Hal Kana Al Nabiyu Umiyan ? ( Was the Prophet pbuh illeterate ? )
Proofs from the hadith that the Prophet pbuh knew how to read and write :
1. Al-Saduq narrated with sanad from Jaafar Bin Muhammad Al-Sufi From Abi Jaafar Al Jawad ( as ) :
( I said : O Son of Allah's apostle, Why was the Prophet named al Ummi ? )
( He said : What do the people say about this ? )
( I said : They say that : He was named Ummi because he didn't know how to write )
( He ( as ) said : They LIED !! MAY Allah'S CURSE BE UPON THEM !! Allah ( swt ) says : 2. It is He Who has sent amongst the "Ummiyeena" a messenger from among themselves, to rehearse to them His Signs, to sanctify them, and to instruct them in Scripture and Wisdom,- although they had been, before, in manifest error;- ( 64:2 ) How would he teacht them what He couldn't do ? and i swear to Allah that the Prophet pbuh knew how to read and write with 72 languages ( or 73 ) and he was named Ummi because he was from Ahlu Makkah, and Makkah is from the mother of the Qura ( ummal Qura ) and thats in : "لتنذر ام القرى و من حملها" 
2. Al Sha'abi narrated that He pbuh read "sahifat La'eena bin Hasan ( not hassan ) and told us wut it contained. 
3. From Abdulrahmn Bin Hajaj he said : Abu Abdillah ( as ) said : The Prophet pbuh used to read and write, and read wut he did not write. 
4. From Al Sha'abi that he said : The Prophet pbuh did not die until he wrote.
5. Al Suyudi has got from Abi Al Sheikh from the way of Majalid, he said : Awn Ibn Abdillah bin utba told me from his father that : The Prophet did not die until he read and wrote. So i told that to Al Sha'abi and he said : Sadaqt ( you have spoken the truth ), i heard our friends saying that.
Alal Al-Sharaei'e ( 3alal Al-Sharayi3 ) pg 123 and Al Bihar volume 16 page 132 and Basaeir ( Basa2er ) Al Darajat pg 245, Al Burhan ( Tafsir ) volume 332, Nour Al Thaqalayn volume 2 pg 78 and volume 5 pg 322 and Ma'ani Al Akhbar Wal Ikhtisas.
Al Mafsal Fi Tareekh Al 3arab Qabl Al Islam volume 8 pg 98 from Tafseer Al-Naqash.
Al Bihar volume 16 pg 134, Base'r ( Basa2er ) Al-Darajat pg 247, Al-Burhan volume 4 pg 333, Nour Al Thaqalayn volume 5 pg 322.
Al Jame'e ( jame3 ) Li Ahkam Al Qura'an volume 13 pg 352, Al Taratib Al-Idariya volume 1 pg 173, Al Bihar volume 16 pg 135.
Al Dar Al Manthour volume 3 pg 131
I have more but this is enough proof Insha'Allah to prove that the Prophet pbuh knew how to read and write.
- 3abdulrahman Chirri [ 2al 3amili ] -
Edited by Imami_ali, 14 November 2003 - 12:46 PM.