avoid smoking and fatty meals and eating too much. If your friend is non-muslim and drinks, he should also avoid alcohol. And drugs known as NSAIDS (pain killers e.g brufen) should also be avoided. These things aggravate the symptoms and can delay healing.

Islamic treatment......pray and read duas for health. And I believe there are some specific duas for stomach pain as well. The better learned people here could tell you about them.

If you need any specific info, plz dont hesitate to ask.

Wassalam.

Salaam Alaykum,

Thank you Doc for your kind information,

I have read online that there is a complete treatment for stomach Ulcers. Here is the Article, plz let me know what you think..

Cure for Stomach Ulcers

As a sufferer with stomach ulcers for the best part of twenty years, I was most interested in newspaper articles, a few years ago, informing of a "miraculous cures" for the complaint.

At that time I was taking Tagamet, a ulcer drug, and had been for many years. The problem with Tagamet is that it gives temporary relief. In my case, after a few months of leaving off the treatment the symptoms always returned.

The way Tagamet works is to reduce the acid levels in the stomach allowing the ulcer to heal. The problem is that the acid levels rise when finishing a course of treatment, and the stomach lining once again becomes agitated and the ulcer returns.

According to the reports the new "cure" involved a different approach to the problem. An Australian scientist, called Dr.Barry Marshall, had discovered that a particular type of bacteria, called Helicobacter pylori, and carried by most of the population, was the culprit. This bug is able to do what most medical experts say is impossible. It can live in the acidic environment of the stomach by burying itself in the stomach wall. The stomach then creates more acid to try to eliminate it and so creates more acid, and so the cycle go on. It seems that most people can shrug off the bug which upsets the stomach acid balance, but others are more susceptible and developed duodenal or gastric ulcers. Unfortunately, I was one of the unlucky people.

After years of suffering I was determined to try out the treatment.

When I presented the article to my doctor he informed me that the "bug treatment" had been known for some time. When I asked why I had not been offered it before, instead of endless supplies of Tagamet, he told me that the treatment did not always work. When I stated that the same could be said for Tagamet he just shrugged his shoulders.

He then laid out what would be involved in the treatment. I would have to take two types of tablets three times a day and another in the evening, seven tablets a day in total. The two in the day contained an antibiotic called amoxycyllin which killed the bug in the stomach wall. I was to take these for two weeks only. The other pill, which I took in the evening, was to reduce the acid in the stomach and allow the ulcer to heal. This was to be taken for a further two weeks after finishing the antibiotic treatment. I was also advised not to drink any alcohol over the period.

When I got home I checked out the drugs in a medical book noting the side effects. I will state these later, although the only one I suffered was slight diarrhoea. I then began the treatment.

Within a few days I was amazed by the change. By the end of the first week I found that I was able to eat foods that I had avoided in the past even when taking Tagamet, although I was careful not to over-do it.

After completing the treatment, at the end of four weeks, I was able to eat, or drink, almost anything. I had suffered so long with stomach ulcers that I found it strange that I was able to eat as I wanted. I have stated many times since that "I never realized that you could put food in the stomach and forget about it". In the past I always had acid activity or aching in the stomach after eating, but especially when the stomach was empty.

It is now nearly six years since I finished the treatment and I have had no further stomach ulcer symptoms of any kind. I have passed on information about the treatment to a number of colleagues and friends who suffered stomach ulcers and, like myself, they have been cured. One of my colleagues, who had part of his stomach removed as a young man because of ulcers, still suffered recurring symptoms in later life. He tried the treatment and tells me that he has a new lease of life, being able, like myself, to eat more-or-less what he likes.

I would state that I am not a medical person and frankly, not interested in the arguments of that profession as to whether a bug does, or does not, exist in the stomach. All I know is that every person I know that have taken the treatment for stomach ulcers has been successfully cured.

Why is it that even today, six years after my 'cure' the treatment is not always prescribed. You often have to inform doctors that you want to take it. Dare I say, however, that Tagamet along with other stomach acid reducing drugs is a world best seller, making billions for those particular drug companies.

Could there be a connection? I wonder.

Salam o elikum,

This article presents only one side of the picture i.e, the patients side. It is easy for patients and lay men to jump to conclusions about drugs and wrong treatments. The fact of the matter is that there is much more to it then is apparent obvious to patients.

First, not all patients who complain of stomach pain and heartburn have ulcers. What they have is non specific dyspepsia - a condition which can have many different reasons and in which pts. have symptoms similar to ulcers. In these patients, there is no need to give an antibiotic because there is no H.pylori in their stomachs in the first place.

Second, if there is an ulcer and it is due to H.pylori, there is a specific way to approach to it. There are different treatment option available and the doctor has to begin with the one that comes first in the list. You cannot go on priscribing antibiotics to every person who complains of stomach pain because unnecessary use of antibiotics produces resistance against them. That means that if an antibiotic can kill one bug today, and we start prescribing this antibiotic for every person, then eventually that bug will become resistant to this drug. Then the antibiotic will no longer be effective - it would become useless. So doctors have to be very careful in prescribing antibiotics to patients who dont need them. This is why inital therapy for ulcer beings with antacids (tagamet (cimitidine), zantac etc.) If the ulcer doesnt heal, then antibiotic therapy is given.

Thirdly, if the ulcer is not due to H.pylori, then again antibiotic would be of no use. NSAIDS can cause ulcers; there is no bug here. So no need for antibiotic.

Fourthly, ulcers which dont heal despite therapy may acutally be stomach cancers. And treatment for stomach cancer is usually surgical - part of the stomach is removed.

Doctors have to keep all these things in mind, plus there are many more. A patient who gets cured by some drug is obviously going to like it, so this article isnt much of a surprise.

How does someone know if she has an ulcer?

Stomach pain that comes and goes, often relieved by taking food or antacids, but sometimes gets worse with food. The pain is usually dull,aching and often occurs at night (wakes the patient up). Very serious patients can also get nausea, vomiting and weight loss. If the ulcer starts bleeding, then blood can come with vomit or in the feces. This is an emergency and needs quick management.

Wassalam.

(bismillah)

(salam)

I would just like to add a few things.

-H. Pylori infection is one of the many causes of stomach ulcers.

-There is a blood test (and also breath test) available that can indicate if a person has H. Pylori infection. If someone has an ulcer or reflux plus the blood test shows infection they can be treated with a combination of anti-biotics and anti-acid medications.

-Pills like Tagamet and Zantac are not as effective as medicines like Prilosec (Losec, Omeprazole) Prevacid and Nexium. Also Tagamet and Zanatc work for only a few hours while Prilosec and Nexium work for 24+ hrs.

-Doctors can run some tests to know if someone has an ulcer. e.g. barium x-ray can show an ulcer. Also doctors can put in a tube with camera into the stomach (via mouth) to actually see (and even treat) an ulcer.

WS

Edited by Orion

Salaam Alaykum,

I understand what you guys mean so what about the guy talking about an antibiotic called amoxycyllin??

What do you brothers know about this drug??

Is there a permenant way to get rid of Ulcers... I know there is Dua but Im sure something is available to get rid of these Ulcers..

Wasalaam @)

P.S. The problem with my friend is that his food comes back up the pipe hence makes him choke or wanna vomit if the tablet isnt taken. This is of course after eating usually.

Salam,

Yes, this info is correct. Thankyou.

Omeprazole is not an antacid. It is a drug which decreases the production of HCl in the stomach. And yes its much more effective than the traditional antacids.

Barium swallow/barium meal are routinely done in hospitals...and gastroscopy can be done to directly visualize ulcers. This is esp. important if there is suspicion of cancer. In this case, biopsy of the stomach is done (a small piece of stomach wall in taken out and examined under microscope to see if its cancer or not).

I understand what you guys mean so what about the guy talking about an antibiotic called amoxycyllin??

(bismillah)

(salam)

Amoxycyllin is a penicillin. One of the most common antibiotic used for general infections.

First of all your friends needs a proper diagnosis. For this he needs a barium x-ray (called upper GI series). He may also need an EGD (the tube test I discussed above). These tests will show if he has an ulcer or just inflammation.

He may also have something called "hiatal hernia" that causes pain and vomiting. An obstruction in food track can also cause vomiting.

He also needs a blood test for h. pylori infection. If it is positive he may have to take the antiiotic (like Biaxin or Amoxycillin + Prilosec).

WS

Is there a permenant way to get rid of Ulcers

With modern treatment methods, recurrance of ulcer is not a major problem now. Therefore, ulcers can be cured completely either with medication or by surgery.

The antibiotic amoxicillin belongs to the penicillin group of drugs. It is effective against a large number of bacteria and H.pylori is one of them.

. The problem with my friend is that his food comes back up the pipe hence makes him choke or wanna vomit if the tablet isnt taken. This is of course after eating usually.

Your friend may not have an ulcer. He may have a separate condition called achalasia. This is a disease of the food pipe, not of the stomach. Its a condition in which the food fails to move down the food pipe and the person feels as if it is stuck in the throat. He feels like choking. He can also complain of pain in the stomach and difficulty in swallowing. And this problem can be diagnoses by barium swallow which is a type of X-Ray of the food pipe and by another test which is better - a test done to find out the pressure in the food pipe. Once achalasia is diagnosed, treatment is surgery - the lower end of the food pipe is partially removed to relax that end..so that food can move easily down the pipe. Its temporary treatment can be drugs which relax the lower end, and perhaps this is what your friend is taking.

Edited by Aale Mohammad

Salaam Brothers,

Thank you very much for your information,

Inshallah I will talk to my friend and get all the exact detials plz pray that this Ulcer problem goes...

Will keep in touch and try to visit this post regularly

Wasalaam @)

There is a simple and accurate breath test to rule out H. Pylori infection. Also stool test with fecal samples.

It is a good idea to try the least invasive testing before going for invasive ones.